First Name
monica
both are looking good ,Steve, nice paint work, on the figures as well,

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great starts Steve. Putting me to shame building two at once to such a great standard. It takes me weeks to cobble one together.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Great starts Steve. Putting me to shame building two at once to such a great standard. It takes me weeks to cobble one together.
The thing is Joe that the entire Spitfire has less parts (by a long chalk) than the engine of the large scale project I've put on hold :smiling3:

I've even dug out an old Iwata airbrush with a much smaller paint cup to do the painting without wasting too much paint!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have discovered a new definition for the word FUN :smiling3:

Looking on the bright side, I now have these two tiddlers just about ready to prime.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've sprayed the underside colours. Sky and RLM 65, talk about two different solutions to the same problem.

The Luftwaffe colour is more similar to Azure or Mediterranean Blue as used by the RAF in tropical climes. Maybe the Sky colour is a reflection of the less than bright blue skies we enjoy for 48 weeks of the year here in the UK :smiling3:

Sky was the result of much research by Cotton and his mob and is the same colour as the 'Camotint' he developed. I'm sure the German colour is also the result of arduous research, just under clearer skies!

Cheers

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

Although these are not classed as new tooling in the new catalogue they are most definately a world apart from the original 70's offerring of the same pair. These are actually quite nicely done kits and I'm sure Stona will make a cracking pair out of them. They are looking really good so far.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Richard they are definitely much better kits, at least the Spitfire. I well remember the original Airfix offering and the plastic bag it came in! I never made the old Bf 110 as far as I can remember, but this version is really well engineered and is consequently easy to put together.

I was going to do these strictly as per instructions and OOB but the splinter scheme for the Bf 110 in the instructions is, well, just wrong I'm afraid. This I will alter to a more realistic scheme.

Luftwaffe colour expert Michael Ullmann and Bf 110 guru John Vasco both pretty much agree on what the splinter pattern should be and that's what I'll go for.

Cheers

Steve

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good there Steve, real like how you do see so much off the panel lines,:rolleyes:

S

spongtastic

I built all the original Airfix 110 many years ago and the fit was bad, rivets like a porcupine and the canopy was thicker than milk bottles! Can't believe I missed the new tool release, could have bought this set for £10!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got what you might call the basic camouflage on both models.

I've lightened all the colours for the small scale and increased the contrast between the RLM 70 and 71 on the Bf 110, though it is still a low contrast scheme.

If you look at B+W photos of this scheme it is difficult to tell that there are two colours but I feel they need to be slightly more differentiated on a model. It's one of those artistic decisions :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Ripping right along Steve, nice job masking those tiny panes(pains). The finish on both is looking great!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking real good Steve, i real do like them and the camo is great and i do like how the panel lines show through, well done :D

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Steve, great twin build right there, could never do that myself, I would cross mix all the parts up from both kits lol. The paint job is superb, can't wait till I see the finish product on the stand.

John

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I would cross mix all the parts up from both kits lol. John
The Germans famously fitted a Daimler Benz engine to one of the Spitfires they had captured. They used the firewall, DB 601 and engine cowlings from a Bf 110 to do this. For one mad moment, when I opened the box, I was tempted. It was only the amount of wasted parts that stopped me :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I'm not sure what it is about German markings but even the Spitfire looks sinister wearing that scheme

D

dubster72

\ said:
I'm not sure what it is about German markings but even the Spitfire looks sinister wearing that scheme
I'm with you Joe - it's like what might have happened had thing's gone just a little differently.