1/72 Hasegawa Pz. Kpfw VI Tiger I ausf.E

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Aaron's awesome Tiger build recently motivated me to give this armour lark a go. I bought this kit it on a whim ages ago. I have no particular interest in tanks or armour, this will be my first tank, and apart from a Bedford fuel truck last year, my second model of a subject that doesn't fly. So here we go, the only way to learn to swim is to jump in.

The kit box. It's a very old mould old I found out later, but I like the look of it. Tracks are going to be interesting. They appear to be made from a rubbery compound which requires melting of the ends to connect them up.

View attachment 100554

Contents:

View attachment 100555

View attachment 100556

IMG_2892.JPG

IMG_2897.JPG

IMG_2898.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Straight in, if I wait I'll lose motivation. So off with the gun. It required filling, cleaning up and drilling. The muzzle (flash suppressors?) on either side was asymmetric, so corrected that (at least I hope it was supposed to be corrected).

View attachment 100557

The main turret went together in minutes, no hassles here. It will require just a little bit of tidying up around the edges.

View attachment 100558

Same with the main hull:

View attachment 100559

Couldn't resist a look with the turret on:

View attachment 100560

IMG_2899.JPG

IMG_2900.JPG

IMG_2902.JPG

IMG_2905.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
This is all so refreshing from aeroplanes. Turret tidied up around the edges and hatches fitted. The crew that came with the kit were naff and I really can't be bothered painting them for this one. I also can't be arsed with the authenticity of internal colours for the hatches. Seems there is as much debate about that as there is for German aircraft. They can be turned into a crew for something else later:

View attachment 100561

Accessories fitted to the hull:

View attachment 100562

View attachment 100563

The machine gun was a solid rod sticking out so I drilled it out:

View attachment 100564

Everything is primed:

View attachment 100565

I'm enjoying this so much I can't stop! My only concern is those tracks though.

IMG_2910.JPG

IMG_2912.JPG

IMG_2913.JPG

IMG_2915.JPG

IMG_2921.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Tracks primed:

View attachment 100566

Tracks painted gun metal:

View attachment 100567

Once dry I'll apply a rust wash,dirty them up and then dry brush with some gun metal over the tops of the tracks.

I applied a dark grey to the tops and a very dark grey to the undersides and under the side skirts. I'm hoping this will change the tone of the main colour to represent some shadowing, but not holding my breath on that as I haven't had a lot of success with aeroplanes and preshading:

View attachment 100568

I found out the wheels are a slightly different colour. I'm using this as my guide for a scheme as the kit ones are either too plain or too complicated for my first tank:

View attachment 100569

You can see in that picture that the wheels are lighter shade than the Panzer Yellow base colour. I tried Humbrol 84 (Ochre) but this was too green-looking. And it looks like baby puke. So I played with mixes and cam up with 2 parts Humbrol 84 (Ochre) and 1 part Sand Yellow (Humbrol 93). Close enough for this guy.

View attachment 100570

View attachment 100571

I'm enjoying this a lot. Any advice/comments are welcome.

IMG_2920.JPG

IMG_2954.JPG

IMG_2955.JPG

50543.jpg

IMG_2960.JPG

IMG_2962.JPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
a wee one Joe,very nice start,will look forward to seeing what you do, ;)

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice progress, :D

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thank Monica. Don;t expect miracles but I am enjoying it and that's what is most important to me. Felt I was going a bit stale with the usual victims.

First Name
Aaron
Fricken awesome mate, looks like things are ticking away nicely. How many decal options are there?

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
that wheel color is a good match, ;)

me being lazy and would of used sand and added dust to get away with it,lol,:rolleyes:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Cheers mate. I didn't take a photo of the decals but here is a link to the schemes. No info given on units etc, http://www.model-making.eu/products/Tiger-I-172697.html

The decals are okay, crosses are slightly out of register so will have to do something about that. The sheet has a row of numbers so I can make up whatever I like. The yellow and brown scheme looks cool.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks Monica. The colour looks more yellow/brown in the picture than it is in real life. It will definitely look different to the sand yellow colour I'll use as a base.

J

John Huggins

Looking good Joe, out the starting blocks & off you go, coming along nicely.

John

First Name
Aaron
Sweet, I agree the dark yellow and brown scheme will look good. Your pics reminded me that I own Humbol paints lol.

D

dubster72

Looking good there Joe! For an old kit, the hasegawa builds up well.

As for the tracks, don't go mad with therusty look - German track had a black anti-rust coating.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
As for the tracks, don't go mad with therusty look - German track had a black anti-rust coating.
Patrick or Aaron, do you think a dark grey or light black wash with a light rust wash over the top do the trick? I'm about to paint the tank and will do some more on the tracks while it dries. Or is it advisable to apply the wash after they are fitted. There is going to be some touch ups required afterwards because of the heat method of linking the track ends but I can probably hide that on the bottom.

D

dougie

Will subscribe to this as I had no interest in history or the old war machines but since getting into models again I find myself looking less at the jets I loved and more at the ww2 tanks and a few of the neones Armour units.

Your experience here will maybe help me later o_O

Good luck mate