Papa695s Gecko models 1/35 Daimler Armoured Car MK1

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It could be driven forwards and backwards Arn. There is a steering wheel at each end….very like the German eight wheelers.
Except that instead of having a dedicated driver for going in reverse, the commander climbed down from his seat. This is also why there is a small vision port on the rear, above the steering wheel.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Except that instead of having a dedicated driver for going in reverse, the commander climbed down from his seat. This is also why there is a small vision port on the rear, above the steering wheel.
If they used a second driver they’d have to put in a stepladder and crowbar to get the commander in…..as there are no pedals I assume the driver did the accelerating and breaking and the commander just steered it…..

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
as there are no pedals I assume the driver did the accelerating and breaking and the commander just steered it…..
To the best of my knowledge, yes. Which poses problems if the reason you want to go in reverse is because something just came in through your front armour, of course.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
To the best of my knowledge, yes. Which poses problems if the reason you want to go in reverse is because something just came in through your front armour, of course.
The idea is probably to get out quicker without that happening Jakko. Got to be quicker than a three point turn anyway … ;)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Some odd design choices there. Main-gun ammunition racks from etched brass with plastic tops, so they will look to scale thickness when left empty, I guess, but the shelves on the hull walls are moulded in plastic. The other way around seems like it would have been a better idea. All those etched bits under the driver’s seat also seem a total waste of effort, both the design and to have built them …

Anyway, nice work putting it all together, as that can’t have been overly fun :smiling3:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Some odd design choices there. Main-gun ammunition racks from etched brass with plastic tops, so they will look to scale thickness when left empty, I guess, but the shelves on the hull walls are moulded in plastic. The other way around seems like it would have been a better idea. All those etched bits under the driver’s seat also seem a total waste of effort, both the design and to have built them …

Anyway, nice work putting it all together, as that can’t have been overly fun :smiling3:
Yes very over designed Jakko, but it’s building up nicely so far.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
I think it looks great Ian, and it seems like you're having fun, which is what counts.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great work Ian , a very fiddly ,detailed interior. It looks fantastic , shame to hide it all , is there much visible through open hatches etc ?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Most impressive. A tribute to patience and skill especially the PE. Having read Jakko's comment I have to agree that Gecko's choices of what to make out of PE is a bit odd.

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
The level of detail and standard of finish is phenomenal, at least it gives us mere mortals something to aspire to.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Late in, as usual Ian...Nice work so far and that sure is a lot of blammo for the turret gun! 52 rounds in such a small vehicle.

Can I ask what color you used for the shell casings? And, is it sprayed or brushed on? It looks really good...

Prost
Allen