1/32 Me 163 B "Komet" Hasegawa

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well fellow modellers I've been away for a while and thought it was about time to stick some bits together. Somewhat inspired by Vaughan's "Salamander" (you know that's going to be good) I dug this kit out from the cupboard as it should be a relatively quick and easy project.

I'm not tempted by the red scheme or the other boring grey prototypes so I'm going to make a camouflaged version of the previously boringly monotone V5 (PK+QP) operated by Erprobungskommando 16 at Bad Zwsichenahn, post Peenemunde and pre Brandis, in the summer of 1944. This not least because there are some decent photos taken at this time to refer to!

Hopefully it will look something like this:

I am toying with the idea of doing an in flight pose, shortly after this!

This will show Lippisch's beautifully designed lines without the skid and tail wheel deployed or the undercarriage dolly attached. I just need to find a suitable pilot and make him look as if he is wearing the protective, synthetic, flight suit :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great subject matter Steve. This particular German jet is missing from my stash and I'll be interested to see what you make of it as I understand it's a bit basic, according to reviews.

Looking forward to this one and the scheme is a good choice.

ATB

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Great subject matter Steve. This particular German jet is missing from my stash and I'll be interested to see what you make of it as I understand it's a bit basic, according to reviews.Looking forward to this one and the scheme is a good choice.

ATB

Paul
It looks pretty basic. I'll add some sprue shots to the thread when I get a chance. I don't think it will be a complicated build, particularly with the skid and things up.

Cheers

Steve

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
look forward to seeing this go together, even tho its 1/32 it cant be too big

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice choice steve, I made this one in my youth (just shows how old the moulds are!!!) and from what i recall it was a great little kit, superb fit and good detail in the cockpit , plus a reasonable replica of the walter rocket motor too. Just be careful with the nose prop , its very fragile (go on ask me how I know)Looking forward to this one , cheers tony

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Well fellow modellers I've been away for a while and thought it was about time to stick some bits together. Somewhat inspired by Vaughan's "Salamander" (you know that's going to be good) I dug this kit out from the cupboard as it should be a relatively quick and easy project.

I'm not tempted by the red scheme or the other boring grey prototypes so I'm going to make a camouflaged version of the previously boringly monotone V5 (PK+QP) operated by Erprobungskommando 16 at Bad Zwsichenahn, post Peenemunde and pre Brandis, in the summer of 1944. This not least because there are some decent photos taken at this time to refer to!

Hopefully it will look something like this:

I am toying with the idea of doing an in flight pose, shortly after this!

This will show Lippisch's beautifully designed lines without the skid and tail wheel deployed or the undercarriage dolly attached. I just need to find a suitable pilot and make him look as if he is wearing the protective, synthetic, flight suit :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve
.................... and a facial expression of "Oh Sh***************ttttttt !!!!!!!!!t" ...........

Peter

T

treyzx10r

Looking forward to seeing you work your wizardry on this one Steve!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Just be careful with the nose prop , its very fragile (go on ask me how I know)Looking forward to this one , cheers tony
You're not supposed to fly it around your bedroom making suitable rocket noises :smiling3:

The sprue shots as promised. Not a tremendous amount, just two, but as Tony remembers they are nicely moulded with what I can only assume is some accurate detail.

The British marked option did pique my interest. There was much excitement about the possibilities of rocket powered aircraft at the end of the war. The British shipped at least twenty Me 163s back to the UK compared with only seven jet powered Me 262s and ten He 162s.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Just had a look in my spare decal box steve and ive found whats left of the decal sheet from yonks ago. It looks as if the decal options were different , the red PK+QL is on there but no british option. Theres also some unit insignia and serials , from what ive gathered not a lot of 163's had badges , nevertheless the rocket powered flea (thought to be maybe JG 400?) and the one of Baron von munchausen riding the cannon ball are on there. If theyre any use to you , you can have them (they are over thirty years old though!!) cheers tony

View attachment 67644

P1110831 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
I'm looking forward to this one Steve and as with mine shouldn't take long in the construction in fact it looks simpler than mine!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks very much for the kind offer Tony. I'm sticking with V5 now which didn't sport an emblem. Had I known that you had the JG 400 emblem in your box I might have considered something else :smiling3:

Vaughan, it is very straightforward, particularly as I'm thinking of doing the rocket motor separately! I'm waiting for some RLM 81 from White Ensign at the moment and that might end up being a determining factor.

I've got the basic cockpit tub built and with a first coat of RLM 66. Once I do some detail and sort out a pilot I'll post some piccies. Incidentally the instructions give RLM 02 for the interior on the prototypes like mine, but that seems unlikely to me so late in the war.

Cheers

Steve

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That looks nice, looking forward to seeing it come together.

Tony.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Steve

Just out of curiosity how did you manage to get your build in pole position on the home page? (or is this something to do with "the powers that be")

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Steve Just out of curiosity how did you manage to get your build in pole position on the home page? (or is this something to do with "the powers that be")
Absolutely no idea old bean! In fact I didn't even know it was there :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'd better post something to show I'm off and running.

The cockpit is rudimentary but done. The pilot, who will hide the sparse cockpit, is in a basic coat of what I guess the synthetic protective suit might have looked like. He will need a lot more work (obviously).

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got a first coat on the pilot. Remember I work with enamels so I won't be able to touch him up (ooooerrr) and wash and dry brush him until tomorrow.

He's recycled from somewhere but I reckon, once in place, with a harness, he'll do a reasonable impression of a rocket pilot with protective suit.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
One of my pet hates!

Sprue attachments that look like this one.

There are loads of them and they all have to be reduced to something like this without b*ggering up the joining surfaces.

And yes, there is quite a bit of flash on the parts. I guess it's an old mould that's seen better days!

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice progress Steve, your pilot is looking good.