Clearing a glue bottle "needle".

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I recently purchased a bottle of Revell Contacta Professional. On going to use it I found that the needle had been slightly bent in transit. This is no problem but the needle appears to have been leaking and is blocked. How can I clear this blockage ?. I believe I have read somewhere of using a flame. Usually use TET but it is proving useless on this kit. Any ideas gratefully accepted.
John.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Poke something down it as Tim suggests, but a fag lighter or candle flame works well too.

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
A bristle from a wire brush is what I use, but holding it over a flame does work to

Miko (Revell Contacta is the greatest asset to scale modelling since. . . )

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thank you all for you assistance. A few seconds over a flame and there was the "pop" as mentioned by Paul. Now to try it on this weird Italeri plastic !
John.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Boiling water in a shallow dish/saucer....

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I have recently started using this myself. when I have finished I lean the bottle against something making sure the tip is pointing at a angle upwards. I find this allows the remaining glue in the tip to run back into the bottle. Yet to have a blocked tip?

zuludog

SMF Supporter
I've tried those glue dispensers, but as we've all found out, they always block up, so I've stopped buying them

And I've given up trying to unblock them - I just make a hole in the hard plastic, and pour it all into a bottle of liquid glue, it's the same sort of stuff.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I have recently started using this myself. when I have finished I lean the bottle against something making sure the tip is pointing at a angle upwards. I find this allows the remaining glue in the tip to run back into the bottle. Yet to have a blocked tip?
You haven't lived until your tip is blocked Bob ;)

D

Deleted member 6598

Some 35 years ago, my then best friend also built models, and he always used the Revell glue bottles, that they sold back then already too. I very much remember him using a cigarette lighter to clear the needle numerous times, and did so myself as well back when I used to use it too. I soon switched to liquid cement with a brush, though, and in fact used the same Italeri bottle for something like 20 years until the brush was finally too far gone. (I refilled the bottle any time it got close to empty, of course.)

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
I blooming hate those fine applicator needles - If I need to use that type of glue I generally use Tube glue applied with a needle or cocktail stick.

But both the flame and wire method works well. The wire from those ties you get in freezer bag packs works well.