Academy 1/35 Tiger 1 Early

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi guys,

Pulled this from the stash the other day.

52892071175_54610c44f4_b.jpg

I got this in a job lot I bought a few years ago and was in no rush to build it as I had heard it was a dog of a kit. Spoiler warning, it is. This version dates to 1996, but I believe the original tool is from 1990. It suffers in a number of ways, including:

Unclear and confusing instructions.
Poor or completely absent location pins/marks.
Poor fitting and inaccurate parts.
Loads of flash and heavy seam lines.
A lot of mis-molded parts.
Brittle plastic.
Ridiculous connecting points (oversize and often bridging raised detail). Exhibit A below.

52891848739_a44ecc473f_b.jpg

Nonetheless I decided to give it a go, I'm not taking it too seriously, for this one good enough will do.

Started with the lower hull, it's a full interior kit so had some fun with the weathering.

52891852469_ac11e7e6eb_b.jpg

52891111132_f9d643786e_b.jpg

52892071140_25bb0498a7_b.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Front and centre please Bob. You can't have too many big pussy cats. There is also much entertainment to be had from watching someone else tame a rotten kit. Having said that it looks like a good start.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Min too :smiling3:
Looking nice so far despite the problems... Talking about vague instructions... I know all about that from my current build!! :sad:
Looking forward to seeing this develop ;)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Cool :smiling3: I built that cut in half, intending it for an action diorama with the crew inside. Never did finish that, but I had to build a lot of interior stuff that isn’t in the kit despite it saying it’s “completely detailed” … You haven’t gone that far, I see :smiling3:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice Bob. I never knew Academy made these

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Good to go Bob, whip and chair out, best way to train these kind of kits, show them you are not scared, let them see the whites of your eyes.... I have sat in the corner whimpering with some of my builds so can sympathise. But the work so far looks to your usual high standard.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Well for what you said about the kit you ain't half doing a decent job on it
Excellent work

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers all, I've been getting the turret interior together, will get some pics up in the next few days.

Michael, thanks for the offer but I'm painting this one as an Afrika Korps early Tiger so no Zim to worry about.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Nice Bob. I never knew Academy made these
I could be wrong (I usually am according to the wife) but I read this is an old Airfix kit, rebranded by Academy with some extra parts. That would probably explain why the sprues are different colours. All the interior parts are a light grey, the rest of the kit is beige/brown.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Sorry, but it’s an original Academy kit, first released something like 25 years ago. The interior parts are a light grey probably (is my guess) only because modellers expect interior parts to have a light colour :smiling3: It was Matchbox, BTW, who did each sprue in a different colour, but the parts on them were strategically placed to (sort of) get the right colours in the right places.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Sorry, but it’s an original Academy kit, first released something like 25 years ago. The interior parts are a light grey probably (is my guess) only because modellers expect interior parts to have a light colour :smiling3: It was Matchbox, BTW, who did each sprue in a different colour, but the parts on them were strategically placed to (sort of) get the right colours in the right places.
Can you remember that attrocious brown and green plastic....

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I grew up on Matchbox kits, so the sight of it makes me nostalgic :smiling3: