1/48 Sea Gladiator

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Don't look too closely at the instruments Joe.Ive not tried to replicate the exact instruments. Just used any that were the correct size.
I've done that before, as long as it's black and white and fits in - that's where it's going.

Anyway, all looking very nice Dave.

First Name
Dave
Tonight I've filled and sanded the fuselage seems.Then I glued the outer wing struts on.Before they had completely set,I positioned the upper wing on them and waited for the glue to set before removing the wing.Then I managed to break two of the wing to fuselage struts whilst trying very carefully to clean them up.The plastic in this kit is quite brittle.But it does respond well to my usual Revell contacta glue.So I've glued them back together.Ive got some thin brass rod.So I may replace them with it.

View attachment 70683

View attachment 70684

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381179364.429423.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381179383.551101.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
A bit more done this evening .Windscreen and rear canopy masked and glued onto model.Also undercarriage legs attached.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Oh no, wing alignment - my thoughts are with you.

First Name
Dave
Tonight I've sprayed a coat of primer on the model.And I've attached the 18 tiny exhausts that go from the engine cylinder heads to the cowling.Not sure what colour they should be.The instructions say aluminium.But a build review of the kit has them painted bronze.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I do like a detailed engine. I would have thought the exhaust pipes would have been the same or a very similar colour as the collector ring.

First Name
Dave
I'm at the painting stage now.Got the Dark Slate Grey on and masked the model for the next colour Extra dark Sea Grey.

First Name
Dave
More masking.This time for spraying first coat if light grey on the fuselage and engine cowling.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good dave , those exhaust stubs look very fiddly , i bet they were a bugger to clean up! cheers tony

First Name
Dave
Thanks Trey and Tony.Exhausts were not too bad.i managed to clean them up without any pinging out of the tweezers across my shed as well!.Need to get some thick fishing line for the rigging now.Was going to use plastic strip.But I think any movement of the wing would pull the strip off.So I'm going to drill part way into the upper wing and attach fishing line with CA.Then I will drill all the way through the lower wing,pull the line through and secure with CA.To finish I will trim the line flush with the underside,fill and touch up the paint.Thats the plan anyway.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
There's always something nice about getting a bit of paint down. Looking good Dave.