Doug's 1/48 Airfix Sea King

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
MIG do a little pot of pigments and one is P023 Black Smoke. To apply just put the tip of a blunt brush or sponge into the mix, tap the brush on the edge of the jar and then stipple the colour onto the area you are doing - then blow off the excess and give what is left a brush with a soft makeup brush - and NO! not the one SWMBO uses to do her eyes, cannot have her going out looking like a Panda....
Will post you a pick later of my gun muzzle, got to go shopping so I am told, I do not go shopping, I am the donkey that hauls the bags from the car while she struggles with a 2inch plant pot....

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
One for our Chris. @boatman
Clear windows Chris!!
View attachment 508701
WOW Doug that chopper looks real what with all the interioa an you have done a very nice finish on it can we see some more different angle pics as i built two seakings for my tiger but nowhere near as good as this one you have done Doug very well done sir
chrisb

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
WOW Doug that chopper looks real what with all the interioa an you have done a very nice finish on it can we see some more different angle pics as i built two seakings for my tiger but nowhere near as good as this one you have done Doug very well done sir
chrisb
Wilco Chris - later. Have taken a few - will post when I have finished grooming the pooch!!

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Wow Doug, having just had a read through this thread (okay, admittedly it was a skim read in places - it's 16 pages!), I can safely say it's one of the best helo builds I've seen. Superb work, I think you're doing your old mount proud (and Sea Kings in dark blue are just cool :cool:)

:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thanks Arnold, especially for wading through my tome of a build. I do tend to do a warts and all blog as that way I can learn from mistakes and take advice from the experienced masters on here.
My next is going to be a nightmare for me I think. I know what I want to accomplish I simply don't know if I can scratch the extra bits in 1/72!!!

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Thanks Arnold, especially for wading through my tome of a build. I do tend to do a warts and all blog as that way I can learn from mistakes and take advice from the experienced masters on here.
My next is going to be a nightmare for me I think. I know what I want to accomplish I simply don't know if I can scratch the extra bits in 1/72!!!

No worries - I'll have a proper read later as I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to weathering and I picked up on some interesting stuff - however I'm actually supposed to be working lol :smiling: (I'm a freelancer working from home) but reading about modelling is far more interesting than updating training records!

What have you got planned next?

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Update, well mainly more canopy shots for Chris!! They all have to be fine tuned/tidied up. Can't find my reading specs at the moment. I think pooch has hidden them in revenge for being groomed AND bathed today!!

Pic 1.
IMG_1415.JPG

Pic 2.
This was before the first pic I posted earlier for Chris, I still have the cabin door in place, (acting as a plug to stop paint from going where I didn't want it to). I was happy to see the rotor brake lever, (red dot inside cockpit and the other upper console detail is visible).
IMG_1416.JPG

Pic 3.
Nose shot with barn door just put in place, Mmmm, few wrinkles in TKS decal!! Bum!!!!
IMG_1418.JPG

Pic 4.
Apologies for out of focus shot - phone doesn't like have to decide what to focus on!!
BUT, the idea was to show a wee plate I made to replicate the aluminium plate that secures the sea tray to the cabin door frame!!
IMG_1421.JPG

Pic 5.
Fwd window needs finishing off. But a better look at the sea tray bar.
The Mic-Tel leads I made are too big, scale wise so going to see if I can source a thinner wire and have another bash. I can do that at a later date if I must!! A few other additions, Ice Accretion probe, OAT probe and another I have just forgot what it was for!!
Glad I never decided to add hydraulic pipes to rotor head!! Maybe if I do another!!!! (Maybe not)!!!!
IMG_1422.JPG

Well, that's all folks.
I must say, even SWMBO gave a positive response. I don't usually get one of them from her!!
Ah well, back to the domestic chores.

Comments and criticism all welcome chaps.

Doug.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
As promised a pic of the muzzle....

Still agog at your workmanship on the SK, the latest pic is realistic...

View attachment 508712
The pigments make a softer finish than paint, and if not happy can be washed off with water....
Mike.
Thanks for the tip and showing me the results of the pigment, I may have to look at them now!! Nice realistic effect. I do like things when they look used!!
Thanks also for your remarks re the 'King', I'm glad it looking realistic, it was what I was striving after. 819's SK's were worked very hard. We had a great deal of operational commitments which meant hangar time was minimal!! Wasn't uncommon to have one strapped to one posterior for ten or twelve hours. (The knowledgable will know that is probably too long but when your searching for people it doesn't feel right going of task because your too tired.) Most memorable were searching for folk trapped in snow in the highlands. 13 hours in the air. Then searching for a suspecting sinking yacht in the Irish Sea - 10 hours!! Both didn't have nice endings!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
No worries - I'll have a proper read later as I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to weathering and I picked up on some interesting stuff - however I'm actually supposed to be working lol :smiling: (I'm a freelancer working from home) but reading about modelling is far more interesting than updating training records!

What have you got planned next?
Arnold, I've only been at this since last March so I'm no expert by any stretch. You need to look at the likes of Scottie, Mike aka scratchbuiler, Jakko, Tim Marlow to name but a few. Honestly you can spend all day just catching up on the good builds going on!! Sorry if I missed any of you brilliant guys out but I could write a list so long - you all do magnificent work.

As for what's next!! A Westland Wasp, 1/72. Been waiting for ages for a manufacturer to produce one that didn't need converting from a Scout!!
Also have a Helix, KA27 in the wings!! (bad pun). But that can wait, I have a thing about the Wasp.

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Arnold, I've only been at this since last March so I'm no expert by any stretch. You need to look at the likes of Scottie, Mike aka scratchbuiler, Jakko, Tim Marlow to name but a few. Honestly you can spend all day just catching up on the good builds going on!! Sorry if I missed any of you brilliant guys out but I could write a list so long - you all do magnificent work.

As for what's next!! A Westland Wasp, 1/72. Been waiting for ages for a manufacturer to produce one that didn't need converting from a Scout!!
Also have a Helix, KA27 in the wings!! (bad pun). But that can wait, I have a thing about the Wasp.

LOL! Well you're better than me Doug and I've been at this for nearly twenty years! But yes, there does look to be a fair bit of talent on here, I'll have to turn on my inner sponge.

I guessed it might be a Wasp, what a great little aircraft! Scratch building simple stuff in 1/72 isn't too bad once you start, so I'm sure you'll be fine!

That is a fabulous build BTW, I'm not surprised your other half gave you some positive comments!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Not much done in actual moving forward but I had to spend a fair bit of time fiddling!!
First, I made a tiny little probe to be a OAT Probe. (Outside Air Temperature probe!!) Then the usual - Twang = off it went into the ether, never to be seen again. As did number two!! Number three was go. In between looking for the tiny piece of plastic I thought I would drill a tiny hole in the centre windscreen to accept the probe as I could imagine staying in place was going to be an issue. Probe number three was cut to size, the end was slightly chamfered to fit in the windscreen hole. Made a Ice Accretion probe out of a tiny piece of sheet plastic, will fit next time I get to the bench.

Pic 1.
IMG_1423.JPG

Pic 2.
Next was the cabin door. More snags!! The wire stays came off. So again, out pin vice drill two more holes to accept the ends of the wire.
Upper section went in fine, took a measurement for the upper stay. (Which Airfix managed to miss!!) That's a tomorrow job. Bottom section was a tad awkward to keep in place. Just need to attach the wires to the cabin door entrance!

IMG_1424.JPG

As I said, not a lot but very time consuming!! Oh, I did manage to glue the sea tray retaining strip in place.
C&C's welcomed.
Doug.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looks great Doug. Just had a good catch up. You've certainly solved issues that you've come across. Love your coiled cables and painting when decals just won't conform. Weathering is fine.
Doug, you keep saying what a beginner you are but I think the results would say the opposite.
I have to agree with Neil's comment.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Looks great Doug. Just had a good catch up. You've certainly solved issues that you've come across. Love your coiled cables and painting when decals just won't conform. Weathering is fine.

I have to agree with Neil's comment.
Thank you Jim. I really appreciate your reading my epic build. I have enjoyed this build, it's been very useful having a history with this. Having Rick throwing in the odd reminder and keeping me as true as I can has been very useful. it was a shame the coiled cables were slightly out of scale but I'm sure I will find some suitable wire to make a few more.

No matter what you guys say, the truth is I am a beginner. This is only kit number four. Hardly makes me a veteran and I still have a long way to go before I would consider myself proficient. I have so far kept my builds to kits I have knowledge of, first car, the Chally was a result of 20 years at Bovington, the Army's HQ for its armour units so I saw them daily. Always within my comfort zone. Next, the Wasp. Well, I have history with that and have also contributed to a book about its operational life. (Some 40 odd pages). Looking forward to that.
Now the Helix will be a challenge!! That'll be a test for me. I'm not familiar with Soviet colour schemes and have only seen one close up and that was briefly. (Enough for them to give us a moony!!!!)
Thanks again Jim for your kind comments really gives me a boost from someone as proficient and yourself

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Doug love the pics of your S/K an very detailed an i also say you are a very good moddeller on that S/K to me it looks very real an a lot better than my attempts on my tigerss S/K but mine was the best i could do but yours are a whole step fuether very well done Mate a many thanks for showin all the angle shots of her brillint modelin at its best
chrisb