Doug's Mk5 ASW Sea King

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Evening folks. Well it was 5 months in the making. (Quick aint I???) :smiling3:
It's finished at last. Enjoyed the whole thing. As usual, tried something new. Made mistakes, some easily corrected some just left.
What I need to work on is decal application, not my strong suit. Lost a couple on this build but not losing sleep over it. My masking of clear plastic has improved, that was a plus. Experimented with the H&S Ultra, one needle does all, prime to thin lines and subtle weathering. (Yeah I know, some less subtle too!!)
As anyone that's been following will know I added a few touches of my own. The sea tray for one. 2mm plastic sheet cut to shape and added to the back cabin area. Experimented with the crew wooly seat covers. I actually bought a few aftermarket bits. Harness's. instrument panels for front and back seat crew positions.

Anyway, here it is. No fancy shots with neat backgrounds. It was all about the building and never about the presentation.

Pic 1
This was forgotten from the build thread. This is the line that stabilised the helicopter if it ditched in the sea. The guy in the left hand seat would deploy the sea anchor, (drogue/parasheet). Anything over sea state 3 or 4 and it was very likely the Sea King would roll over if it had already done so. The drogue kept the nose of the SK into the sea and hopefully keep it from rolling.
IMG_1437.JPG

Pic 2.
IMG_1435.JPG

Pic 3.
Port front.
IMG_1439.JPG

Pic 4.
Port aft.
IMG_1438.JPG

Pic 5.
The working end of a Sea King.
IMG_1434.JPG

Pic 6.
It's resting place until the garage refurbishment.
IMG_1441.JPG

Pic 7
Last one!! Honest.
IMG_1436.JPG

Thanks folks for all your support with my fourth kit. Much appreciated.
Having a couple of weeks lay off building due to wanting to gut the garage, a thorough clean, rip out some old shelving. Repaint and re-shelve.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well Doug, I've only ever built one helicopter and it wasn't easy. I reckon you've done a more than fine job with this. Glad you enjoyed it and learned from the build. Masking, scratch building, airbrush work, even woolly seat covers - all experience to take you forward. You should be very proud of that model.
Now get that garage sorted and onto the next build.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Well Doug, I've only ever built one helicopter and it wasn't easy. I reckon you've done a more than fine job with this. Glad you enjoyed it and learned from the build. Masking, scratch building, airbrush work, even woolly seat covers - all experience to take you forward. You should be very proud of that model.
Now get that garage sorted and onto the next build.
Roger - Wilco. :smiling3: And thank you for your support during the build. Without you guys and your advice and guidance I wouldn't have attempted half of what I did. My head is full of things I 'want' to do with the Wasp. Whether or not it feasible is yet to be seen. But!! If I don't try - I'll never know. Already have two boomers on back order. (AS12 missiles).

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Well done lots of details Doug. This is a great build thanks for sharing the whole build and the Completed pics.

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Well I only came in at the end but I'm really glad I did - that's a superb bit of work Doug, definitely one to be proud of!

Looking forward to the Wasp!

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
Good looking model with a great attention to detail. You can tell that this is exactly your topic. Well done! :thumb2:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is a cracker Doug. It looks excellent. The detail and finish are very good indeed and the care and effort you have put into the build is top notch.
Add to that, that the model itself looks a great kit to build. From what I have seen on here.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES Doug very well done on this S/K as the guys have said this is one to be proud of what a build my freind BRILLIANT
chrisb

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Stunning work doug , a great build lifted by your intimate knowledge and obvious fondness for the subject. All your added details really make a big difference . Fantastic job , looking forward to the helix .
Cheers tony

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Amazing build, Doug. Your knowledge of the S/K really shines through. Hard to believe you are a relative newby.
Apologies for a lack of comments from me up to now. I have been quietly following from the cheap seats.
John.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
One to be VERY proud of ,Doug, especially given your professed lack of experience with the medium(I don't think I believe it ,actually)
A thoroughly enjoyable build to follow(and I don't even like helo's....)

Top Job Sir