Jakko’s Tyrrell P34, Tamiya 1/20

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I think they may have learned their lesson with that. The Tamiya kits I've done (aircraft & tanks) that were released in the last couple of years had much thinner decals than the few older ones I've done.
I sometimes have the impression that Tamiya did one print run of decals for each kit, enough for a hundred years’ production of it, so you still get ancient decals even with new issues of it :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Fitting the body to the chassis, I discovered that the hoses didn’t want to go to the radiators as they should.

IMG_1219.jpeg

It’s hard to see here, but I discovered by studying the instructions very carefully that I had gotten them wrong after all. They shouldn’t run to the bottom of the engine, but come out on the sides between the tie rods that run from the rear wall to the suspension. I managed to pull them off with pointy pliers, and re-install them in a more correct position:

IMG_1221.jpegIMG_1222.jpeg

I then superglued the body to the chassis:

IMG_1223.jpeg

… and then found that those pipes were clearly too long, even though I had cut them to the 35 mm Tamiya told me to. I held them up to where they should connect and snipped the exces off, then added the bottom hoses as well, ignoring the length from the instructions and just fitting them to the kit parts instead:

IMG_1224.jpeg

Both still have kinks in them that shouldn’t be there, but I don’t really see how I could not have those. Probably lack of experience with this sort of thing :smiling3:

I also did the tyres the other day. I had put them into the fridge for a day and a half, but still couldn’t get most of the seam off. Tough luck, I put enough effort into them that I’m not going to try for better anymore :smiling3: Here they are on the wheels:

IMG_1220.jpeg

Those are not painted, other than the hub bits. The instructions say they need to be semi-gloss black, and the plastic is just that already.

And then the inspector dropped by:

IMG_1226.jpeg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You would think something like that, but the instructions show the upper hose between the tie rods:

Hoses to radiator.jpeg

It was only when I noticed it in this picture that it clicked where the hose had to go. The picture where it tells you to fit them is not clear at all:

Fitting hose C.jpeg

Parts C18 have round pins, so you can fit them in any direction you like, so that doesn’t help at all. The only way I could get them to fit comfortably was pointing down too far, which is why they ended up that way initially.

In hindsight, what I should have done was put something like annealed copper wire inside, thick enough that it fills most of the hose. But because the ends are glued already, this isn’t an option anymore.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Nice update Jakko! The ice scraper Tyrrell is looking really good too! Love the 'Inspector' keeping an eye on your work. It's funny, but sometimes Tamiya-San doesn't get it perfect in the instructions.......Just wondering, did you put the tires in the fridge or in the freezer?

Prost
Allen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you have trouble with understanding instructions it gives me hope !
My excuse is that I’m not used to model car kits ;)

Love the 'Inspector' keeping an eye on your work.
I had just taken the model pictures (you can see the ring lamp, upper right, is still on) and heard a meow behind me. Sometimes he likes to come up to the attic and just nose around — but I’ve never seen him even attempt to jump up on anything, I’m glad to say.

Just wondering, did you put the tires in the fridge or in the freezer?
I said “fridge” but I meant the freezer, my mistake. Took them out one at a time and, it helped to get some of the seam off, but even after two nights at −18° they were still soft enough that it didn’t work as well as I’d hoped.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I envy those of you who have decals for the tyre markings. I had to hand-paint these:

IMG_1231.jpeg

The big ones are sort of OK, the small ones aren’t really, because my painting skills are not up to filling in 1.5 mm tall letters properly :sad: I also gave the hubs a coat of Tamiya X-27 Clear Red, because the instructions say they need to be gloss red, and my attempt to paint them with matt red plus some Army Painter Red Tone didn’t give a colour that I felt was deep or glossy enough. They look much better now.

I’ve also built the whole rear wing now:

IMG_1232.jpeg

The big wing was sprayed silver with an aerosol can of car paint I found, and once dry I could put all of it together. The front suspension is superglued to the body, but I had to clamp them from underneath to get them to sit (hopefully) correctly. The car now just needs a few bits added: some etched parts on the front wing, the instrument panel, the windows in the cowling, and of course the steering wheel plus driver. Talking of which:—

IMG_1233.jpeg

He apparently wore light blue overalls, which I tried to paint with Mr. Aqueous H67, RLM65 Light Blue, but that was more a blueish light grey than blue, so I next gave him two coats of Lifecolor UA 512, RLM 78 Hellblau, which at least is blue. Now to shade and highlight it, as well as paint the rest of his clothes and face.

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice Jakko .Those wheels with two normal size and 4 small do look odd , compared to what we've used to with F1.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking very good. Props to Herr Scheckter, steering tires next to you takes some learning curve to drive quickly.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Just had a catch up - looking excellent jakko . I see now why the Tyrell didnt win many races , not having any feet is a slight disadvantage for any racing driver :smiling5:!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Herr Scheckter
Meneer Scheckter, I think :smiling3: He was South African (though I can’t find what his first language is, so for all I know it’s Mr. Scheckter).

steering tires next to you takes some learning curve to drive quickly.
I suspect your average Formula One driver will get the hang of it fairly quickly, though :smiling3:

not having any feet is a slight disadvantage for any racing driver :smiling5:!
You may notice I haven’t fit the pedals to the car, because what’s the point? ;)

The lack of feet reinforces my thought that the figure is generic rather than for this particular kit, BTW.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Meneer Scheckter, I think :smiling3: He was South African (though I can’t find what his first language is, so for all I know it’s Mr. Scheckter).
He is Jody Scheckter from East London in South Africa, now living in the UK. I think his brother Ian also raced F1.
Jody is of Jewish decent, so English would have been his home language.