Academy 1/72 A-37B Dragonfly

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Andy. I didn't realise the inner gear doors were only down during transit, I followed the instructions on mine. Ah well.

Looking great, can't wait to see it loaded up

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Paul.

Nice work Andy. I didn't realise the inner gear doors were only down during transit, I followed the instructions on mine. Ah well.

Looking great, can't wait to see it loaded up
Thanks. I didn't know until I saw a walkaround video where the guy mentioned it. Looking at a few other pics confirmed it.

You mentioned earlier about the various antenna. Can I ask what you used? I'm toying between a guitar string or trying to stretch some sprue really thin. Most of what I have is too thick for the scale.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Thanks Paul.

Thanks. I didn't know until I saw a walkaround video where the guy mentioned it. Looking at a few other pics confirmed it.

You mentioned earlier about the various antenna. Can I ask what you used? I'm toying between a guitar string or trying to stretch some sprue really thin. Most of what I have is too thick for the scale.
Hi Andy,

For antennas I use pole fishing float wire. Comes in 15cm straight lengths and gos down to about 0.15mm.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Andy,

For antennas I use pole fishing float wire. Comes in 15cm straight lengths and gos down to about 0.15mm.
I'll have a look, thanks.

Just had a very enjoyable catch up with this one Andy,a cracking job mate,and even better when considering the scale!!:astonished:
Top stuff :cool:.
Cheers Andy, I'm enjoying these little ones.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Mike

She's now standing on her feet and I've attached the canopy. I dropped it twice, breaking the refuelling nozzle in two places, but it's not too noticeably wonky.

Just a few more pieces then I can get the noisy bangy things on.

1000005880.jpg

1000005879.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking excellent up on its feet andy , for the antenna I’d consider a synthetic paintbrush bristle ( the ones they sell now for household decorating - gutted that you cant get a proper natural bristle brush anymore without paying a small fortune ! sorry rant over !) or one of my faves the good old toothbrush bristle . The advantage of both of these is that they will withstand knocks / dusting etc and bounce back , cheers tony

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Ian & Tony.

After several attempts I managed to stretch some sprue to my liking. The academy stuff just wouldn't play ball but I found a piece of Eduard which worked first time.

Flexible bristles might be a good shout though as I'm bound to knock them about.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hi Andy, just seen this query. I used thin electrical wire and attached them to the model with CA glue, then painted them black. The plastic, bristle or filament options proposed by others here will all do the same job. The tail horizontal stabiliser antennae were the trickiest as they are so small. Your Dragonfly is looking good, I'll keep an eye out for the finished thread.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Joe, I ended up going with Tony's suggestion. I had a paintbrush with black bristles so it worked well, if fiddly like you say.

The competed thread is here :smiling3: