advice please on good quality paint brushes

C

chezzagaga

hi everyone. ive been painting the small parts of my model..no problem, and managed to do a nice job as ive took my time..Last night, i started painting the engines with a no 3 brush (revell) and i was soooo disapointed and annoyed because the bristles kept coming off..i tried picking them off but i dont want to ruin the paintwork..so as a result i have the odd bristle stuck to my engines. :sad: are there any better quality brushes about? personally, i dont think these revell brushes are THAT great. but then as this is my first time building, i might be doing something wrong? but i would still be interested in a better quality brush.. also, what brush could i use to paint the body of the plane eventually? im dreading the thought of all my hard work then landing up with bristles on the body of the plane..which will be painted in white gloss. thanks. :smiling3:

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I'm not an expert on brushes but I believe sable would be the way to go, also AK Interactive have brought out a set of brushes which I've heard lots of good things about

T

tecdes

I go to my local art shop where they have quality Sable brushes. Expensive but found if you look after them they look after you.

Got advice here which I pass on. Really wash out your brushes so that you clear the stock of the brush of all paint etc. If you do not then you will end up with a selection as I have of brushes which have "forked tongue".

I now only use at a maximum of the bottom half of the brush hair keeping the stock well clear of paint. Worked well. Also think it was Colin CDW who said after washing slightly twist with moist lips (making sure you have removed all your last nights lipstick & powder) to leave with a nice pointed brush. I store mine upright in a jar to avoid crushing if laid on their side.

Laurie

Last edited:
C

CDW

I only use natural hair brushes, preferably sable (cheap or expensive? doesn't really matter if you look after them)

I find synthetic brushes are ok if you just want a rough cover or a half decent base coat. (although i don't use them if i can help it) as they tend to scratch and drag the paint as it goes on, no matter how soft they feel ... they normally end up as stipple brushes or used specifically for weathering.

Most of my brushes i use for modeling are also used as watercolour brushes if i fancy knocking out a picture or two so i tend to be a little over-protective of them :smiling3:

Looking after them is quite easy really (bearing in mind i only use acrylic paint) just clean with some fresh water, a touch of washing liquid can help, then rinse in clean water, dry with a clean piece of kitchen towel.

And as laurie says above, if you have any of the finer pointed brushes then just shape it with your lips using a little saliva, it'll hold the brush in the shape untill you next use it, and store them point upright.

Some cheap brushes come with a protective tube that fits over the brush, i swap these over to my better brushes just for a bit of extra protection if i put them back in the wallet.

If you wash the brush before using then just pull at the bristles whilst rinsing etc, the loose stuff (if any) will pull out easier.

Bristles are easily removed from wet paint by using a needle point, then just go over the area again with a little fresh paint.

First Name
Andy
I'm with Colin, I only use natural brushes also, just before I use them I lick my thumb and finger and lightly pull the brush through them, just in case there's any loose hairs...

I also use Vallejo 85ml Brush Restorer 28.890 every now and then, I pop them to sock for a couple of hours or so, (it helps remove all the paint that's gathered at the top of the bristles) and then I rinse them under the tap after...

C

chezzagaga

hi. thankyou all for the advice.. youll probably laugh at this..but ive been cleaning mine with white spirit...the stuff for decorating. looool!! i didnt try soap and water. i really appreciate the advice. :smiling3:

T

tecdes

If you are using oil based paint that is OK Chezz.

Water for Acrylics.

Laurie

C

capt-pugwash

n1 chez i was going to ask the same question...lol.

jeff.

First Name
Adrian
I always use sable now and they arent too expensive, with a little care they will pay for themselves compared to the cheaper ones on the market.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi cheryl, dont forget that theres a good selection of quality brushes in the scale-models online shop , the humbrol palpo pack of 4 sable brushes looks a great buy. As for the airbus , i intend spraying the white bits on mine with a Halfords appliance white gloss aerosol. This stuff is fab for airliners and gives a lovely finish ( have a look in my gallery theres a few done with it , concorde , skyvan, Dh Heron , super constellation) cheers tony

C

chezzagaga

thanks everyone. i will check out the brushes in the shop on here then. thatS great.. i wanted to also ask if anyone had tips on painting the wheels? ive painted them all lovely, and now i have to paint the middle of the wheels in silver. im dreading it!! especially the front wheels..they are tiny..im scared ill mess them up. ha!! im so shocked at the detail and tiny parts..ive built the axle, and that itself was in three parts. and my nails are long.. talk about hard. :lol but its all good. i really enjoy it. and im already thinking of buying another model to build. :D

First Name
Adrian
I would say paint the silver first then use Nato black ( Tamiya XF-69 ) to do the rubber part, if you thin it down let it flow up to the rim of the silver. Thats how I do mine anyways, I'm sure there will be various ideas for you to decide on :smiling3:

C

CDW

you could get yourself a silver paint pen from a hobby shop. the type that is used to write wedding invites etc.

they are acrylic and the paint goes where you point it :smiling3:

I use them for some of the finer detail on models (its not cheating .... honest:smiling3: :smiling3: )

C

chezzagaga

thanks to both of you, thats really clever advice.:thumbs-up: i should have painted on the silver first then gone round with the black..it makes sense. :smiling3: but since ive already painted the wheels black, i think the silver paint pen is perfect. thankyou. im allowed to cheat alittle..its my first attempt. :smiling5:

C

chezzagaga

ive just ordered one of them pens on ebay.. im so impressed with that idea. :D :sorted:

I

ian lanc

I always use Italeri brush's.

Beautiful points and they lay the paint down evenly.

Italeri Synthetic Paint Brush for Tamiya & Airfix Plastic Model Size 000 to 12 | eBay

C

CDW

I've tried the Italeri and Humbrol synthetic bristle brushes, they're ok up to "0" for fine detail work needing a stiffer set, i found that anything over that was a little over-stiff and "draggy" for me.

This is obviously just my own opinion and everybodys requirements are different.

C

CDW

\ said:
ive just ordered one of them pens on ebay.. im so impressed with that idea. :D :sorted:
i think you'll be impressed with the ease of use too ..... they're ideal for giving a "chipped paint look" as an extra feature (if you decide to do any stress-weathering on future models:smiling3:)

C

chezzagaga

thanks guys for all the great advice! :smiling3: my pen turned up..and oh..my..god..my wheels look great! im impressed! thanks CDW. ;)

T

tecdes

\ said:
thanks guys for all the great advice! :smiling3: my pen turned up..and oh..my..god..my wheels look great! im impressed! thanks CDW. ;)
Could you give details Chezza. Thanks.

Laurie