Gecko Models 1/16 Universal Carrier MKII (Bren Gun Carrier) - 16GM0016

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi guys

does any ody have any idea when the 1/16 Gecko kit of the Universal Carrier will be released? It was originally expected to be July, and now they seem to have said they will release a Mk 1 version as well, no idea when that is due for release.

Peter

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Peter
I’m waiting for this release too. I think it is imminent. Andy (of Andy’s hobby Headquarter’s) has already reviewed it and the additional engine set (sold separately). I’d say it should be in the UK within a few weeks. If anybody has any more certain news I’m all ears too!

Cheers
Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The 1/16 Pak 40 will be a popular release from Gecko too!

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi paul

seeing that they are also releasing the Mk1, I wonder if they plan some other variants - the WASP for instance?

Peter

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I wonder if they plan some other variants - the WASP for instance?
Maybe.
If not, there’s a basis for the after market guys to do some conversion sets.
Perhaps Gecko may take a look at the Loyd carrier too and maybe a 6 pounder?!!! They’ve already announced the Pak 40 so why not a British anti tank gun too!

To be honest, this is dreamland for me. We’ve really never had it so good. I remember I time when you couldn’t buy british soft-skinned vehicles in 1/35! It seems crazy to me that we’re now awaiting british vehicles in 1/16. Crazy but awesome!

Paul

D

Deleted member 6598

From a Universal Carrier to a Loyd Carrier is a big step, though — about the only parts that transfer from one to the other are those for the suspension. Everything else would need to be tooled from scratch, which makes it not exactly a trivial thing to do. Something like a Bren or Scout Carrier would be simpler, but also has a much more limited appeal than a Universal, so I’d say it’s also unlikely. Wasps of various types might have a greater chance, though.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
From a Universal Carrier to a Loyd Carrier is a big step
Thanks Jakko. I know the 2 are completely different vehicles :thumb2: Never say never though - Bronco gave us the Loyd in 1/35.
Like I said, I’m happy we have a 1/16 Universal Carrier which will go well with the British Stuart and the Takom 1/16 Jeep.
Looks like John now has it in stock
Just about to put my order in!

Cheers
Paul

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi guys

As Andy has siad they have arrived and are in stock with a number of suppliers. my wife pre-ordered one for my birthday in May andreceived and email over the weekend thatit was in stock, so hopefully in a few days ...

Peter

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Paul - I agree with you, the number of manufacturers is considerable, when I started in the 60's / 70's there was really only Airfix and Tamiya available, possibly Revell or Heller we went to France on holiday.

peter

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Peter
Mine arrived today. The parts look great - you’ll love it.
This will be my next build all being well
Cheers
Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
BTW
A big thanks to John for despatching my items so quickly.
A great service (as always) :thumb2:

Paul

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
That looks good, and agreed the springs do look excellent - wonder if they will behave like those in the 1/35 kit - roll off the bench and it is an hour with nose to the carpet...

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
I've opened it! tina returned yesterday, a couple of hours late due to her flight being delayed- the joy of living on an island!.

a big box, full of plastic and some etched brass.

IMG_1316.jpeg

IMG_1317.jpeg

the individual track links are small - even in 1/6th scale!! The pen gives an idea of the size:

IMG_1318.jpeg

looking at the instructions, it looks very much like a big version of the Riich kit.

there are a couple of things which could be improved:

1 - It would have been nice to have a wiring diagram for the radio, - does anybody have one?
2 - some painting details for the radio and the drivers instrument panel would have been useful.

one thing to note, parts Df5 - see photo below - are brackets used to support the deep wading screen which were used as part of the D-Day invasion. As far as i know these were not on vehicles used other than ax part of the invasion of Normandy So depicting one in Italy will need theses parts being ommitted.

IMG_1316.jpeg
Really looking forward to starting it - but, alas, that has to wait until I finish my ECW diorama.

Peter

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking forward to seeing one or both of these built. We rarely see military vehicles larger than 1/35 scale. It will be interesting to see how much extra detail there is.