Academy 1/72 A-37B Dragonfly

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A little something to fill in the time before Santa comes.

1000005741.jpg

1000005796.jpg

The first thing I noticed was a very sparce office. Seats, IP and control sticks are all you get, so I ventured down the rabbit hole of research, found some good pictures, and I'm going to add a bit of extra detail where I can.

I started by thickening the consoles to give me something to attach throttle controls to

1000005797.jpg

Not much to show yet but it's a start.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
You'll have to get a move on or Santa will get here before it's done. Nice start. Looking at the box art the canopy seems quite big so worth enhancing the cockpit as you may be able to see a fair bit.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks guys.

They were exactly my thoughts Jim, plus it's something I've not done a lot of so might as well get some practice in.

I've also had a go at scribing in the quilted panels on the cockpit sides. Maybe not very accurate but I guess at this scale, an impression of detail is better than nothing.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Good to have you along Ian.

So I've added a few bits & pieces to spice the bland interior up a little. Throttle controls, pedals, seat belts, a couple of switch panels, and what I believe is the canopy opening mech with the yellow handle

1000005814.jpg

1000005815.jpg

I added some weight in the nose. 5 grammes is recommended but I squeezed in as much as I could before closing up the fuselage. Hopefully it's enough, but I've got options to add more elsewhere if it fails the seesaw test.

1000005816.jpg

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
That caught me out!! I saw Dragonfly and instantly thought helicopter!!!!
WestlandDragonfly.jpeg

However, that's nice, and the progress?? The man is unstoppable!!
As the wind is building up, I'll pull up a chair and give the magic carpet Mk7 a rest!!!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks guys, glad to have you along.

I agree Joe, it fits together very well indeed. The IP seems to sit quite high though, not sure how the pilot would see over the top of it! :smiling5:

I had a day off today so it's already in primer. Surprising how quickly a kit can go together when everything fits as it should.

There are a couple of areas that need a little attention and I forgot to rescribe the air brakes, but it's not far off ready for paint.

I don't have the exact colours and I'm not buying them in just to use a few drops, so I'll mix some similar shades from what I have.

1000005822.jpg

1000005823.jpg

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I gotta say something before Andy wraps up the build. :smiling6: Besides the spartan cockpit, the kit is really good. You've done a good job of the office. I thought initially the quilting detail came with the kit..well done on scribing it. The next time I chyme in it will be in the completed section I guess. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Wabble

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks chaps. I really like the shape of this aircraft. I'll have to keep my eye out for a larger scale one, but for the price of a few beers this is great.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I gotta say something before Andy wraps up the build. :smiling6: Besides the spartan cockpit, the kit is really good. You've done a good job of the office. I thought initially the quilting detail came with the kit..well done on scribing it. The next time I chyme in it will be in the completed section I guess. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Wabble
I have too much time on my hands at the moment so seem to be rattling through the builds :smiling5:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've made a couple more adjustments to the kit.

There's absolutely no engine detail at all, just empty space between the inlet & exhaust, so I've added a couple of bits to make it look a bit more like the real thing. Should look something like once painted:

1000005836.jpg

1000005835.jpg

Also, the instructions would have you fit the landing gear doors like this:

1000005843.jpg

However the inner door is only open while the gear is moving, it appears to close once the wheels are locked down, so I modified the part a little to pose it closed:

1000005838.jpg

With that done I started painting. I seem to have forgotten to photo the underside but that was done in a light grey similar to the correct FS shade.

The camo was painted in whatever I could mix that was similar to reference pictures:

1000005844.jpg

1000005845.jpg

1000005846.jpg

1000005847.jpg

Decals tomorrow, all being well.