1/72 Dogfight Double

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I just got this as a 'thank you' for looking after a couple of dogs (and a couple of kids) recently. The dogs were very well behaved.

I've had a quick peek and it looks pretty good, both kits. I've just started another larger project and will finish stage one of that ( the engine) before putting it aside for these two little kits.

I plan to use the stand (included in the box) and pose the two aircraft in flight, just like the box but without the flames :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Edit. If anyone wants some little pots of Humbrol acrylic paint let me know. I won't be using them.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Nice reward :smiling3:

I've been looking at these but wondered if they were old kits in a new box as a way of clearing old stock

What do you reckon Steve ?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I don't know the history of the kits as this really isn't my scale but these don't look like old kits to me. They both look nicely molded with engraved detail. The detail is a little heavy to my eye but then I'm used to much larger scales. If they fit as good as they look this should be a fun build :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers Steve it does sound like new tool the old spit was prity shallow on the detail so I'll think I might have ago at one them

Thanks for the info :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
ref to the Airfix catalogue tells me that these are not new toolings hope this is helpful cheers John .two interesting planes Steve look forward to your display
I don't doubt the catalogue Alan, but I've had a good look at the Spitfire and it definitely isn't the same tooling as what I think of as the old (1960s?) kit. Even the cockpit has a bit more going for it. The pilot figure is the same though, you know, the one that looks like a cricketer whose been hit on the "upper thigh" :smiling3: I'm not sure how new is new though, if you know what I mean.

The Bf 110 looks nice too but I don't recall ever making one before, even as a kid, so I really have nothing to compare it too.

Cheers

Steve

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
It looks like new tooling to me from the pics 2014 catalogue must be out of date already lol on this evidence I will be buying one of these new tooled kits myself be a nice change from blobs of plastic from Airfix that we have all fought with in the past . Nicely detailed kits Steve and with your skills coupled together this will make a great display look forward to more cheers John :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That's new tool Steve me and my youngest are building one and it's the same , my eldest son built the old tool about five years ago and it was nothing like this one so happy days

Thanks guys I might swap out the spit though and put a new tool hurricane in :smiling3:

L

Laurie

That does look like new tooling. you can soon check as they have a marker on their on line catalogue if it is a new tooling.

Some nice definite panel lines on the 110. Poor old 110 no match for the RAF fighters.

Laurie

D

dubster72

This will be interesting, seeing you apply your skills to 1/72 stuff Steve

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
like the look off this Steve, cannot to see how you do these 2, and a nice start on the cockpit, :rolleyes:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
The Spitfire at least looks to be the 'new tool' Mk1a released as A01071. It probably appears as not being a 'new tool' in the 2014 catalogue as the markings and some parts were changed in A02010, which offers both the two-bladed prop and flat canopy of the early Mark I, and a Mark IIa version. The Bf110C is from A3080, which was also a 'new tool' kit.

First Name
Dave
I remember the old dogfight doubles kit from when I was a kid.It had the old Airfix mk9 spitfire and ME110 with raised detail in it.These are Definately newer moulds.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Right then, it seems I've got two 'newish' kits to ruin then :smiling3:

Thanks for the input, we'll see how they go together soon!

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Mike
Great move by Airfix to update the 'Dogfight Doubles' with new-roil kits, I always loved those boxings as a kid.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Great move by Airfix to update the 'Dogfight Doubles' with new-roil kits, I always loved those boxings as a kid.
I do remember them but not the Bf 110. Maybe my brother got that :smiling3: I think we had to split them and build one each! We certainly had a good selection of badly made and inappropriately painted WW2 aircraft hanging from our bedroom ceiling. Most of them eventually got shot to bits with an air rifle, along with a rather improbable fleet comprising Bismarck and HMS Nelson and Victory.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The little kits are coming along nicely. I'm building both together as they are not exactly complicated.

The relative newness of the kits is revealed in the fit. The Spitfire in particular would probably 'click' together without glue!

The only adjustment I've had to make was to shave a bit of the instrument panels to get the noses to close up and consequently the wings to fit properly. Strangely this applied to both kits.

Cheers

Steve