Rick’s 1/72 Airfix Chinook HC1 - Bravo November - a dream sheet build

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Back to the bench after holiday and business travel and I’ve applied the black underside and rotors with Tamiya XF-69 NATO black. The rotors got a slapdash application of XF-1 flat black for a bit of a weather beaten effect.
The first coat of varnish applied (Mig paint is soooo fragile). A second will go on before decals go on.

IMG_3960.jpegIMG_3961.jpeg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Deathship decals applied.
All the aircraft serials, roundels and sqn decals done. Al of the RH side stencils and most of the walkways are applied. Only the LH side, engine and blade decals to do. I hope to have this done for the IPMS Stoke show next weekend.
A point to note: the fin flashes need to be applied before the VOR-D aerials as I discovered too late.

IMG_3979.jpegIMG_3980.jpegIMG_3981.jpeg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice Rick, I assume it'll be ready to show at the weekend.
Seeing the width of the blades you can see how it got its nick name of Woka -Woka!!! The real ones used to scare me. All that inter-meshing!!! Shudder!
Hopefully. It’s had a sealing coat of varnish over the decals, next task is a pin wash into some of the seam lines. I’ll try and concentrate on the panels that open rather than the butt jointed skin panels that are fixed. It’s a personal preference, but I think it more realistic that access panels that are opened often (and there are many on a Chinook) should be highlighted this way.

The most common name we had for Chinooks attached to 230 Sqn in Northern Ireland was “deathship”. 230 Sqn was a Puma HC1 unit with two Chinooks attached but maintained by our groundcrews. Aircrews were rotated through from 7 or 18 Sqn.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Just catching up rick , excellent work , it looks fantastic . I really must start the 1/48 one in the stash , when I do I’ll be bugging you with lots of daft questions ! Cheers tony

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just catching up rick , excellent work , it looks fantastic . I really must start the 1/48 one in the stash , when I do I’ll be bugging you with lots of daft questions ! Cheers tony
I’ll look forward to your build Tony and offer any advice you need. My experience on Chinooks was rather limited to say the least with only two cabs compared to fifteen Pumas the bulk of my efforts were elsewhere.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Masking off. Just adding the delicate bits that are easily knocked off…like the wheels!
Both of the rotor head are done and ready to fit. I still have the HF aerial masts and pitots to fit.
The ramp is done and ready to install including some plastic rod to mimic the ramp actuator pistons.

IMG_3990.jpegIMG_3991.jpeg

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Masking off. Just adding the delicate bits that are easily knocked off…like the wheels!
Both of the rotor head are done and ready to fit. I still have the HF aerial masts and pitots to fit.
The ramp is done and ready to install including some plastic rod to mimic the ramp actuator pistons.

View attachment 516545View attachment 516546
Nice Rick - very nice. Good luck in the show.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
This is just about finished, it’s been set aside for the glue to dry then a quick check for any minor touch up.

Come and see it at IPMS Stoke this weekend.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
This is just about finished, it’s been set aside for the glue to dry then a quick check for any minor touch up.

Come and see it at IPMS Stoke this weekend.
Love to mate but Stoke is a tad too far for me these days!!!
I'll beat Chris to it and say - don't forget to take some pictures if you get the time!!!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
A really super job - don't forget to spray some underarm foo-foos inside - I remember it well! (And they said we 'ponged'!) :cool: Good luck in the Comps mate.
Steve