Scratchbuilt 1/50 twister ride

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm still undecided on what to build next so I've made a start on this for a mate. The idea is a fairground twister ride, packaged up for transport.

Something like this :

1000008905.png

It all started with a 1/50 low loader trailer

1000008895.jpg

So far I've just added a base. The checker plate was far too flexible on its own at 0.5mm so I built the bed, steps & paybox platform out of 2mm first and laminated it.

1000008903.jpg

Lots to do but it's a start before a few days away on holiday.

The little balsa wood shim under the front of the trailer keeps it at the final ride height so I can keep it looking level

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've started making the paybox. A while ago I bought a load of small magnets, one of their intended uses being to help me keep things square during assembly:

1000008914.jpg

Plenty of angle profile and Slaters micro strip later, I gave it a coat of Halfords primer to get a better look at how it was turning out:

1000008913.jpg

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cheers Jim.

Worryingly I'm getting a bit bored of regular models, 'once you've built one plane/truck/tank, you've built them all' kind of thing, so I'm hoping a detour around some completely different sides of the hobby will get the juices flowing again.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Cheers Jim.

Worryingly I'm getting a bit bored of regular models, 'once you've built one plane/truck/tank, you've built them all' kind of thing, so I'm hoping a detour around some completely different sides of the hobby will get the juices flowing again.
WELL Andy i think you are right about once you have done one of a kind it gets a bit sayme so good luck on this very colourfull build as that why im glad the guys voted for my diamond backs superhornet as all the colours on that will keep me happy an a real change from the low vis planes that seem the norm now
ATB on the build
chrisb

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've done a bit more on this, constructing the folded up sides/base. I've also made a start on the actual mechanism, with the central rotating pillar and three arms, two stowed for transport.

1000008971.jpg

1000008974.jpg

Much more to do but it's starting to take shape.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Coming on a treat. All looks very neat. Apart from the photo in your first post are you working from references or just winging it?

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A bit of both Jim. I've got a few pictures of the real things but they don't show much of what's going on inside. My mate has sent over a few ebay links with models for sale, so using those as a guide too.

Things like this are selling for £150 - £170. I'm not in it for the money but I don't see how anyone can make a profit once you factor in the hours spent

1000008975.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
A bit of both Jim. I've got a few pictures of the real things but they don't show much of what's going on inside. My mate has sent over a few ebay links with models for sale, so using those as a guide too.

Things like this are selling for £150 - £170. I'm not in it for the money but I don't see how anyone can make a profit once you factor in the hours spent

View attachment 515169
KEEP this comin Andy as im lovin every miniute of it
chrisb

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I think it's the same with many, handmade, one-offs. Even taking the time spent at minimum wage no one would pay. A friend of mine did calligraphy as a hobby. He was very good. Someone asked him to produce a family tree for them . He gave them a price and they were horrified, went off in a huff :rolling:

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Neil and Paul. I'm enjoying doing something a bit different again which always seems to push me along.

Plus I'm having trouble sleeping again lately (Dr prescribed something today) so I've had a few extra sessions of Midnight Modelling™

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
As usual I've got bored of building so I'm taking a break and getting some colours down on the parts that are ready. I'm using the same (gaudy) colour palette as the waltzer ride I knocked together recently, but with a different design.

1000008994.jpg

There's still much more to do but I needed a break from the boring part for a bit.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Oh boy, this is wild, excellent scratch work!
Thanks Steve, much appreciated.

It won't be very detailed but as long as it resembles the subject I'll be happy :smiling3:

I've been working on the paint scheme. I always knew the green would be an issue over the darker colours but it was far worse than I thought. After 7 coats I was beginning to think I should have masked & sprayed it instead :smiling5:

1000009008.jpg

1000009009.jpg

Much more to go, but so far I'm 21 hours deep (the first time I've ever taken note), which already puts it way outside a profitable exercise.