Spanner's Academy 1/72 Catalina PBY-5A, Maritime S.A.R.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the nice compliments chaps. :thumb2:

Because I'm changing the beast completely from the kit version, there are no suitable decals in the box for the SAR I'm attempting to model.

There are a couple I can use, but I'm not going to pay daft money just for a set of correct decals, even if they exist! So I'll try and paint the ones I need directly onto the plastic :cold-sweat:

For obvious reasons, ;) I'll cut my teeth on the lettering on the underside of the hull.

This morning I ritt out the letters in pencil to more or less the correct size and painted them. A bit wobbly, but I just wanted to 'overcolour' the pencil lines. The letters will all have a black edge, so tight painting was not really necessary at this stage.

Here's the initial work.

P1350704.JPG

P1350714.JPG

Tail planes glued on too.
P1350715.JPG

When this stage dries, I'll outline the letters in black.....I hope!

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Look at that, top chippie and now a sign writer.
I remember building one of these during my first round of modelling, that must have been the old Airfix kit. This Academy, looks to be miles ahead in terms of quality, not to mention the splendid, colourful work you are doing.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have like the Catalina ever since I built the Airfix one when I was a child.

You are doing a great job with this one.

I just wish someone would bring out a 1/32 Cat (as well as a 1/32 Sunderland!)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the great comments, chaps. All well received. :thumb2:

Again, because I didn't have the decals, with a heap of endeavor and an even bigger heap of luck, I've brushed on the 'USAF' to both wings.

First I painted on a dull aloominyum 'patch'
P1350734.JPG

Then penciled in the letters.
P1350735.JPG

Brush painted the USAF in black, added the port 'star' decal. Thank goodness I had a couple in the decal bag!

At first, I had thought I would have to brush on the thin black 'go faster' stripes. Luckily, I had a suitable length of decal, but it was 5mm wide, so I had to cut this down to very thin ones for the wing. Bit of a ball ache, but I managed - Just.

P1350739.JPG

P1350740.JPG

P1350744.JPG

P1350743.JPG

Antenna, lights and engine thingies added and the paintwork neatened up.
P1350745.JPG

Apart from the two floats, props and some more weathering, the wing is finished.
Going from an all over matt black to this was a toughie, and I'm glad it's now behind me.

I've also added the black stripes to the yellow band on the tail section. These I had to cut a bit thinner than those on the main wing.
P1350741.JPG

Next, I'll tackle the cockpit and two side blister's framework. :cold-sweat:

Cheers all.
Ron

Last edited:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I agree, it’s all the better for being painted, looks superb.

As a matter of interest, Maketar do a range of generic markings in all major scales, so you might be able to find stars and bars masks for future projects from their website.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
There's just no end to your talents Ron!!! Fantastic job painting the lettering in such a small scale Sir. I really can't wait till this is done either. Your good lady will have it easy this time too. Chucking it in the water, instead of chucking it up in the air. Bet she's happy...

Prost
Allen