A-10A Thunderbolt II, Op. Allied Force 1999

C

CDW

It looks really good Seb,

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I'm not knowledgeable on "flying things"...... why the different colour engine and front bit on the wing?

I've looked at a10's on the net and there wasn't one like this, is it a special version or something?

A

AlasdairGF

So glad someone asked... thought I was missing something!!!

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like her.

I've mentioned in the previous posts but in case if you've missed it - Model represents A-10A used by 74th FS during Operation Allied Force. This jet was hit in the right engine by a shoulder launched missile over Kosovo but managed to make a safe emergency landing at an airport near Skopje, Macedonia. The stricken bird was then repaired there and my best bet is the engine came from Davis-Monthan AFB, taken from one of the out of service A-10s, that was still painted in Euro-1 camouflage scheme. Smaller shrapnel damage was temporarily fixed on site and oversprayed with dark Grey colour. I am not sure about the right wing airbrake though - wether it was replaced due to battle damage or was it replaced before this incident - one reference photo of this part of the wing, shows it darker colour then the wing.

Building this A-10 as such will add additional interest to the model. I think, at least that is my plan. Thank you for your interest. I will post the few photos of the real bird when I finish building the model.