1:32 Hawker Hunter - Miss Demeanour!

First Name
Michael
Great stuff, really enjoying watching this come together, fantastic work.

B

Boldman

Having just tested X-3 Royal Blue on the fuel tanks, I think it is a prety goot match to the dark blue of Miss Demeanour's tail and wing tips!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking great. I've never seen this one built before.

B

Boldman

Well that was a close run thing! Almost made a complete balls up of the paintwork! Did the grey stripe last night so this evening I thought I'd be a clever b****** and make the transition between the grey and light blue a bit softer so used blue tack to form the edge. Well of course once the paint had dried a bit and I took off the blue tac, discovered a very wavy line :sad: I then re-measured the width of the grey stripe to go back to using masking tape and discovered there was some significant overspray so like an idiot I dabbed some isopropanol and ALL the paint came, blue grey and even primer... taking it right down to bare plastic!!! aghhhhhhh!!!

Thankfully I had plenty of grey left over so was able to overcoat the bad spots, but this does set my timescale back as I'm now back to where I was yesterday and I still need to remask and paint light blue! I will have a go later tonight in abotu 3 hours to give the grey time to dry out more so at least I can mask the gry out and spray the light blue later tonight.

In the meantime I did spray the stand to match :smiling3:

and the fuel tanks sprayed with the dark blue from yesterday's test

Fingers crossed I don't screw up again!

Last edited:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
That's a very cool stand Andrew.

Vaughan

B

Boldman

Thanks Vaughan I like the stand too, every time I catch it out of the corner of my eye I just have to look at it again :smiling3:

Well I spent 3 hours watching the last couple of episodes of Homeland (bloody marvellous by the way!) and that was enough to give the grey paint a good chance to dry out, so finished masking it up and just sprayed the light blue again. I'm not sure its going to be perfect, but in the grand scheme of things I hope it won't be all that noticeable. I might need to do some touching up when the masking comes off but that will now have to wait until all the paint is on. Leaving the light blue to dry now until tomorrow evening and its now time for bed...

B

Buttonman

Wow that looks amazing. When I used to work at Kemble they used to refurbe Hunters there used to go and chat ever now and again missed out on a test flight.

I don't know if there still there new the air craft painter there but the planes were mostly black but that was over 15 years ago.

Martin

B

Boldman

This morning I got up a bit earlier and managed to mask and spray the roundel blue stripe and leave it to dry while I went to work. Then this afternoon, left work a bit earlier than normal and have been able to mask the roundel blue out and then spray what I think will be the first coat of dark blue...

I think I'm going to need another coat once this one has dried a bit so I'm off t'pub for a couple of hours this evening and since I'm driving I won't be drinking much so when I get back I should be able to give it the second coat before bedtime.

And then tomorrow will be the great unmasking, which will let me give it a good couple of coats of Klear tomorrow and Saturday morning, then by Saturday evening I can start on the decals. There won't be much in th eway of weathering to do on this as its kept pretty pristine and shiny - when the paint job was done they made an effort to fill in the panel lines with putty and sand it smooth as you can see here:

So I won't be making great efforts to highlight the panels or dirty it up like I would normally do on a plane. This means I can conceivably finish before my Monday deadline!!! Wow!!

M

mobear

now i cant wait lol,(drums fingers and taps feet,lalalalalalalaaallalalalaalalala)

mobear

B

Boldman

(drum roll)

TADA!!!!

The photo makes it look much better than it actually is... the demarcation line between dark red and grey is very blotchy and there has been some paint creep

Here is a larger version

I think I'll be doing some touching up this evening, hopefully it won't take too long and I can progress to putting some Klear on as well... the clock is ticking...

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Wow Andrew that's great. All your hard work is paying off. I'm looking forward to the end result.

Vaughan

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks fantastic. But what's the big hurry?

IanM

B

Boldman

I have a deadline because I'm going on holiday next tuesday and I'm building this as part of a Single Type Group Build on another board and the deadline for that is 20th May which is during my holiday... The Aliens Dropship took so long it left me behind schedule for this one...

B

Boldman

Sadly on closer inspection the demarcation line between dark red and grey was very ragged and has required a bit of extensive touching up with a hairy stick which brings its own problems of getting the paint colour to match since this is quite a complex colour mix and gradient! Looking at it again I think I will need to do some remasking and spraying even after the brush touch up just to blend in the brush edges, however this is going to take time and so I've had to sacrifice my original build schedule and slow down, which means there is no chance of completing the build before I go on holiday next Tuesday. I was getting too stressed with my previous timescale and thats no good - this is supposed to be a fun hobby and this evening all the fun had vanished. So I'm going to slow down and do a proper job rather than trying to rush it.

Good news is that the pilot arrived from PJ Productions today

So that means the cockpit can proceed as well. I've got a bit of a busy weekend ahead with getting ready for holidays, so not sure if much more progress will be made, but if there is, I'll be sure to update this thread :smiling3:

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
you have made the right decision Andrew. This has the potential to be an incredible looking model. Take your time mate, you will get there in the end.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
you have made the right decision Andrew. This has the potential to be an incredible looking model. Take your time mate, you will get there in the end.
Quite right Steve. I'll bet building to deadlines takes more fun out of our hobby than anything else.

Andrew, you're doing a fabulous job so far - be a real shame to spoil it at this late stage.

Mind you, I don't usually mind deadlines too much. I just love the whooshing noise they make as they go past me!

Gern