A tank called SU

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi everyone

I decided that I would like to have a go at painting a tank since it has been a long time since I did one. I emphasize the painting bit since I am not a big fan of building. I picked a cheap and simple model to have a go at. It had to be Tamiya since they are usually well made models and they go together fairly well. I know this is a really old one as well but that made it fairly cheap.

box.jpg

I am going to build this without any add on after market bits although I will maybe scratch a few bits where it might help the look. No sprue shots since there is not a lot to this and I am sure you have all seen this one before.

OK Now where did I put my Tamiya Extra Thin?

John

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Interesting John, looking forward to see your paintwork on this one :thumb2:
Steven

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Here we go.... "I will maybe scratch a few bits" heard that one before somewhere :relieved:
Mike.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
With your artistic abilities the painting will be definitely worth seeing.
Jim

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks guys and welcome to this attempted blog.

I saw some videos on the interwebs of guys making new fenders so I thought I would see what I could bodge up. It looked like fun and I had a spare bit of copper sheet lying around so. After a number of attempts at cutting out the shape and a quick squirt with the blow torch I came up with these. Only blutacked on for the moment so I don't wreck them before I am ready. They will be sustaining some parking lot dents and scratches a little later.

fenders.jpg

John

D

Deleted member 6559

Good stuff John. Beware though that there might be fit issues when attaching the top of the main body to the hull. I found huge gaps under the back-plate when I tried it.

Last edited by a moderator:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Front seat please John.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Snap - I have one of these on the go John, currently waiting for me to finish assembling the tracks

Also replaced the track guards in copper sheet on mine SU-122

This should be good so count me in

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
John,
are you going to have 'a man in black' as crew? The older Tamiya kits are simple by today's standards, but they look good - apart from the rubber band tracks - which is the only thing I would replace.............
Dave

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter Welcome aboard and thanks for the heads up about the fit.

Thanks Paul

John Front and centre sir. I'm sorry I mentioned a blow torch.

Simon I won't keep up with your scratching but I do guarantee that it will get to paint.

Dave welcome along. I don't think I will add any figures to this but who knows.....

John

• Haha

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
An iconic AFV for you to get to grips with John. Looking forward to seeing your paintwork on this beast. Good luck sir.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome aboard Steve

So continuing to bodge a few bits here and there. The grill on the engine deck was a bit naff on the kit so I had a go at improving it slightly with some mesh I had. Still got the bolts to add but it's a little better.

engine grill.jpg

I also decided to add a little texture to the main steel armour and a few weld beads. Now my knowledge of Russian armour is very thin but I did hear that they tended to slap big welds on most things. I also added a little brass tube for the gun which is only dry fitted at the moment.

gun.jpg

John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Looking good. All your little extras/improvements are certainly worth while. The mesh is much better.
Jim

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
Hi John,
You do yourself a disservice, as your scratch building and detailing looks great! You’re straying into SimonTerritory by making your own gun barrels, too ;)
Really looking forward to seeing your artistry with the wet stuff later...
Alistair

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John.
Looking good, love the the lifting eyes and the barrel.
The welds are good, and I see you've used MR Hobby 500 ? on the side and front to give some texture to the plate. Good idea as the plate was quite rough rolled.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks guys for adding your encouragement. I reckon a bit of mud and dust will conceal the worst of my building. The front end is just about done now, just a few little bits to add here and there. Then I get to move on to the worst bit for me, WHEELS argh.

front end.jpg

BTW John I used Tamiya putty to add the texture. I suspect it will all fade away under the paint anywho.

John