Reaching the Limit?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Woken up by a thunderstorm & torrential rain at 02:00 - had to get up & have a cuppa & a quick browse, to see if I can find any more suitable figures. It's tricky to find 'real' models - I can find lots of fantasy figures - including entire zombie football teams! I was looking for Greek era figures, when I searched for 'Spartan' - oh dear - that threw up a load of homo-erotic busts/figures, largely based on Gerard Butler in '300' :astonished:
It takes all sorts I suppose.....................
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I got woken at 4 by a thunderstorm.... Not sure what woke me up at 5:5 though.....

Those are turning it very nicely indeed Dave. You really are nailing this 3d printing business

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I suppose I'm working away at this because I don't have the facilities for resin printing! I'm beginning to get the quality level higher, at least on the larger figures, - smaller things, still a WIP
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After 17 hours, and about a hour of removing supports..........................
DSCF4917.JPGDSCF4918.JPGDSCF4919.JPG Sadly, his axe didn't survive the clean up - I'll have to do some creative slicing & just print the axe off alone - he does have a fancy base, but I'm giving the printer the afternoon off.
The sculpting isn't quite the same standard as the Romans I printed, but still good.
I thought I'd found a real cracker of a model - a 1/6 Crusader Knight - however , when I looked at the construction, the body was in essence a mannequin - with printed helmet etc, and with templates for making his surcoat, cloak etc from fabric, like a DIY Action Man!
I don't think my talents will stretch to needlework!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm now trying to go down in size, - as the model becomes smaller, then definition is lost, a smaller bore nozzle will help, but that means a whole lot of tweaks in the slicer to be redone, and increasing the print times...................
This is labelled as Achilles - a rather stylised pose, but the sort you see on the side of Greek urns
DSCF4920.JPGDSCF4921.JPGDSCF4922.JPG
This is in two halves, legs, and the rest. There is an option with a sword, and no helmet - bearing an uncanny resemblance to Brad Pitt in ' Troy '
BP.jpg
I prefer the helmet on - only on film would a hero be rash enough to fight bareheaded!
I'm going back to revisit some of my original prints from early last year. Whilst I was happy with the results at the time, I'm going to see what I can produce now
I came across a bust of 'Magneto' from X-Men ( Sir Ian McKellen )
magneto.jpg
That would take 20hrs+ to print, I'm not that big a fan of X-Men!
Dave

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I originally printed this model on 22nd July 2023 - for some reason, I was never able to print the complete model, and had to cut him down to head & shoulders ( model cleaned up ) ....................
july 22 2023.JPG
The same model, printed yesterday ( nearly 11 hours )
DSCF4923.JPGDSCF4924.JPGDSCF4925.JPG
DSCF4926.JPG
These are images with the supports removed, no clean up. The major difference is the ease of removal of the supports - tweaks in the slicer have seen to that/ Quite happy with that.
I have been printing these models, but as yet not painted any - I'm afraid the reason is my poor health, it has been declining over the last few months. I'm off to hospital on Friday for some more tests, and maybe some answers
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I was never able to print this out properly, last year - a 12 hour overnight print
DSCF4927.JPGDSCF4928.JPGDSCF4929.JPG
The Night King from GOT. Handsome chap Eh! Aside from all the xlicer tweaks, I now print at a much slower rate - just a matter of finding the right balance between quality and acceptable print times
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Fingers crossed that your tests at the hospital do come up with the answers.