No injection allowed

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Hmm. This is a difficult decision. And I don't necessarily mean from me.
I joined the Racing Vehicle and Star Wars GBs, but couldn't post anything for 'technical' reasons. And here will be the same. So, I'll have a build but nobody else will see it!
One for the mods, methinks

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmm. This is a difficult decision. And I don't necessarily mean from me.
I joined the Racing Vehicle and Star Wars GBs, but couldn't post anything for 'technical' reasons. And here will be the same. So, I'll have a build but nobody else will see it!
One for the mods, methinks
Which 'technical' reasons are preventing you posting Chris? Is it the forum or is it your end?

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Which 'technical' reasons are preventing you posting Chris? Is it the forum or is it your end?
Simply put, our new PC
1 - Refuses to connect to teh intraweb properly - there's some new setting in there we can't switch on/off, even though the software is a clone of the previous machine
2 - It no longer recognises my camera as a valid USB device, even though it knows it's there and switches the camera on - the old PC had an integral memory card reader, so that solved that little piece of solution... If the bloody machine worked properly we'd just get an auxiliary reader

So, that's me unable upload any pics of three Churchills, the Honda RA272, the as far as I'm along with the B-Wing, and the Thunderjaw. So far
Maybe I'll scratch for a laptop or summat

We now return you to your eegularly scheduled programme

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Simply put, our new PC
1 - Refuses to connect to teh intraweb properly - there's some new setting in there we can't switch on/off, even though the software is a clone of the previous machine
2 - It no longer recognises my camera as a valid USB device, even though it knows it's there and switches the camera on - the old PC had an integral memory card reader, so that solved that little piece of solution... If the bloody machine worked properly we'd just get an auxiliary reader

So, that's me unable upload any pics of three Churchills, the Honda RA272, the as far as I'm along with the B-Wing, and the Thunderjaw. So far

Hi Steve. The failure to connect properly isn’t being caused by antivirus protection is it? I had infuriating problems with my iPad due to a clash with Norton 360 VPN protection and the native software VPN protection. Turned off the VPN protection on Norton and the problem went away.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
As a temporary solution........until you fix the pc with a large hammer.........could you not use a smart phone to take pics and upload?

Not the best but better tthan nothing
If I had a smartphone. Or any kind of mobile. Which I don't. And only once in the last, ooh, thirty years have I ever actually needed one! :tongue-out2: Is that the tight laugh emoji, or should I just write 'lol'?
Social media? Mobiles? MY twenty-first century was supposed to be flying cars and moonbases... Well, so long as the moon wasn't blown out of orbit...

Hi Steve. The failure to connect properly isn’t being caused by antivirus protection is it? I had infuriating problems with my iPad due to a clash with Norton 360 VPN protection and the native software VPN protection. Turned off the VPN protection on Norton and the problem went away.
We've been thinking it could be something like that. Except... Use an ethernet cable, it's fine. Wifi connection upstairs from the hub, no problem. Take it up one floor to it's usual and former location, it connects for about fifteen seconds, then it says 'no internet'

Okay, apologies again for the thread hi-jack, but thanks all for pointers and possible pathways to progress. Ha! Let's see accurate AI alliteration alike that!

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
As I'm going down my rabbit warren of possibilities, what are the exact rules please? Is this absolutely anything that isn't injection moulded? So dioramas, resin figures, metal figures, or does it have to be something built?

Reactions: JR

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
As I'm going down my rabbit warren of possibilities, what are the exact rules please? Is this absolutely anything that isn't injection moulded? So dioramas, resin figures, metal figures, or does it have to be something built?
I has to be a kit but just not the injection moulded even figures but they have to be constructed in some way ie just gluing arms on would in my view be OK

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Simply put, our new PC

As a last ditch attempt... Ask a friend with a smartphone or a tablet to go over the house and check the wifi signal.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
has to be a kit but just not the injection moulded even figures but they have to be constructed in some way ie just gluing arms on would in my view be OK
So you just lost all the scratch builders there Pete.
3D models or figures are very often one piece as the tech allows this to be possible. Are they also a no no.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
So you just lost all the scratch builders there Pete.
3D models or figures are very often one piece as the tech allows this to be possible. Are they also a no no.
I think somewhere the rule are starting to get lost in it's basic form the rules are thus
Any kind of kit be it scratch built card metal card ect ect so long as it is not injection moulded
The point I was trying to get across with figures (stand alone that is) there must be some kind of assembly involved otherwise it couldn't be a kit.
As for dioramas ready made figures would be OK as it counts as part of the assembly process
I think its as simple as I could make it if the rules need any tinkering with let me know so we bash it out and make it more clear (waffling on again)
Yours
Starting to get more confused

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Forgive me Peter but the term scratchbuilt and kit seem to be mutually exclusive. For me, scratchbuilt means made from raw materials, and kit means something you buy , an assembly of pre- made parts.
I interpreted the brief as including both,as long as it wasn't injection moulded.
Cheers
Neil

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As my title says build anything that is not injection moulded.
A quick summary is build anything that could be scratch built vac form wood metal so long as it is not injection moulded.
Basically no injection moulded allowed you could even build card if you so wish
I propose a six month build because of the complexity of some of the kits starting at the beginning of October finishing at the end of April
If I may be so bold:
Build a model built from any material that is not an injection moulded kit. Wood, Card, resin kits are fine. just not injection moulded kits.
A figure can also be of any material (other than the aforementioned injected plastic). As long as some assembly is required.
Most diorama are other materials any way so no worries there. If you are planning a diorama if may contain a finished kit but the build thread must focus on the diorama only, the vehicle can be added at the end. (unless the composition demands otherwise).
For the record, Mini-art buildings are vacuum formed so are fine.
No rules without exceptions.
A resin tank could use a set of plastic tracks. Let's face it resin track links are far from perfect!
If for a wood kit has a few parts in injected plastic, so be it
As long as the majority of the kit is NOT injection moulded.

@peterairfix Is this much what you meant to end with?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Peter

Interesting idea and very different, so count me in. I have a couple of resin kits in the stash I need an excuse to have a go at! And I even have a wooden bike somewhere! Plus I'm not committed to any other group builds at the moment.

Thank for raising the idea.

Andrew

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Vacform - check
3d print - check
Metal - check
Resin - check
Card - check
Hmm. I haven't got wood (ooh, matron! Sorry!)... Unless I get that HMS Surprise kit I've always wanted

Well, that's me sorted then
Except, you know the rest...

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Count me in Peter. I have just spent the grand sum of £10.50 delivered for a 1/72 resin kit. Waiting for it to arrive. As I've never built a resin kit before and the price may be a reflection of the quality it could be it never reaches completion. But my attempt should provide a few laughs before I bin it :smiling: