1/24 Airfix Spitfire (the new one)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That's probably the best way to go. It needs to be a very thin/small tube.
I feel a rummage coming on!
You could always glue the nylon into the tube, cut it off flush on the end then add a button from plastic card…..probably easier than melting the nylon reliably….

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You could always glue the nylon into the tube, cut it off flush on the end then add a button from plastic card…..probably easier than melting the nylon reliably….
I've done it with somewhat thicker stretched sprue to make what amounts to a plastic rivet. Maybe stretched sprue would be easier than the fishing line, it's just a question of making it thin enough to do the job.

I may end up lowering my sights somewhat :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good Steve. Hope you sort out the wire issue!!

ATB

Andrew

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Rather annoyingly the small matter of earning a living has reared its ugly head.

I've had some time over the last few days to get as close as I can to finishing but I may fall short of the finishing line this week :smiling3:

All the decals went on nicely, though they are somewhat impervious to Micro-sol. Because I sprayed the markings they were mostly just the stencils etc. The Popeye artwork is a decal. I thought about painting that by hand but discretion got the better part of valour! It's definitely doable at this scale.
It's all toned down with a coat of satin varnish (Winsor & Newton 'Galeria' acrylic).

varnish.jpg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very nicely done indeed Steve!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Today's job was cancelled which gave me the time to get this finished! Just as well, otherwise it would have been the end of next week.

I've posted some 'proper' pictures in a completed thread here:

I'll just end this thread with some of my personal and unbiased conclusions about this much vaunted kit from Airfix. I'm just a bloke who likes putting kits together, I have no dog in this or any other fight. I've built the other popularly available Spitfire kits in this scale, so I do have points of reference.

It's a very good kit. The fit and engineering are excellent, some, like the fit of the undercarriage is exceptionally clever, you can't get it wrong. The molding is a little bit less impressive. You are going to find seam lines and unfortunately positioned ejector pin marks which will need sorting out. The decals, at least those I used, were absolutely fine and they give you plenty of options. I'm sure more after market stuff will be available.

The instructions are very good, I even followed them for most of the build:smiling3:

I don't think you can say, as some have, that the quality of this kit equals the best of Tamiya's 1.32 scale uber-kits, but that's hardly the point. In the end, if you want to build a large 1/24 scale Spitfire the kit selection is a no brainer, it has to be this one. I would recommend it without hesitation or qualification.