Equestrian Napoleon

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This is a 3D printed model from Fab365 - it has tp be primted in parts, due to the size!
It is based on the statue by Emmanuel Frémiet of 1868. It was originally sited in Grenoble, but was dismantled in 1870 after the Fall of Napoleon III. It was finally reassembled in 1930 at Laffery ( near Grenoble ), where the returning Napoleon, after escaping Elba met the Royalist troops sent to capture him.
en1.jpg
Difficult to say the actual size, but probably just over life size.
The model itself is aound 1/6 scale - large! I started by printing the head, which is why it's a different colour. I realised to do this justice, I'd have to print at a high resolution - so long print times - I had to revise my original files - most of the parts take around 8 hours to print, and the legs ars around 17 hours !
DSCF4866.JPGDSCF4869.JPGDSCF4867.JPG
DSCF4870.JPG

There are several areas where the print hasn't been successful - the reins in the hand
reins.jpg
DSCF4865.JPG
Just too thin to print!

I've decided to finish this as a bronze casting ( there were/are quite a few of these produced ) So I've just got some Darkstar Paints for this - meanwhile the printer churns on...................
Dave

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
By the way, inspired by you I've just used tree supports for the first time in 5 years or so - wow!
I've known about them for years but the only time I tried them they were terrible so I haven't bothered since. somebody must have done some work on the algorithm in the meantime.
so Cheers!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
By the way, inspired by you I've just used tree supports for the first time in 5 years or so - wow!
I've known about them for years but the only time I tried them they were terrible so I haven't bothered since. somebody must have done some work on the algorithm in the meantime.
so Cheers!
Tree supports work most of the time - but grid supports have their uses! Sadly, there's no real way of finding which is best, without actually printing!
The latest version of PrusaSlicer - 2.7.4.- seems to have been a big step forward. I'm printing at 0.1mm layer height 50mm/sec, with a raft, which seems to be the best compromise. I've found that tweaks in the slicer, using only Geeetech PLA, give me good results. Not that Geeetech PLA is the best, but dialling the tweaks to one particular make & sticking to it can give improvements.........................and of course slowing a print down helps!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After 17 hours and 54 minutes...........................
DSCF4873.JPG
Forelegs & Napoleons feet. I was concerned, as I thought the slim legs were a bit fragile - supports still attached - grid, as tree supports get very spindly on tall prints - but all printed with no drama.
I think this will be the single model that will have used the most Filament so far - I reckon it will take one complete 1 kg spool - about £13 - and about 100 hours of printing!
I think I may give the printer an overhaul after this, new belts, a new nozzle, and a good clean....................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
As prints take so long - I 've been looking at other figures, and this caught my eye..................
maximus.jpg
Maximus Decimus Meridius, - Russell Crowe -, from ' Gladiator ' - standard file print about 140mm tall.
Not surprisigly, there aren't that many detailed figure models as freebies! Loads of elves, goblins, trolls & other fantasy figures, but not a lot of what I would call 'normal' figures
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Last major part of the statue ( and yes, it's a stallion ) this took 20 hours 14 min.
DSCF4876.JPG
Only the rump, tail & the base pieces to go. I'll be using 2 part epoxy to join everything, it has a little wiggle time & is slighty gap filling. If I used CA, I'd probably need another bottle! There have been some areas which haven't survived, reins in hand, the bridle & bit, and one of his stirrups, none of them disastrous or irreplaceable. The reins will be repaired using aluminium cut from a soft drinks can. I'll flatten all the jointing faces with wet & dry for best fit - it's quite surprising how big & heavy it is, with the parts in hand!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Finally finished the printing! Not quite a full spool used..................
Nothing glued yet, thee are a load of blocks that act as jointing and locating pieces - yes, I missed off including his tail. it is printed!
DSCF4878.JPG
DSCF4877.JPG
DSCF4879.JPG
DSCF4880.JPG
Certainly a long print time. The printer has worked flawlessly, I levelled it carefully before starting & haven't touched it since, only to remove the finished print off the build plate. I used the same settings for all prints in PrusaSlicer. I did have one false start at the beginning, when I realised I'd have to print at a higher resolution to make the best of the model. I might be tempted to print this again, but at 1/16, rather than 1/6, and actually paint him naturally, but that's for the future
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very imposing. Disguising the joins may be an issue for a bronze finish, but not beyond your skills Dave.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Very imposing. Disguising the joins may be an issue for a bronze finish, but not beyond your skills Dave.
I suggest using the test strings from when you load the filament. it's the same stuff and can be glued in place using TET. better than using an entirely different material like a filler. On bigger, less detailed pieces, like my Tyrannosaurus head from a couple of years ago I have used the full filament and a soldering iron.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Wow! That is something else Dave. Aside from the hands, it's turned out very well.

ATB

Andrew