1:32 Hawker Hunter - Miss Demeanour!

T

T. van Vuuren

DO you need detail pix of anythig? I'mm working on the Swiss T68 Hunter this week and can take a few.

Theuns

B

Boldman

Building proceeds apace!

Went together reasonably well. Some filler needed on the engine as you can see, some on the joint between for fuselage and rear. The wings neede some careful fitting as they had to fit over the engine intakes and into slots which took some to get them to align well and some sanding to thin the edges of the wings to fit in the slots. Once fitted, there were a few gaps which were filled with Mr Dissolved Putty.

having a bit of a problem with the gun pack. The model OOB has very pathetic trenches for the guns, so these have had to be opened up a bit as MD has some very visible "guns" as you can see here:

I went into Reading Modelzone yesterday to get some narrow plastic tube for the guns, but they didn't have the 2mm tube I believed I needed so I got he closes which was 2.4 mm but thats too large. I think I'm going to have to go down to the 1.6mm rod and drill a hole in the end. Will just have to make sure I don't spend another £50 in there like yesterday... that Academy sale just puts too much temptation in front of me!

Anyway, the canopy is masked up and the inside has been painted with Nato Black. In addition, notice the "blob" just in front of the cockpit... that is the Garmin aerial which I've built up using a very small plastic card plate to get the right shape (or as close as I could get) and a blob of Mr Dissolved Putty on top to form the curved edges. That stuff is so bloody versatile, I wonder how I ever got by without it before!!

I'm really pleased with this progress, at this rate I'll be ready to start painting tomorrow and that gives me a whole week to make a total mess of the paint scheme lol!

B

Boldman

I've been thinking about how I'm going to paint this and first things first, need to be able to rotate it smoothly, so I got the turntable and did this:

Its supported on its tail by foam and masking tape and will rotate nicely. With a bit of tape holding the base to the table its quite stable. Next it to start with the masking, following the instructions from Robin Carpenter from Cammett with Tamiay masking tape, a plastic bag from sinsburys and some normal masking tape.

I've moved the compressor etc into the spare room as it has good sunlight in the late afternoon and better ventilation that this room, so here goes...

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
This is going to look amazing andrew , cant wait to see the paint start going on! 5 stars already for having the cojones to tackle this scheme in the first place !!!! cheers tony

B

Boldman

Thanks Tony - just takign a breather from the painting so here is the first stage... white plus two shades of yellow so far, 100% yellow and 10/50 white yellow. Thought I'd messed it up when I accidentally brushed against het yellow while turning it and wiped some off - agghh! It seems to have recovered now...

Orange mix next...

C

CDW

if you can continue the gradient as good as that for the rest i think you'll have cracked it Andrew.

Not the easiest paintjob to reproduce eh ? :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Brilliant start andrew , this is going to look wicked! cheers tony

B

Boldman

Orange...

Had to stop part way through and do a strip-down clean of the airbrush as I was getting spluttering and blobs. Once it was fully cleaned all went well.

Red next...

D

delmonteman

NOW it's starting to look amazing! Keep going.......

Sent using my fat thumbs and Tapatalk

First Name
Michael
Looking fantastic, watching and waiting with baited breath.......great stuff.

B

Boldman

Thanks guys :smiling3:

So finally for now, the reds...

You can see the colour variation more in that second photo than in the first.

So thats where I've got so far today. The next bits are a bit more difficult... the grey and light blue bands are 10mm and 15mm wide apiece and have quite defined demarcation lines without them being too sharp if you see what I mean. These will require inverting the masking for this part. I've totally run out of yellow paint (2 10ml bottles used so far along with the same amount of isopropanol thinner, but then the yellow had to be mixed to create three different shades - white/yellow, red/yellow and pure yellow. Will have to visit Hobbycraft or Modelzone in Reading tomorrow to pick up another couple as I think I need to touch up the yellow orange demarcation just behind the cockpit - I think it needs to be further down the spine that it currently is to give the proper arc.

I've sanded down a little bit of the roughness from the paint, not much, just enough to take the edge off. Next I'll unmask it and leave it to funnly cure overnight before re-masking tomorrow. So that means I can spend the rest of the evening catching up on past episodes of Homeland... just got up to ep 6 today with 6 more to go! :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Wicked!

Waiting nervously for the next part.

Ian M

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
A fantastic result so far Andrew I'm impressed you really have got it down to a fine art. Well done!!

Vaughan

B

Boldman

So tonights work looks relatively straightforward but was far from it!

Re-masking the whole thing! This masking needs to be perfect, spot on. No paint creep can be allowed on this one! First off I sanded down the raised line where the previous paint had butted up against the previous masking tape. Then I laid down the new curve with a lot of roughly 5mm strips of Tamiya masking tape, a couple of mm inside the previously painted dark red. Then I gave the tape strips a paint over with maskol to try to fill any gaps to stop any paint creep. Then I taped the plastic bag over the top, fixing it with normal masking tape and once again giving that joint a coat of maskol to seal any gaps.

Its too late now to start any painting, but I did stop off at ModelZone in Reading to day to get another couple of bottles of yellow, plus some Royal Blue to do the dark blue with. There are in fact three blues, a light blue, followed by what they call "roundel blue" to which I've got XF-4 as a reasonable match, then will use X-3 Royal Blue for the dark blue. I'm going to give this a try on the fuel tanks to check that the colour is good.