1/32 Me 163 B "Komet" Hasegawa

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've already completed the major construction, though there is a little fettling to do. The kit goes together quite nicely.

What an amazing aeroplane it is.

I need to get the nose cone on and mask up the canopy after which I'll contemplate some painting.

A little history lesson, please fell free to skip this bit!

This incredible shape was designed by Alexander Lippisch one of Germany's most brilliant aerodynamicists. He cut his teeth testing his designs with sailplanes at the "Wasserkuppe" in the late twenties and early thirties. He had some very able assistants at his Ursinus House design office. To name a few, Hans Jacobs, Willy Hubert, Heinrich Voepel and test pilots Gunter Groenhoff and Peter Reidel, the latter a name well know even today in gliding circles. Also working on the delta wing was a certain Canadian called Beverly Shenstone who would later move to Vickers Supermarine where he designed the wing for the Spitfire.

Lippisch also invented a method for vertical take off and pioneered the canard or fore wing. His early ones, designed with Shenstone, were elliptical.

Lippisch moved to the USA after the war (Paperclip). Here he is, unfortunately there is a whiff of the mad scientist/ Dr Strangelove about him in this film. He and Shenstone, despite being on opposite sides during the war, remained lifelong friends.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Super work Steve, and the background information is very interesting, cheers. The Germans were certainly ahead in the field of swept wings and rockets. Boeing later used German swept wing technology in the development of their subsonic passenger jets from the 707 onward. The basic sweep angle has changed little particularly on the 737 series.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Built, primed, rubbed down.

I've just noticed I've pushed the flippin' side window in with the rough handling! Aren't photos great!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
More progress.

First gloss coat applied, though it doesn't look like it!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm calling this done.

We have an invasion of little people at the moment so I can't really take proper photos. Here's a couple of snapshots. I'll add some decent ones when I get a chance.

It might be old but it's a nice little kit and not too taxing.

All the paints are White Ensign Colourcoats and the final varnish is Vallejo, I get on well with both these. Colourcoats are, in my humble opinion, the best enamels out there for spraying and come in authentic WW2 colours. I've gone for an RLM 81/82 splinter over RLM 76 which is as likely as anything else. All sprayed free hand. This camouflage was applied at "Ekdo 16", not the point of production, and it doesn't look to have been masked at all, hence the soft demarcations.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Wow that was quick Steve I'm still working on the undercarriage wells so a long way to go yet. A great paint job and finish. The snapshots do it justice.

First Name
Dave
A super quick build Steve.Looks great.Excellent paint finish.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks chaps.

Here's a selection of eight photos to give a better idea of the kit. It's very simple but looks a lot like an Me 163 to me. I've resized the images so they shouldn't take too long to load on a decent connection.

Rear view, not difficult to see why it was nicknamed "Swallow"

The sharp end, not something you'd want to see if you were the rear gunner in a USAAF bomber.

And finally our brave or foolhardy (depending on your point of view) pilot.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
As I said before a great paint job and finish topped off with a nice set of photos.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Another Stona special! *****

Gern

PS I see from the intact propeller that you didn't copy Tony and fly it round your workshop making 'whooosh' noises!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful job steve , a nice quick one for you too. The pilot looks perfect as is the acrylic rod stand , 5 star job , cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

Steve another great looking build! Always a treat seeing you work your magic,very nicely done Sir!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks great Steve. I hope your builds survived the little people. I remember some problems from the past.................................