1/32 HKM Do335 B-2 Zerstorer

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This unusual aircraft might be called the ‘push me pull you’ due to its usual engine configuration. It was also nicknamed the ‘anteater’ based on its unusual look.

HKM have four versions of this aircraft in 1/32 and Zoukie Mura 2 versions. Yet only about 40 Do335’s were produced with only a few of those seeing action. Yes, I know it’s an unusual looking aircraft, but I just don't get why so many kits of it are available in 1/32 specially given the rather boring limited camo scheme. I know Luftwaffe aircraft are ‘cool’ and popular but when there is not one single new tool 1/32 Hurricane from a mainstream manufacturer it seems very odd.

That said, I have wanted this kit since reading some reviews but did not really want to spend over £150 on it. But then my Missus had a problem finding something to get me for my birthday...... now I have it....

Let’s look at what we have.
The box
E76C3BCF-2DE4-40D3-8D55-A50B1A8F718E.jpeg

Two slightly different versions neither of which saw action. I decided on 14, with the clipped wings and a few other modifications.
3098D00A-07E8-4DF3-84AE-E61B4DF95376.jpeg

Plenty of plastic well packed in the box.
36BAC81B-4E81-44F0-A2ED-342DC1D924D5.jpeg

Some aftermarket
D4B8C726-DA75-4B62-AF89-56B42BC7B150.jpeg

There is a nose weight, a little etch and here are the decals.
D7AE9E7A-926D-4B3B-8C01-D1E9203D7F44.jpeg

I have ordered some Maketar masks so the decals won’t be used.

The surface detailing is superb.
13038871-5208-4D86-BF19-EA163B9142C5.jpeg

It was nice to build the Trumpy Hurricane with its very traditional engineering. HKM though use the latest methods of tooling including slide moulding and innovative engineering. It really benefits from this, I love it.
1FFD51A2-9A1E-4DE9-B610-CF1DEA6B1FBF.jpeg

Finally my bench, cleaned up and ready for this build...
F1B57725-50E5-467A-9F0C-59C2C3FD2E8C.jpeg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I just don't get why so many kits of it are available in 1/32 specially given the rather boring limited camo scheme. I know Luftwaffe aircraft are ‘cool’ and popular but when there is not one single new tool 1/32 Hurricane from a mainstream manufacturer it seems very odd.
It’s the same in all fields of military-related modelling: German is cool and sells, anything else isn’t. Or so the manufacturers believe, anyway. There are almost more kits of Tiger tanks (not individual kits, but releases) than there were real Tigers built, and it seems Luftwaffe subjects are no different.

Anyway, another interesting aircraft. I’ve been wanting to build one in 1:72 but haven’t so far, so it’ll be nice to see what you make of this rather larger version.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Yes German models sell better indeed, still a nice subject though, I had a 1/72 model of this plane as a kid but didn't know a 1/32 model existed. Enjoy your clean desk and have fun with the build :thumb2:
Steven

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
OOHHHH the light, the light. Windows, how green is my envy. Beautiful set up. PaulE

Reactions: JR

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
i will start cutting plastic tonight. I have just re-organised my airbrushes, obtained a new one and sidelined two old ones.

I am now using these three:

my old trusty H&S Infinity, I still consider these to be the best airbrushes around partly due to the easy breakdown. I am keeping this in reserve with a small .2 needle fitted. It will be useful or the odd job that needs a little extra precision and a fine line.

A5422BA6-E8B3-4D1A-BA94-57B5133D4B49.jpeg

in November 2019 I bought a Topnotch having seen and tried it at Telford. I had been suffering from frequent cramping of my finger airbrushing these large 1/32 models and I found that the pistol grip solved that problem. Consequently the Topnotch became my workhorse. I have now decided to fit the spreader cap to use it specifically for primers and varnish coats. It is a great airbrush but it does lack some refinement.
C2DAB58C-4AA6-4131-AB14-5CBF41FDE8DA.jpeg

My new airbrush is a Iwata Neo. I though the Neo range was meant to be a basic cheap range, but not this, it is the most expensive airbrush I have bought. It has, as you can see, a pistol grip along with a .35 needle set. Having had just a little play it does seem to be that little bit better than the Topnotch. I transferred the crown cap I had on the Topnotch to this one, a perfect fit. This will be my new workhorse which has the flow regulator at the back to help control paint flow just like the Infinity and Topnotch.
C5CFB49C-D2D7-4BEE-9E03-38A0EDADA231.jpeg

We will see how this lot works out on this build.... you know what a tool whore I am!

D

Deleted member 7181

For the longest time I was toying between the TRN1 and the Mr Hobby PS-275. In the end I bought the latter, but it would definitely benefit from a proper handle for longer sessions.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
Strange looking craft but the quality of the kit looks superb. I have no doubt you'll turn out another stunning model.
A question if I may. Are these pistol grip airbrushes dual action? Normally it is press for air and pull back for paint but on the pistol grip ones there seems to only be a single movement..
Jim

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi Barry
Strange looking craft but the quality of the kit looks superb. I have no doubt you'll turn out another stunning model.
A question if I may. Are these pistol grip airbrushes dual action? Normally it is press for air and pull back for paint but on the pistol grip ones there seems to only be a single movement..
Jim
Yes they are. Initial pressure is just air and as you pull it back further paint flows. I find them very controllable.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks Barry
That sounds a very sensible set up.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Of course Jim will like your bench and how tidy it all looks, suppose you will be gaining membership any day soon, unless you already have it ?

Will be interesting when you can compare the Iawata to the H&S. I have the H&S and love it.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Of course Jim will like your bench and how tidy it all looks, suppose you will be gaining membership any day soon, unless you already have it ?

Will be interesting when you can compare the Iawata to the H&S. I have the H&S and love it.
I would describe the Iwata as an excellent general purpose airbrush. I had a little practise with it today and tried spraying some fine lines. It is pretty good all in all. For comparison I also tried some fine lines with the Infinity and found it easier for this with finer lines and less overspray. Not really surprising though, it is what you would expect using a .2 needle compared to a .35.

The Topnotch (a Grez with a couple of modifications) is also a good airbrush and does some pretty decent lines but despite being a .3 is not quite as good as the Iwata .35 at that (or the Infinity of course). I do like the spreader cap and that makes it perfect for the purpose I now intend.

I think using these three airbrushes in the way I plan will work great.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I would describe the Iwata as an excellent general purpose airbrush. I had a little practise with it today and tried spraying some fine lines. It is pretty good all in all. For comparison I also tried some fine lines with the Infinity and found it easier for this with finer lines and less overspray. Not really surprising though, it is what you would expect using a .2 needle compared to a .35.

The Topnotch (a Grez with a couple of modifications) is also a good airbrush and does some pretty decent lines but despite being a .3 is not quite as good as the Iwata .35 at that (or the Infinity of course). I do like the spreader cap and that makes it perfect for the purpose I now intend.

Thanks for your reply Barry, yes I agree having the differing needle sizes is good, I have a normal H&S which has a .4 needle in used mainly for primer in light passes

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have now cut plastic on this build and the interior is coming together really well. Given the unusual configuration of this aircraft I am being a little cautious in my approach. Fit is superb but tolerances are fine and I have had to sand/file a little just to prevent using too much force.

Here is the cockpit sub-assembly.
1B561D3C-A1AF-4C1B-B12F-189007E1FFCC.jpeg

I was not previously aware that this aircraft had an ejector seat!

More of the interior build up
35314398-C601-4B70-8E6B-7EB4788F3CCC.jpeg

I attached the ‘pit. As usual I will not have all the hatches open so only the it and wheel wells will be painted.
56B68077-FBCD-4084-B6AC-20BA168F8F2D.jpeg
0FD1E5D6-4150-482B-91F4-9BFF16EE0019.jpeg

I have started the engine.
16ED4379-D343-46A5-A33F-8B383F2580F9.jpeg

These arrived today
0732B009-C512-475C-81EB-BBB79EF2B781.jpeg

And I finished the rear engine. I have to say that it is a really nice engine. Well detailed and all the piping actually connects. It might almost be Tamiya!!!!
C95B2DF0-0F00-48A2-8E01-FB1368175DF2.jpeg

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob

Thanks Barry

Tried spraying today but had a lot of pain from fingers and wrist, having ME has brought a lump on my wrist and pain from this and fingers

Looking at the Iwata had a pistol grip should be less pain for me, so will have a look around. I have a Sparmax with a .2 needle so hopefully will have all bases covered?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks Barry

Tried spraying today but had a lot of pain from fingers and wrist, having ME has brought a lump on my wrist and pain from this and fingers

Looking at the Iwata had a pistol grip should be less pain for me, so will have a look around. I have a Sparmax with a .2 needle so hopefully will have all bases covered?
Hopefully you will find the pistol grip a great help.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looks like Neil's engineers have found a nice place to fit the weights, Barry. This is a huge kit for a single seater. Getting a comfy chair for this and watching as I have a Tammi 1/48 that's in the list of next builds. Can't compare that with the size and construction next to your 'Lilliputian' hands.:smiling2: Everything is so big. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Rear rudder/elevator/prop assy could be detached by firing explosive bolts before bailing out. 475mph made it a "fast brick". PaulE