1/7 scale P40-E Warhawk Top Flite Gold edition

T

treyzx10r

Started on this lumber yard this weekend. The wing span is 64 inches and Its going to be powered by a 20cc gas engine and have working flaps and retracs. Still deciding on a scheme ,leaning towards the AVG one as pictured but if I go that route I'll have to come up with something better than the kit supplied markings. May just use them as a stencil/guide and paint the markings on. Thats a long way off so I've got plenty of time to think it over. The kit has some good hardware and some not so good, I'll get into that as it comes into play later in the build. Heres the basics

The cowls and complex curved parts are abs plastic and very thin,they will be needing some beefing up to hold up to the vibrations of the gas engine

The plans are full size and printed on 2 sheets,very nice!

Sorted thru all the parts and missing some balsa bits,quick trip the the local hobby store sorted that.

Unlike the plastic kits that usually start in the office this has you building the tail feathers first.

Pretty simple so far and the ribs have tabs on them that keep it warp free,these will be sanded off before sheeting of course. Top sheeting in place,next the bottom side and then on to the Rudder.

J

John Huggins

Nice one Trey, built one ore two R/C plains myself, including a mozzy &| spit..

Nice start.

John

T

treyzx10r

Steve ,Polux and John thanks ! John what size Mossie was it, never done a twin before I hear they can be a handful?

Well into the stab trailing edge went some balsa blocks,these will serve as mounting points for the hinges

then the sheeting

Stab tips were added and sanded to shape,just needs a final going over now . The fin parts are ready for assembly next

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Polux appreciate that!

The Fin went pretty smooth,basic structure similar to the stab. Ribs layed out

Leading & trailing edge

hinge blocks

Sheeting

Fully sheeted and sanded to shape

The tail feathers are pretty easy and build quick,they just need shaping now

Fuse and wings next !

D

Deleted member 3568

Looking good will be watching this build. Often thought of building an rc plane but thought it too difficult.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very,very nice project Trey - proper man-cave stuff, I love it!

This kind of project deserves some time and love and I'm not expecting a quick build but a really interesting one.

Keep up the great work this will be epic.

Cheers

Paul

S

Sky Raider

Hey Trey,

Welcome to my world of scale, lol. Brings back memories of my first build the P47 Thunderbolt.

Ill watch this one and reminisce.

Andy

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Oh no, a model plane that fly's - this could lead me into an expensive off shoot of modelling....................and it will be all your fault Trey.

T

treyzx10r

Polux thanks. KPnuts thanks, actually they are'nt really that difficult to build,the hard part is keeping things straight and light so they fly well. Joe,Patrick thank you. Paul appreciate the kind words,yes its going to be a rather long build,mainly because I have to space the purchase of the expensive bits along the way. The retracting gear is close to $400.00 alone then $385.00 for the engine,reciever $120.00 ,servos are about 45.00-60.00 a whack so it adds up quick. GrahamD, Ian,IanM,Steve thanks. Andy thanks ,did you get to fly the Jug? Sorry Colin but you'll have to jump in just like I did,just be sure and bring a Banker along;)

The fuse builds up nice and with interlocking bulk heads its really not too daunting,still have to square things up a bit and keep the parts weighted until the glue fully sets.

clamps and squares are a must for this task.

after the inner bulkheads comes the top stringers,again the parts are pre-notched so it goes quick

Then the sheeting begins,squaring up the parts and double checking the fit will save a lot of aggravation later and make the final shaping easier. Still it looks a lot worse than it is,what appears as gaps are just the difference in thickness of the top and bottom sheeting. It will blend nicely with a 80grit sand session

the aft deck sheeting and abs window treatments in place and its finally starting to resemble a P-40!

I'll have to wait for the tail retract to arrive before I can sheet the bottom,so the fuse is not going much further at this point. The wings will get built up next,and will need a lot of upgrading . I'm deviating from the single servo & bellcrank set up for a servo in each wing for a more solid control. This will also allow me to set up differential in the throws to help the roll rate. The flaps will get the same mod. Cheers Trey