1/72 Hasegawa Pz. Kpfw VI Tiger I ausf.E

D

dubster72

Joe, for the tank itself I'd use a dark brown wash as I think it complements the yellow basecoat. Burnt Umber is my weapon of choice.

For the tracks, I'd do them off the vehicle to prevent the wash running over the wheels.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Armour Joe from now on

Nice to see you doing something different great work so far on such a tiny kit I'm watching all the way now Joe

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Joe, for the tank itself I'd use a dark brown wash as I think it complements the yellow basecoat. Burnt Umber is my weapon of choice.
For the tracks, I'd do them off the vehicle to prevent the wash running over the wheels.
Thanks Patrick. Given your information previously regarding the tracks having had an anti-rust treatment of a black colour, I think I'll go with a very dark wash on them and a light rust wash afterwards. Noted the main wash colour with the yellows.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Will subscribe to this as I had no interest in history or the old war machines but since getting into models again I find myself looking less at the jets I loved and more at the ww2 tanks and a few of the neones Armour units.
Your experience here will maybe help me later o_O

Good luck mate
Thanks Dougie. I recommend it, these armour things are fun to build.

First Name
Aaron
Sorry mate, I've never done black tracks I like to base my tracks in browns strictly because I like the way it looks. For my panzer 1 however I may try a base of really dark brown black mottled with dark steel and a lot of dusty pigments.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Sounds good Aaron, cheers. I quite like the gun metal look, might just darken them and dirty them up a bit.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I suppose the scene that your tank is to be set in will influence how you weather the tracks and of course the rest of the tank. I've done three tracked armour vehicles in this scale and used Humbrol Metalcote gun metal each time. When it's dry I rub lightly with a finger which can give a slightly burnished look. Add your weathering pigments of choice and I find the finish on the tank tracks quite pleasing.

D

David 317

Gone over to the dark side! LOL!

I love the german armour! I've various tanks to do in the loft.

The nice thing, about an early Tiger I, is not having to worry about Zimmerit.

Any road up! This is turning into a nice build.

Enjoy!

D.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Think I had some success with pre-shading for once. It's all falling into place nicely. Touch wood.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Another one I missed, sorry Joe.

A nice Tiger mate, looks very nice, great paintjob so far.

Si:smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Base coat final:

View attachment 101647

Red brown camouflage airbrushed on. I mucked it up a bit and had to repeat the sand yellow to blend it in:

View attachment 101648

View attachment 101649

Turret and gun:

View attachment 101650

View attachment 101651

Now on to painting the tools and other bits, add some chipping and scratches. Then I'll give it a gloss and wash with a rust/oil effect and see how I get on. This is all experimental but still having a lot of fun with it. Bit lethargic about painting the road wheels but once my other projects are cleared I'll get into it.

IMG_2982.JPG

IMG_2997.JPG

IMG_3035.JPG

IMG_3036.JPG

IMG_3040.JPG

First Name
Aaron
Good job with the camo Joe, I never get a paint job done the first time lol.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good ,Joe do like the camo you have picked,and im with Aaron,never get it right in my eyes first off

nice will look forward to seeing whats next update, ;)