A British Tank with some Troops..

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Bit late to the party but I heard there was a Cromwell under way, I had 11 of them painted for a flames of War army a while ago and they're still one of my favoured tanks.
I hope you're going to go all out with the hessian and stowage........

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Bit late to the party but I heard there was a Cromwell under way, I had 11 of them painted for a flames of War army a while ago and they're still one of my favoured tanks.
I hope you're going to go all out with the hessian and stowage........
I might just do that Karl.... i`ve found some great Photos from `44/45,also,most of them show the front Track Guards have been removed/ripped off,so that`s something i`m aiming to replicate too:thumb2:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
So then,a bit of an update......
I`ve had a couple of British dios planned for a while now,and to that end,bought these......
IMG20221112173002.jpg
made a tentative start on the boys......
IMG20221113192746.jpg
just bloccking in really,but it`s a start!! Next i built up and primered the Turret.......
IMG20221114154354.jpg
.... I do likie the detail on this kit:nerd:!! Now it feels weird putting Decals on a kit this early into a build,however,i felt it would be easier to do it now,rather than leave it until the upper hull was on,so here it is.......
IMG20221114183917.jpg
IMG20221114183937.jpg
.... and so to that Turret,now in "Purest Green",varnished and Decaled,(Well,ALMOST :tears-of-joy:)........
IMG20221114183802.jpg
Now then,how the hell am i supposed to get the Star to lay conformed to the surface in that white circle????:flushed:.... other than using about a Gallon of Micro Sol?!!:dizzy:
Anyway,that`s it for now,lots of bits are now OD`d and waiting to go on,then it`ll be time to work out the best way to go about the front Track Guards:thumb2:,
As always,thanks for looking in and all thoughts,comments,or plain old abuse,most welcomed:hugging-face: !
Cheers for now,
Andy

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I probably would of put the allied star towards the turret rear where it's nice and flat. Unless you've got a photo showing it there who's to say it would of been wrong.
C Squadron 5th RTR?

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I probably would of put the allied star towards the turret rear where it's nice and flat. Unless you've got a photo showing it there who's to say it would of been wrong.
C Squadron 5th RTR?
Yeah, good shout Karl....
Probably should have done exactly that,I went with the instruction sheet... Big mistake it would seem :sad:
.... HOWEVER it's done now,so I'll see if I can get a half decent result,even if it ends up with me trying to hand paint it! ;)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Great progress Andy. Those figures look good. Replacing the heads is always worth doing. Well done with the rubber band tracks - you're right they do look the part. I think getting the decals on as early as possible helps to blend them in with the later weathering. Looking very good.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking very good!!

And agree about the star. ... Causes me no end of problems on my 1/72 kits!

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Great progress Andy. Those figures look good. Replacing the heads is always worth doing. Well done with the rubber band tracks - you're right they do look the part. I think getting the decals on as early as possible helps to blend them in with the later weathering. Looking very good.
Evenin` Jim..... Thank you Sir:hugging-face:...... I don`t mind rubber tracks at all... I admit that they DO take a bit of time and effort,but it can be done:thumb2:.
Coming on nicely mate, I wish you the best of British with that star.
Cheers "Dawg",.... we`ll see what happens eh mate?!!:flushed:
Looking very good!!

And agree about the star. ... Causes me no end of problems on my 1/72 kits!
Thanks Andrew!..... That Star is something i think now i should`ve left alone..... but hey Ho!!:tears-of-joy:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Very nice so far Andy,
maybe if the 'Star' doesn't turn out as you wish you could always 'lob a tarp' over it and call it done..
Cheers Chris...
You`re correct there mate,although watch on ..... ;)

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Good progress Andy, figures are looking good, that star is a bit of a problem if you follow the instructions.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Here`s where i`m at currently....
.... Top fitted to bottom,with many extras fitted.....
IMG20221115181411.jpg

IMG20221115181433.jpg

IMG20221115181523.jpg
... and there`s a poor looking star.......SO FAR !!.....
....not promising anything,but that`s a start:flushed:... it may go horribly wrong,probably... but who knows?!!.......

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
maybe if the 'Star' doesn't turn out as you wish you could always 'lob a tarp' over it and call it done..

Or maybe he could 'lob a grenade' at it Chris. Prob solved...

I wonder how they did it back then Mr. Smiff??? I don't think there is a way to get a decal to cover it without a lot of slicing and dicing Andy. And if you did, you would probably have to touch it up with some paint...Devo is looking good too!!!

Prost
Allen

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Those tracks came out great. They look so good no one will notice the star after weathering.

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hope the star comes out okay mate. Lovely work all round

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
C Squadron 5th RTR?

That depends on his timeline! Up to the end of July '44 it's C Sqn 5 RTR, then from Aug '44 onwards it's C Sqn 1 RTR.

4 CLY had taken such heavy casualties at Villers Bocage and the subsequent fighting around Caen that they were withdrawn and 5th Skins came over from the UK to replace them. But because the Skins were cavalry they were automatically superior to the oiks in the RTR and took over as the senior regiment in 22nd Armd Bde. As a result 1 and 5 RTR were bumped down a notch (much to their disgust) and everyone had to repaint their tanks. Which eighty years later causes huge headaches for hapless modellers the world over! :tongue-out3: