1/48 Hasegawa Hs129 B-2

T

treyzx10r

Allyne thanks for the update ,really have enjoyed watching this thread !

B

Bunkerbarge

Another excellent example of just what can be achieved with German Aircraft. I remember doing the old Airfix kit of this many years ago and wondering how on earth the aircraft structure withstood the recoil of the huge gun! It must have been one oif the largest guns to have ever been fitted to an aircraft.

As always a lovely paint job Allyne, this is going to make a lovely piece when it's finished.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looking very nice Allyne

Richard the BK 7.5 was a huge gun.

Here's a cut away from the 53 page handbook that was issued with this installation. This is actually from the schusswaffenanlage for the HS129B-3.

The weapon,without ammunition,weighed just over 700Kg. Each round weighed 11.9 Kg of which 6.8 Kg was the weight of the projectile. Now that's going to play havoc with your centre of gravity!

The muzzle velocity was 790m/sec so that would be a massive recoil force.

Cheers

Steve

Edit I suspected, but wanted to check before posting, that they'd mounted an 8.8 cm gun on an aircraft,that's right an 88!

Well they did on a Ju88.

As far as I can tell this was never made operational.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Right i've repaired the paint that came up with the masking tape. Good old post-it notes helped with that. Also have painted the nose with RLM 04 to match the wing tips underneath and it's had one coat of klear to help seal it. Will give it another coat then start applying the decals. The yellow nose isn't totally yellow. Because i used humbrol enamel to paint the nose it took a few coats to get the correct coverage. But this in fact helped me weather it. I applied more paint in certain areas and less in others to give it a worn look. Which as a ground attack/close support aircraft it would certainly get very quickly.

View attachment 25048

View attachment 31341

130220112169.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Half way through adding the decals and i have to admit, i find this part of building the most mind numbing aspect of it. I really do not like adding them. So on that note i'm going to quit whilst i'm ahead as resume the decals in the morning. Also i have a nice Craggenmore waiting for me so i can't let it evaporate now can i? lol

View attachment 25339

View attachment 31541

190220112187.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
She's looking good.

I always allow a day for decalling,it's one of those things that always takes twice as long as you think it will! Not my favourite part of a build either,though they do transform a model.

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Ok so i have neglected this build as i did the GB Tank build (which i will post photos for when i get them off my other camera). Decided i can't put it off anymore and to be honest i really liked building this as you don't see many getting built. Added brake lines onto the u/c legs and although i think they are a little too thick i don't mind. Adds a little bit of detailing missing from the kit. so here are a few pics of my progress. Not decaled the underneath yet. Will be doing that next. And yes i know i have to finish painting the wheels ;)

View attachment 28227 View attachment 28225 View attachment 28224 View attachment 28226

View attachment 28223

View attachment 33870

View attachment 33871

View attachment 33872

View attachment 33873

View attachment 33874

040520112403.jpg

030520112396.jpg

030520112394.jpg

040520112401.jpg

030520112393.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice work Allyne,I wondered what had happened to this one.

Cheers

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

Coming along very nicely Allyne. This is a fascinating subject that is going to make into a very nice model and you are certainly doing a good job of getting some detail into it, certainly making the most of the scale.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi there you say that you are using klear. Is this the original Klear or the new version i.e Pledge multi surface wax?. what are the advantages of using Klear? I know people use it a pre decal coat but is that all it's used for? By the way a great build!

Vaughan

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Hiya Vaughan

Yes it's the original Klear i'm using. I use it to seal in the paint before i apply the decals and create a nice smooth surface for them to stick to. I then use it again to seal in the decals before i weather the aircraft. I will then apply a final coat of (Vallejo) matt acrylic varnish to seal in everything and matt down the finish.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
HI there Allyne

Have you used the new klear? as I don't want to try it and ruin my model. I've heard its ok but takes longer to dry over 24 hours.

Vaughan

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Not tried it sorry so i can't comment

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Is there any way of getting hold of the old klear as I gather it's like gold dust.

Vaughan

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
HI there Allyne Have you used the new klear? as I don't want to try it and ruin my model. I've heard its ok but takes longer to dry over 24 hours.

Vaughan
I have used the new stuff and it seams to work fine. I never got hold of the original one so I can offer no comparison though.

Canopies come out nice and the shine on painted bits is acceptable to me. Might be better with a couple of coats.

Ian M