Bronco 1/35 Schwerer Wehrmachtschlepper (SWS) armoured version halftrack

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Los, appologies for not dropping in to see your build earlier, but what I have seen up to now - brilliant.
That 'Paper Shaper' is a product I wish was around decades ago, it saves so much mess and trouble.
Looking forward to more of your build.
Mike.

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
It's been a while since the sWS got any quality attention but I have been pottering with it on and off this year. The road wheel tyres were airbrushed with Tamiya Tyre Black and individual accessories painted.

IMG_5404.jpg

Before the cab assemblies can be fixed together the instrument binnacle, radio and wiring, seats and roof tarp were brush painted with Vallejo acrylics and the instrument decals added. My kit included two sets which was fortunate as decal number one did not represent the large left hand dial in anyway shape or form. Decal number two was used twice to represent the largest dials and some extra placards were also added from my decal spares box.

To seal in the paintwork and prepare for the external decals and all the upcoming weathering stages I turned to my favourite product, VMS satin varnish. This can be airbrushed direct from the bottle with a little thinner giving the model a good wet coat to level. It can be left a couple of hours in-between coats if required.

Exterior decals for this kit include just Wehrmacht number plates which you can add your own individual numbers, a weight stencil, one divisional insignia and a 'Thor' vehicle name seen on one period image. I added just the weight and number plates. These were sealed with another coat of VMS satin varnish.

This is the only internal reference pic I have. The instrument binnacle appears to sit a little higher than it does in the open top cargo variant. I'm not convinced a radio was fitted to these cargo vehicles. As I added the one provided in the kit I will now have to find a suitable spot on the exterior to add the aerial mount.

7257b7c2447c796fb51d6514a7c2336d_167518.jpg
IMG_5611.jpg
IMG_5612.jpg
IMG_5613.jpg

Before the cab received its final weathering and tones down all those severe chipped effects, a light coat of sand coloured lifecolor acrylics was airbrushed over a coat of hairspray over all the sub assemblies and scrubbed back, leaving remnants of the sand colour to simulate the first layers of dust and light dirt build up. A further coat of VMS satin varnish sealed all the work in preparation for the upcoming pin washes.

IMG_5618.jpgIMG_5619.jpgIMG_5620.jpgIMG_5621.jpg
As I would like to represent this vehicle in a late 1944 ETO setting the wet and damp conditions will require a darker coloured pin wash to add to the muddy running gear and lift the contrast to the monochrome base coat. More vibrant colours will be added by way of the accessories in the load area.

20220406_002329.jpg
ammo_lf_extrabox.jpg

Next up is to complete the cab interior, close it up and get some muddy wet weathering effects on the lower chassis.

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
The cab has been closed up. There are only four tiny locating holes to connect top and bottom cab assemblies and with the lower half having a slight downward bow a few clamps were required to hold it while the glue cured. There is a little clean up required but TBH it could just as well be hidden with dust and debris.

I have taken a few pics looking inside and while these images are always tricky to shoot with so little light available, I think there is just enough to see. While the two halves were separate I used a MIG neutral wash to highlight raised detail with a drop of MIG Dark wash added to darken corners and use to lightly speckly the floor and sidewalls. I still need to use a pencil to add a burnished sheen to a few places

IMG_5625.jpg
IMG_5626-2.jpg

IMG_5629.jpg
IMG_5630.jpg
Next up is to get the muddy running gear ref pics out and weather up the chassis and wheels.