1/32 Trumpeter Messerschitt Me262 A-1a

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This is a good kit but it does have issues. There was a step at the front fuselage/wing join that needed to be corrected with layers of filler and lots of sanding. A little more filler was needed around the engines fit to wing. Most of all the Trumpeter decals were appalling and I really must remember whenever I do a Trumpy kit to throw away the decals immediatly and buy aftermarket, regardless of how much I may like the scheme provided. The actual markings are a mix of painting, kit decals (some stencils looking very weathered not necessarily deliberately) and spares box. The observant and knowedgable among you might spot two aircraft specific marking as missing....

AKI Air Series acrylics were used along with their washes and pigments. Some Vallejo paints also used.

Here are the pics. Sorry they look a bit 'washed out' for some reason. My photography never gets better....

View attachment 116823

View attachment 116824

View attachment 116825

View attachment 116826

View attachment 116827

View attachment 116828

View attachment 116829

View attachment 116830

View attachment 116831

9.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

D

dougie

Problems aside, this Is a lovely clean build. Great paint job and recovery on the decal situation. :cool:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks Dougie and Tommy. I will see if I can get some better pictures beause these must be the worse I have done. I cannot make out much detail at all of the weathering, all the colour modulation and wash effects have been bleached out in the photos.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Nice job Barry you'd never know you had problems:smiling3:

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
It's a beast of a jet at 1/32 Barry and I think you've done a cracking job despite the fit issues, believe me I know what it's like as am having the same trouble with dragons A1a/U4 version it's been a real pig.

Love the paint job, did you have an option to have the gun bay open or had you had enough at that point?

Cheers

Phil

First Name
Dave
Nice looking build Barry.So far I've only built two Trumpeter kits.Both sets of decals ended up in the bin.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
love it Barry,i think that is my favorite German plan, :D

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Lovely job Barry , great recovery with the decals and poor fit . Ive got a few trumpy kits in the stash , i must make a note to watch out for the decals! cheers tony

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
oh boy, thats spot on!

one of my fave aircraft designs

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
It's a beast of a jet at 1/32 Barry and I think you've done a cracking job despite the fit issues, believe me I know what it's like as am having the same trouble with dragons A1a/U4 version it's been a real pig.
Love the paint job, did you have an option to have the gun bay open or had you had enough at that point?

Cheers

Phil
This is a quite a versatile kit in terms of "open" stuff.

Trumpeter provides 2 highly detailed engines with clear cowlings, a radio bay and a gunbay. While the gunbay is not of the best detail, with advanced scratchbuilding, it can be built into something attractive

Last edited:
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Nice work Barry. That is an excellent build. To tell you the truth, I don't think it looks washed out at all- my photography is worse.

I have the same kit in the stash with a load of resin and aftermarket. Will have to look out for the issues you pointed out though. The wing fuselage step join which you mentioned was also present on the 1/48 Hobbyboss counterpart and the dragon one. Seems to be a bit of a problem for 262s! Also another thing, is that the aerial cable didn't run into the DF (direction finding) loop- that was a feature of Bf 109G-10s, Ks and G-14s. It ran straight into the rear canopy over the DF loop and hanged behind the pilot's head (a bit of an occupational hazard, but there you go!). Just a suggestion if you want to fine tune

I find it a little odd though, that Military illustrated amodeller ranked this kit as the No. 8 out of the top ten favourite kits voted by IPMS around the world.

Now I am searching Eaglecals for a suitable 1/32 262 sheet! :confused:

John

Last edited:
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
This is a good kit but it does have issues. There was a step at the front fuselage/wing join that needed to be corrected with layers of filler and lots of sanding. A little more filler was needed around the engines fit to wing. Most of all the Trumpeter decals were appalling and I really must remember whenever I do a Trumpy kit to throw away the decals immediatly and buy aftermarket, regardless of how much I may like the scheme provided. The actual markings are a mix of painting, kit decals (some stencils looking very weathered not necessarily deliberately) and spares box. The observant and knowedgable among you might spot two aircraft specific marking as missing....
AKI Air Series acrylics were used along with their washes and pigments. Some Vallejo paints also used.

Here are the pics. Sorry they look a bit 'washed out' for some reason. My photography never gets better....

View attachment 128178 View attachment 128179 View attachment 128180 View attachment 128181 View attachment 128182 View attachment 128183 View attachment 128184 View attachment 128185 View attachment 128186
Erm, forgive me for pointing out, but do you mean missing as the JG 7 Windhunds badge? Couldn't spot the other though :P

L

Laurie

Very nice Barry. Sad when you have to put so much precious time into filling and sanding.

About the pictures Barry. I use this picture editor. Cheap friendly and simple (sounds like me).

They also do a lot of add ons for other media. Not sure of the cost now but I got the lot for

about £35. That is for life including updates.

Laurie

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Good result Barry despite the decal issues. I too have questioned Trumpeter decals, more from an accuracy point of view rather than their application to the model but it's fair to say I was less than impressed.

I'm surprised to hear about the fit issues though as this kit is generally given a big thumbs up. I've yet to build mine but I already have the aftermarket parts (including decals).

Looking forward to the Swordfish too (another kit you and i have in common!)

Cheers

P

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent build Barry.

I know you've had a bit of a rough ride with the kit, but I really think you should consider altering the thread title! ;)

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
\ said:
Excellent build Barry.
I know you've had a bit of a rough ride with the kit, but I really think you should consider altering the thread title! ;)
LOL - I see what you mean........

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
\ said:
Good result Barry despite the decal issues. I too have questioned Trumpeter decals, more from an accuracy point of view rather than their application to the model but it's fair to say I was less than impressed.
I'm surprised to hear about the fit issues though as this kit is generally given a big thumbs up. I've yet to build mine but I already have the aftermarket parts (including decals).

Looking forward to the Swordfish too (another kit you and i have in common!)

Cheers

P
I dont want to play up the fit issues too much as I have seen a lot worse.

This big problem, the step, was a puzzle as I have not see it mentioned in reviews and there are bulkheads and 'formers' that set the different curves that created the step and the wing/fuse join was perfect on the other 3 sides.... The cure was not difficult though it did take me a few days gradually building up filler and sanding. I have a pic of the step...

View attachment 116850

Worth mentioning that I had some bad shrinkage on the wing slats that gave me more of a headache as well... But all in all it is a good kit and I enjoyed the build.

909090.jpg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
\ said:
Erm, forgive me for pointing out, but do you mean missing as the JG 7 Windhunds badge? Couldn't spot the other though :P
Yes indeed. The decal went on OK but when I looked an hour later it had curled. I tried decal solution (Gunze) but the decals were totally resistant to it. In the end the decal fractured asTrumpy ones tend to do.