A tank called SU

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Then I get to move on to the worst bit for me, WHEELS argh.
You could have picked a far worse vehicle, then. In fact, you won’t find overly many better than a T-34(-derivative) in that respect, with only 28 wheels in all, and if you choose the right ones, only a few will even have rubber tyres :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks for saying what it was John .
Hopefully some of the texture will still show through the paint .

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks for following along.

I think the top of the hull is now done. Still have the barrel to fix and I can't decide whether to use the kit fuel tanks or try to remake them. I know what Mr T would do.

font right.jpg

deck rear.jpg

John

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi John,

I used the kit fuel drums but modified them.

Built up as per kit then cut off the handles and sanded the ends flat. I then wrapped them with pewter sheet, overhanging the ends to get the thin sheet effect. Then added a weld seam, new filler cap and handles

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Sounds like a lot of "Re-Engineering" but I'll bet the end result was worth it. Never thought of layering like that to get the recessed ends like that. Thanks fer the tip Mr. T. John, your efforts so far are way more than I was expecting. I don't think this qualifies for an OOB build, this is a serious build and I look forward to the next installment. Rick H.

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi John bit late to the party, love all the modification work always takes it to the next level.
Keep up the excellent work.
Pete. :thumb2:

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks to you all and welcome along.

Started on the fun bit for me, painting. Here are steps 1 to 4 so far.

1 Primer
2 Black to make sure no evil white bits show through the base coats
3 My version of 4BO basic
4 Some faded green over the top to give the finish a worn look. Just a lighter green sprayed over chipping fluid.

paint 1-4.jpg

Next up some satin varnish, decals then pin washes.

This much fun should not be allowed.

John

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Glad your having a fun time John. Nice preparation work

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Be careful the "Bug" does not bite you...could very well have another Armour Builder on our hands. Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
John, thought I'd wait till the painting part but my, you have made some good additions. The four step preparation is what it's all about before the art of weathering and that is what I'm anticipating....oooh this is going to be great from you with your artistic flair.

Cheers,
Richard

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The paint is flowing thick and fast. I think I can safely say that I have used just about every product that I have in my arsenal. I saw a movie on Netflix just recently called T34. Crappy movie but I did notice how the tanks were extremely worn. I decided that I would go for the over the top well worn look.

Here are the next 4 steps

5 Satin varnish, decals
6,8 Chipping, painted tow cables, spare tracks, etc etc.

Paint 5-8.jpg

Now I have still got some finishing details to add but now is the time to start adding mud to the running gear, tracks and of course gas tanks. Qu'est ce que on s'amuse!

John

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
John,
What happened to ".... although I will maybe scratch a few bits where it might help the look....." That is an impressive piece of 'bit' replacement and the paintwork has pulled it all together, very impressed.
Mike.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
John, I have a proposition for you...I'll build 'em and you paint 'em. Phenomenal work Sir! I think you are sometimes modest to a fault.

Cheers, Rick H.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks guys

Mike just as well you can't see it from too close. And what's the thing with these rubber band tracks. You can't glue them, you can't paint them and they are tough to fit. It may well look best from the waist up.

Rick It is certainly more fun for me to paint em than to build em.

I did get one track on plus I finished the exhausts, the aerial and I got the gas tanks on although they still need weathering.

paint 9.jpg

John

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
That's why there is a whole industry built up to sell us ridiculously expensive after market track sets John :smiling3:

Poor old gal looks to have had a very hard life - but I like it :thumb2:

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
You did a great job on the weathering John :thumb2: . I like all the different colors and variations a lot. Very nice, Steven

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yup the old gal survived not getting knocked out to appear this weathered...nice layering and chipping. I knew it would turn out good, John. A layer of matt will be icing on the weathering. I guess the Russians didn't believe in ICI weatherbond. :smiling2: There are some pretty good tutorials on the Youtube for painting rubber tracks but I'm sure you're going to nail that too.

Cheers,
Richard