Das Werk 88 Flak on 9t Vomag truck.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking good. And that mate is the correct way of thinking. "my model my colour scheme"
Whilst I agree, it's rather tongue in cheek. The original paint was paler, but it was mixed. So the next batch was a bit darker. Anyway tested positive for the big C, feel like sh**, tried today but wasn't going to happen.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well got the bus/gun platform/transport finished (or will have when I decide about the windscreen) decided to keep the shell storage field grey, doubt who ever resprayed them would bother to open the doors.
The gun is also finished, though still to camo and detail paint.
Have left the 'steady pads' off until I do the diorama.
1000024137.jpg1000024138.jpg1000024139.jpg1000024140.jpg1000024141.jpg
A couple of issues in the build but that's down to me. A very enjoyable build.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks for the comments, just need to find someone who does the Das Werk 88 crew. I particularly want the guy sat looking through the range finder. Also need to get the Tamiya MG crew for what I have in mind...

D

Deleted member 6598

Do you mean these?

Das Werk 8,8 cm Flak crew.jpg

They’re an odd bunch, for a number of reasons. The second from right shouldn’t be there unless there’s someone sitting there operating the fuse-setter as well, and as was pointed out here, they’re not wearing the uniform they would have on in action.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Do you mean these?

They’re an odd bunch, for a number of reasons. The second from right shouldn’t be there unless there’s someone sitting there operating the fuse-setter as well, and as was pointed out here, they’re not wearing the uniform they would have on in action.
Yep they're the ones, spotted the second from right as well, though from the gun elevation theyd probably be using inpact fuses... I'll take your word about the uniforms, would have to look into that. Have tried altering figures before with out much success, had to cut the poor buggers legs off to make him fit.
What I don't understand is why Das Werk have made a specific crew for the 88 with only 4 figures, the crew were 8. People would pay the extra for a full crew, I know I would.
Anyway got the gun camo ABd and the decals on the truck so back to detailing next on the gun.
Oh and well impressed with the decals, no surround to them and the instrument ones fit perfectly into the dashboard mouldings.

D

Deleted member 6598

Yep they're the ones, spotted the second from right as well, though from the gun elevation theyd probably be using inpact fuses...
If they were firing against a ground target, they wouldn’t be using the fuse setter, no. I don’t think they did timed airbursts yet?

I'll take your word about the uniforms, would have to look into that.
It was @vizenz who pointed that part out somewhere in the Spots on the Internet thread :smiling3:

What I don't understand is why Das Werk have made a specific crew for the 88 with only 4 figures, the crew were 8.
I wondered about that too. Maybe they’ll release a second set with the others? But the poses in this set mean you would have to buy both regardless of whether you want the gun in the AA or AT role.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Humm, you know what Jakko, I can see a front puncture coming on, that's why there's no crew, they've already done a runner.
Think I'm going to have a trawl though the sites and see what other 'crews' are available. Think Miniart do a tank ammo loading crew.
Suppose it's the old saying, can't please all the people all the time.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I like it, do you think I could get away with them being on secondment, or maybe it was a very hot summer. I know purists with throw a ducky fit, but at the end of the day I'm after something that I'm happy with. Maybe 20 years ago I would want everything 'correct'.
Thanks for the info Jakko will have a look. May have to do some work on the figures, but look more business like than the Das Werk, and there's 8 of them...
Incidentally I'm in Budapest in October, might be interesting to see if I can find where the photos of the Vomag where taken.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
OK more pics, now have the gun finished and mounted. Unfortunately my big mouth (maybe there's no crew, cause they've already done a runner) has started me thinking. It's an artillery piece on a bus. Buses have problems going over rubble, collapsed buildings... hummm. Rethinking the diorama. 1000024237.jpg
1000024238.jpg
1000024239.jpg
1000024240.jpg

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Beautiful work Andy!!! I fell a bit behind, but I'm now with it. Yeah, the Vomag wasn't an ATV by any means. Too many tons and no ground clearance. I have looked around too for crew figures and there isn't much out there. Jakko's find with the DAK crew was one and I found a couple of others...

Dragon made a FlaK crew with 6 figures, Kit #6275, but they are in Fall/Winter clothing. Tamiya also made a set with 8, kit #MM131/35031, but they are kind of old and the same ones in their 88 kit.

The 88 is looking mighty fine and the camo is great too. Which ever way you decide to go, this will be really cool, and even better in a dio, Sir!!!

Prost
Allen

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy,
I have these if they are any good, figures
Thanks, offer much appreciated, but sort of decided to go instead of a couple of hours before the Budapest photo, to go a few minutes. I seem to be better at damaged buildings than habitable ones. Have a machine gun crew that I'm going to use.
Andy