Scotties Humber lll

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Finally getting back to this. Now the tracks are done on the Buffalo.

This is easily one of the most complicated chassis I have ever built but that said it went together a lot easier than I thought it would.

DSCF4428.JPG

DSCF4429.JPG

Next stage will be to paint up this stage before further assembly.

Next is the hull base and engine firewall. The instructions call for a white interior and that is what I will go for although some of the reference pics I have seen it is silver.

DSCF4430.JPG

finally for this update. I saw on line that Riesen toffee wrappers make a good leather finish so thought I would give it a try. I think it works plus you get to eat the sweets.

DSCF4431.JPG

cheers
Scottie

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Finally getting back to this. Now the tracks are done on the Buffalo.

This is easily one of the most complicated chassis I have ever built but that said it went together a lot easier than I thought it would.

View attachment 516436

View attachment 516437

Next stage will be to paint up this stage before further assembly.

Next is the hull base and engine firewall. The instructions call for a white interior and that is what I will go for although some of the reference pics I have seen it is silver.

View attachment 516438

finally for this update. I saw on line that Riesen toffee wrappers make a good leather finish so thought I would give it a try. I think it works plus you get to eat the sweets.

View attachment 516440

cheers
Scottie
Reisen wrappers - your too damn cunning for words Paul. :thumb2: :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Riesen toffee wrappers make a good leather finish so thought I would give it a try.
Sounds a bit suspicious to me. Just an excuse to munch through a load of toffees. Bet he uses the foil from the top of wine bottles and Ferrero Rocher trays to mix paint. Cunning :smiling3:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Sounds a bit suspicious to me. Just an excuse to munch through a load of toffees. Bet he uses the foil from the top of wine bottles and Ferrero Rocher trays to mix paint. Cunning :smiling3:
Works for me!! (Munching toffee I mean). ;)

john hutton

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hello Scottie,
Just back on site after yet another small hiatus and walked straight into a Scottie special, nothing wrong with that i am chomping at the bit, all that plastic and your secret stash of extra bits ;), what is not to like. Great start already on the engine matey. I will have to remember the toffee wrapper trick, i need to find a use for Pontefract cake bags...sure i can come up with one:rolling::rolling:. Looking forward to your next post Paul.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Reisen wrappers - your too damn cunning for words Paul. :thumb2: :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:
Not my idea but they look pretty good, plus it's a good excuse to eat the sweets.
Are they that colour naturally or have you painted them?
(Just asking for a friend...)
Neil, tell your friend that they are this colour and you get the faded fabric looks by screwing them up a few times.
Jim, we have the same cunning ideas not that I drink wine Hic!
Works for me!! (Munching toffee I mean). ;)
Of course I know you don't touch the grape.
Well, when your teeth fall out, don't come crying...
Regards
Gummy from Luton.

Build coming along as usual - I think the interior would be silver not white.
Hi gummy, I have had a look and as far as I can make out this vehicle came out after they had changed to white for the interiors following the shortage of aluminium for the silver paint. I am however willing to beThanks corrected by people with more knowledge than me.
Hello Scottie,
Just back on site after yet another small hiatus and walked straight into a Scottie special, nothing wrong with that i am chomping at the bit, all that plastic and your secret stash of extra bits ;), what is not to like. Great start already on the engine matey. I will have to remember the toffee wrapper trick, i need to find a use for Pontefract cake bags...sure i can come up with one:rolling::rolling:. Looking forward to your next post Paul.
Hi John, good to see you again mate. There is not a lot I can add to this kit apart from a few cables or brake lines its very well detailed.
The wrappers have worked nicely, good idea!
Thanks Steve, but I can't take credit for it.
Guess what SWMBO bought me today????

A packet of Reisen chocs!!! I'l be saving them thar wrappers methinks!!
ha ha well don't ruin your appetite I don't want your Mrs. to moan at me if you don't eat your dinner.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Work is continuing slowly on the chassis and crew floor. A sharp blade is essential as there are some very small pieces indeed to be fitted. This does lead to some very good details.

I was going to add some cabling around the drivers area but decided not to as it will not be seen when all buttoned up. For the first time in a kit I have built the spring hangers are separate items so you don't get that solid blob of plastic. Which saved me a lot of time changing them.

DSCF4432.JPG

DSCF4433.JPG

DSCF4434.JPG

All in all this is a challenging build given the very small parts but very enjoyable.

cheers
Scottie

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That colour change would work out, and working from my views inside the Ferrets it was silver for them, so you could be correct.
Modern AFV's are silver I think they changed back shortly after the war. It is a strange paint it never seems to really go hard. Having worked inside them with black coveralls and coming out covered in silver smudges.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking good Paul.
The chassis and engine bay are nice and ‘busy’ :thumb2:
Love it

Paul

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cracking workmanship every time Paul!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Could be a 'Silver Dream Machine' the way it's going Scottie!
Steve

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This model is very well detailed but I couldn't resist adding some cables and pipework

DSCF4435.JPG
this is the fuel tank plumbing also added a change over tap.

DSCF4437.JPG

given the detail on this kit the battery was very basic. So I have added some cables, securing straps and the main isolator switch.

DSCF4439.JPG

And a bit of detail to one of the doors.

cheers for looking
Scottie

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This model is very well detailed but I couldn't resist adding some cables and pipework
It’s got to be done Scottie!
Great detail work going on here. It will make all the difference to the finished model.
ATB
Paul