A Head Banging Diversion!!! Weathered and finished

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Just for a bit of a change I bought this on eebeegeebee bay for a couple of quid...

It's an OO scale, near enough to 1/72, Dapol JCB 3. Quite a challenge as it runs along, swivels, goes up and down, in and out, tilts and the whole back thingy slides from side to side!

So the arms, all in 2 halves, had to be stuck together in one go, and at the same time clipped into their respective locating holes. 5 moveable joints in the rear arm alone, all to be kept clear of glue.

Sounds easy eh? You try it when you can hardly see the so 'n so thing in the first place!!

Next, painted in the luvverly JCB yellow and weathered.

Here's a few pickies of it painted in grey primer. I will post some more of the 'thing' when it's finished.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 26513

View attachment 26514

View attachment 26515

View attachment 26516

JCB 003.jpg

JCB 002.jpg

JCB.jpg

JCB 001.jpg

B

backonthecase

Blimey, that thing's like an insect, I swear I'd be seeing dots after gluing that thing up! On the plus side, it looks like you've done a great job on it. It'd look good on some sorta training or barracks diorama..

Stuart

F

Fenlander

That is a really nice looking Scorpion you have there Ron... Oh, peering closer it appears to be a JCB. Before you paint it yellow (unless you want it that way) do they make them for the military?

B

backonthecase

That's a point Graham - I'm sure the engineer detachment at RAF Leuchars used to have a couple of those and excavators/dozers etc...

F

Fenlander

Would look nice with a couple of Scimitars having their firing stations being dug out.

M

msm2

Home of the JCB is just down the road from me at Rocester. Not seen a model kit tho from them. Looks great Ron.

Tony..

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's really very nice Ron. Plenty of good features despite it being so tiny. It'd be nice to be able to tackle summat like that in 1/35 or even 1/24.

I've always wondered why there aren't a LOT more kits of construction vehicles. Any ideas anyone? After all, they have plenty of features in common with armour stuff - big, chunky shapes, tracks, big engines, plenty of scope for working features, any number of colour schemes and weathering options etc. etc. I have seen a few but they're either just glorified toys for kids or hideously expensive.

P'raps if enough of us said we'd like some to match up with our military stuff ('cos the forces certainly use 'em!) maybe some manufacturer would listen. I think it was Graham suggested a dio showing one digging out an aircraft shelter. That'd be cool. Maybe Revell would even re-release their Schaufelradbagger! lol

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ok folks, here is the 1/72 JCB 3 just rolled out of the factory. I will weather it shortly and post a few pictures of the finished 'Insect' soon!

I had considered painting it in drab military colours but decided to do it in the JCB colours first. I will repaint it later as I have an idea for a dio. involving this machine and summat to do with the Armed Forces.

Tony. Me and the present Mrs. Ron quite often drive past the beautifully landscaped JCB factory in Staffordshire on our way for our 'Adrenalin fix' at Alten Towers. ('cos we get in for half price being over a certain age!)

Dave, I've been rooting around for months for a large scale earth moving machine, no luck yet mate. As you point out, the ones I have seen are going for crazy money...

I hope you like the little monster. I would sooner sack my bouncy nurse than build another!!

**+* Forgot to 'silver' the hydrolic rams!!!!!! I'll do them when I do the weathering.

Thanks for looking anyway,

Ron

View attachment 26641

View attachment 26642

View attachment 26643

JCB 013.jpg

JCB 011.jpg

JCB 012.jpg

M

msm2

Cracking JCB Ron,wish there were more like it about for building. Landscaping at JCB is wonderful,considering what was there before.

Tony..

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Tony, glad you like it and yes it would be nice to do one in a bigger scale.

There you go, hydrolics done. I can have my afternoon's kip later without worrying about it! lol

Ron

View attachment 26645

JCB 014.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You've done a smashing job of that little kit Ron!

How about having a go at this one - it looks like a good one and it's on my 'to buy' list.

Komatsu G40 Bulldozer by Brett Green (Tamiya 1/48)

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
You've done a smashing job of that little kit Ron!How about having a go at this one - it looks like a good one and it's on my 'to buy' list.

Komatsu G40 Bulldozer by Brett Green (Tamiya 1/48)

Gern
Cheers for that Dave, I have my eye on this kit, but I need to let my peepers get back to some sense of normality before I try anything this fiddly again!!

I am hoping to find something bigger than 1/48, say 1/35, but it's near impossible to source anything sensibly priced.

Take care,

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Eyup ron mate, what a little corker! Great to see something unusual and in the smaller scales, youll be doing 1/72 armour and 1/144 fighters soon!!!! cheers mate tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Tony, good to see you getting back into things a bit more.

O.k., folks here is the finished model.

Just to recap it's a 1/72, 3" long (with the back arm tucked in) Dapol JCB 3c, which is one of the early versions of this famous machine. It cost £3 inc. p/p from ebay.

The kit was not too clever, needing lots of cleaning up and some of the parts were broken in the bag. You may recall my train wreck dio, all the rolling stock were Dapol and I had the same problem with them, so beware!

The model is brush painted and weathered using only Humbrol Enamels and dust from the sweepings of my garage floor.

I hope you like this slight diversion from the norm.

Any comments or suggestions are more than welcome.

Thank you for reading through the build.

Ron

View attachment 26678

View attachment 26679

View attachment 26680

View attachment 26681

View attachment 26682

View attachment 26683

View attachment 26684

View attachment 26685

View attachment 26686

View attachment 26687

View attachment 26688

JCB 023.jpg

JCB 031.jpg

JCB 015.jpg

JCB 016.jpg

JCB 017.jpg

JCB 030.jpg

JCB 029.jpg

JCB 028.jpg

JCB 019.jpg

JCB 020.jpg

JCB 018.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
So all you need now is a trench, a couple of guys leaning on shovels and a 'suit' watching them and you've got a perfect dio!

That would make a smashing little focus point on a model railway layout wouldn't it? Pity there is such a shortage of this sort of kit.

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good idea Dave, and I can just see the present Mrs. Ron's face when I try to explain that now I have a OO JCB I will need a model railway to show it off...Fat chance!

It would be nice to even find a 1/35 digger of any description, let alone at a reasonable price!

Thanks for following the build.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've missed so much on here due to "Circumstances beyond my control" (Being stranded in France thanks to industrial action on the day of my return, resulting in cancelled flights back to the U.K.) that I am only just starting to catch up, so if I miss anyone's thread please accept my appologies.

I have just got to share the following with you, not out of any sort of vanity, it's just that I have never heard of it happening before!....

As you can see above I finished and weathered my diddy model of the JCB and not having any real use for it, I have out of curiosity and for a bit of fun, put it on ebay.

Today I received the following in "My Messages" :-

"I want to ask is everything working, what is the mileage, and what is the condition of this vehicle?"

I have replied stating as kindly as I could, it is a 3" model. I had considered posting his question on ebay, but that would not be fair!!...or would it!?

The point of all this? Could there be higher praise to us modellers than someone thinking it is the real thing? Inwardly, I'm well chuffed! There again I could be the victim of a huge wind up!!!!!

Has such a quirky thing ever happened to anyone else on Scale Models? I would love to know....

Thanks,

Ron

B

Bunkerbarge

What I really like about this is how it provides inspiration to modellers who are a bit newer to the hobby who can see just what can be achieved with a small budget and a bit of imagination. You even generate fantastic weathering finishes without an airbrush and this model could be put along side many more expensive ones made with the best tools and materials to hand and you couldn't tell.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank you Richard for your very complimentary post. I appreciate it.

Ron