1/48 Sea Gladiator

First Name
Dave
Tonight I've done some more masking and sprayed dark slate grey on the upper fuselage.Managed to break one of the wing struts off.So I've had to drill and pin it back together.Should have left them off until the end of painting.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Coming along nicely Dave.

the fishing line through the wing works well, just a bugger at times to 'touch up'---

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Dave, this is coming along very nicely and the paint work looks good.

First Name
Dave
Last night I did the upper fuselage camo.Just noticed Ive got the colours the wrong way round on the port tailplane so will have to do that again.I bought some 40lb fishing line on the way home from work.Hopefully it will look ok as rigging.Now I'm going to mask the model again and do the black areas on the underside

First Name
Dave
Just done the underside with Revell anthracite.Tried Vallejo black first but it was too black.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
nice detailing dave look forward to seeing more

First Name
Dave
Tonight I've attached the rigging to the top wing.Then I drilled holes through the fuselage and lower wing.Next I glued the top wing to the struts on the lower wing.Then I threaded some of the rigging wires through the holes in the lower wing.Going to leave it to set overnight before I attach the cabane struts.When they are in place I will tighten and secure the rigging wires.I m not sure if the wires are too thick.The Gladiator had raf wires which were an oval section and quite thick.Anyone think they are too thick?.

T

Last edited by a moderator:

0ne48thtel

Looks ok to me Dave but I have never done anything like that so am probably not best placed to say

C

CDW

Not sure of the technicalities but it looks OK to me ..... Albeit a little confusing with all the wires everywhere :smiling3:

I had a go at a 1/72 triplane and it drove me scatty ...... You must be on the serious happy pills with this one Dave.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Not sure of the technicalities but it looks OK to me ..... Albeit a little confusing with all the wires everywhere :smiling3: I had a go at a 1/72 triplane and it drove me scatty ...... You must be on the serious happy pills with this one Dave.
The rigging has been driving me mad this evening.Went through 3 different superglues before I found one that would actually stick the fishing line to the wings.Then two of the cabane struts broke when I tried to glue them in place.So I've put the model away now and will have another go tomorrow.

C

CDW

\ said:
.Went through 3 different superglues before I found one that would actually stick the fishing line to the wings.
Stick the end to be glued in you mouth just before you stick it to the wing Dave, the moisture will aid the reaction.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
The rigging might be driving you mad Dave but it is valuable to see it being done step by step.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
The rigging might be driving you mad Dave but it is valuable to see it being done step by step.
It would have been easier with thinner fishing line.But I'm trying to get an approximation to the real thing.

P

Polux

This wires looks very fine to me Dave...not thick!

Looking a very nice work so far.

Cheers

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Stick the end to be glued in you mouth just before you stick it to the wing Dave, the moisture will aid the reaction.
Just don't do it the other way around.............................try explainging that to the A & E nurse...........................

First Name
Dave
Tonight I used some brass rod to replace the broken cabane struts.I then carried on with the rigging. Tried tensioning the slack wires with a lit cocktail stick.This worked quite well and for once I didn't mess it up.However,It wouldn't be me if I didn't make at least one cock up.Just noticed a hard lump of dried super glue on the top surface of the lower wing.Going to take some careful and patient sanding to get rid of it.

M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That is coming along nicely Dave. Hop eyou can recover that super glue incident up without too much damage to the paint work.

First Name
Dave
I've almost finished the rigging now.Just need to add the tail plane wires.Should be easy after the trouble Ive had doing the wings.Ive also added the rudder control wires from some thin steel wire.