1/32 PCM Tempest V

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice build Steve. Scheme looks really crisp (as they tend to do at this stage) but I'm sure after a few restrained washes etc the effect will calm down and you'll have yet another stunner for us.

Cheers

P

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cheers chaps. It does look a bit too clean at this stage. I've sprayed the walkways this morning and will leave the model alone for a while before going on to decals and weathering.

They were sprayed with a dark grey rather than black. I don't want them to match the newly applied "invasion stripes".

Not much else to get on with on this one in the mean time, I may have to start something else :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Steve your motoring on this one! The Komet was 10 days, 11 for the FW190 and now your only up to 13 days on the Tempest(Roman watch out). A very clean build but I'm sure you will weather it down a bit. So whats the next project?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I fancy the PCM Fw 190 A. Problem is that I have a rear canopy but no windscreen in the spares and neither in the box! I may liberate a windscreen from a previously built Fw 190.

As it happens I have to visit the loft to fit a new upstairs landing light on SWMBO's orders which is a perfect excuse!

The Hobbyboss Spitfire is tempting too, though the prospect of a correction set at 40 something euros is making my eyes water a bit.

I won't be mucking up the Tempest too much. This is how it looked some time shortly after June 6th.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great progress Steve, nice to see someone else using enamels too.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Great progress Steve, nice to see someone else using enamels too.
Always Joe, until they ban them.

Each to their own, I'm not trying to suggest that I'm right and anybody else is wrong, but I find them easier and much more controllable and very much more sympathetic to approximate thinning which is all I do. I have tried acrylic paints of various types, I persisted for a couple of years, but finally gave up and reverted to what I know best.

I'm lucky to have an area to work in which doesn't cause anybody else problems and I have a very good spray booth/extractor.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
I use enamels and acrylics myself.Depends what I have to hand.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I can't believe how far you've got with this one. Great effort and great result so far.

I use acrylics now, but when I have to use enamels (as in it's the only suitable colour I've got to hand) something inside me is quite happy !

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
JN808 has now been given an identity with the application of the decals. They are very nice, by Cartograph, and went on trouble free.

I shall treat them overnight and then on to the home run!

Cheers

Steve

0ne48thtel

Excellent build Steve.

I used to use enamels then went to acrylics but am now thinking of reverting. I find the acrylics arn't as forgiving when handling painted parts. Maybe it's the way I use them.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cheers fellas.

Terry I think the durability of a paint finish depends on many factors but I too find enamels more forgiving generally. Plenty of others seem to get on with acrylics just fine so maybe it's something I'm doing too :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

Curious to know how you are going to weather it Steve. Watching that with interest.

Be grateful if you could describe what you are using when you go about it. Much easier to learn watching rather than reading about it.

Is it my imagination or is pre weathering dying a death ? Nothing against it other than I do not like it.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is looking very nice indeed Steve.

Laurie. I think you will not get to much weathering to watch on this one. It was pretty much fresh painted for the model Steve is building..

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Curious to know how you are going to weather it Steve. Watching that with interest.Be grateful if you could describe what you are using when you go about it. Much easier to learn watching rather than reading about it.

Is it my imagination or is pre weathering dying a death ? Nothing against it other than I do not like it.

Laurie
Laurie I've never been a fan of pre-shading. I find it is very hard to control and I definitely don't like the patchwork quilt look favoured by some modellers. I will try to replicate my subject as best I can and generally these aircraft were just not that mucky, nor were their panels a patchwork. They were high speed, high performance aircraft and their exterior appearance is what you'd expect for that type of aeroplane.

I have already done some basic post shading on the paintwork, which probably shows best on the underside. It has to be subtle, these aircraft were very well built and very well maintained.

I'll post a piccy or two of some real aircraft to show what I mean.

I'll still be doing a bit of general weathering, but as seen in the photo I posted, JN808 was in good nick, and had been in service for something like three months In June'44. It is in the middle of the first batch of 100 aircraft built by Hawker Aircraft Ltd at Langley in Buckinghamshire, comprising serials JN729-JN773, JN792-JN822, JN854-JN877. Deliveries to the RAF of this batch started in December 1943 and were completed in May 1944.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Its looking superb now steve . Looking forward to seeing the next phase , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
How to weather a model?

For me it is all part of the fun of research. Where was the subject based? How old was it? What sort of operations was it undertaking? A plethora of other factors can be taken into account but most important is a decent photo! I have one of my subject but had I not I would have looked at other aircraft, relatively new, carrying out pre-invasion or anti "Diver" operations from the UK.

This would have revealed an example of an underside like this.

Unlike some aircraft which seem to deposit the entire contents of their oil tank along the under surfaces (Spitfire) this Tempest is quite clean with little evidence of streaking and staining.

Here's mine, rather glossy still, and some washes and staining will be applied.

Here's some more taken before the invasion stripes were applied.

The markings on NS-A are not invasion stripes but earlier identification markings.

Now you can find a more mucky Tempest!

The clue is the drop tanks, introduced in October 1944. This aircraft would have been carrying out the hectic post invasion operations in Normandy, based on forward airfields on the continent and is not representative of my UK based subject.

This aircraft did not leave for the continent until September 1944. In the period leading up to this deployment it was involved in anti "Diver" (V-1) operations, missions on which every mile per hour was vital. It is no accident that the invasion stripes have been so carefully applied. It is a reflection of the care with which these aircraft of the Newchurch wing were maintained.

It is not for me to tell anyone how to build their model! I like to research my subject and attempt to come up with something that might be representative of the actual condition of my subject at the time I am modelling it.......but that's just me :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Steve it sounds like your on a bit of a mission with this one! I've had a look on the net and as your pictures depict there certainly are Tempests in different weathered conditions( see image Below which I think is based in the U.K and from the same squadron) but after all it's only a model. What I do find is that it's very difficult to make a model look very realistic when it's in a very clean/new condition for me a subtle amount of pre-shading of the panel lines does add to creating a realistic finish. Looking forward to your finished model.

View attachment 70300

Hawker Tempest.jpg