AFV Club 1/35 Centurion Mk5/2 with 105mm gun

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Its been a while now since I've built a large tank model and have been looking at this kit for quite a while now. Once I've straightened out my desk I will make a start. The only additional thing I've bought are some tracks to replace the one piece kit ones. The model is supplied with working suspension (well until I chuck the glue around) an aluminium rifled gun barrel, some PE and rubber road wheels. Here are the sprue shots.
C 2.jpgC 1.jpgC 3.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s a very good kit, though as usual with AFV Club you need to keep paying attention as to how all the small parts go :smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looks a very nice kit. Lots of very small parts to test your skills and patience, typical AFV. I'll watch progress with interest.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'll join Jakko and Jim Mick .
The only thing I know about the cent is I did a driving test in one at Borden in the late 60's. Best thing I've ever driven !

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
It’s a very good kit, though as usual with AFV Club you need to keep paying attention as to how all the small parts go :smiling3:
Thanks for the heads up Jakko
Looks a very nice kit. Lots of very small parts to test your skills and patience, typical AFV. I'll watch progress with interest.
A patience and eye sight test Jim :smiling:
I'll join Jakko and Jim Mick .
The only thing I know about the cent is I did a driving test in one at Borden in the late 60's. Best thing I've ever driven !
Welcome along JR , now that's something to take a test in

Reactions: JR

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'll pop in and out Mick ,there's some nice new centurions going about in 72nd now but with my current stash only policy they might have to be b/day pressies so hoping this turns out intresting and not too tempting. Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
My father got his tank driver’s licence on one back then, as he was a conscript sergeant/tank-mechanic in the TD (Technische Dienst, “Technical Service,” the Dutch equivalent to British REME), and I don’t think he’s as positive about it as you are :smiling3: I also know that when the Leopard 1(NL) began replacing Centurions, there was much rejoicing among tank drivers.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
My father got his tank driver’s licence on one back then, as he was a conscript sergeant/tank-mechanic in the TD (Technische Dienst, “Technical Service,” the Dutch equivalent to British REME), and I don’t think he’s as positive about it as you are :smiling3: I also know that when the Leopard 1(NL) began replacing Centurions, there was much rejoicing among tank drivers.
I did my tracked vehicle training on both the Cent Mk.12 and the 432... The later Cents were not as bad as the Chieftains...

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Nice choice Mick.
Problem points.
The internal grills at the rear can be a bit awkward, but they are hidden.
The track guards need watching to make sure they are horizontal to the ground, I made a jig to hold them.
The turret top can develop a distinct lip between it and the sides, and the join at the rear.
The headlight brush guards can become broken. (new 3D ones are available from Scorpion Scale Models) As are the engine hatch handles.
Workable tracks.
They can be a bit frustrating, trying to clip them together, and will have a tendancy to come apart at crucial moments...
Resin tyres are available as a replacement for the rubber ones again from Scorpion.
Suspension arms/rods will hold together without the need for the hot nail head treatment.
Track tensioner can be left loose untill you fit the tracks and then the tension can be taken up.
Other than these points the kit itself is well woth the effort, and using the resin items from Scorpion other later marks can be built.
Will sit at the back and watch with interest.
Mike

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks for the heads up Jakko

A patience and eye sight test Jim :smiling:

Welcome along JR , now that's something to take a test in
Yes it was Mick , used to say tracked vehicle steered by its tracks on the old style driving licence .

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mick,
I have looked at this kit a few times so very interested to see what you make of it. Chair pulled up bring on the biscuits.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I'll pop in and out Mick ,there's some nice new centurions going about in 72nd now but with my current stash only policy they might have to be b/day pressies so hoping this turns out intresting and not too tempting. Dave
Welcome along Dave

Nice choice Mick.
Problem points.
The internal grills at the rear can be a bit awkward, but they are hidden.
The track guards need watching to make sure they are horizontal to the ground, I made a jig to hold them.
The turret top can develop a distinct lip between it and the sides, and the join at the rear.
The headlight brush guards can become broken. (new 3D ones are available from Scorpion Scale Models) As are the engine hatch handles.
Workable tracks.
They can be a bit frustrating, trying to clip them together, and will have a tendancy to come apart at crucial moments...
Resin tyres are available as a replacement for the rubber ones again from Scorpion.
Suspension arms/rods will hold together without the need for the hot nail head treatment.
Track tensioner can be left loose untill you fit the tracks and then the tension can be taken up.
Other than these points the kit itself is well woth the effort, and using the resin items from Scorpion other later marks can be built.
Will sit at the back and watch with interest.
Mike
Thanks for the pointers Mike and welcome along

Mick,
I have looked at this kit a few times so very interested to see what you make of it. Chair pulled up bring on the biscuits.
Always a pleasure to have you along bud, even used the correct password, biscuits

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
And if you’re going to fit the bazooka plates, you only need to build about two-thirds of each track, since the top run will be completely out of sight. I used a length of thin nylon string to pull the ends together on the only AFV Club Centurion I actually finished ;)

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
And if you’re going to fit the bazooka plates, you only need to build about two-thirds of each track, since the top run will be completely out of sight. I used a length of thin nylon string to pull the ends together on the only AFV Club Centurion I actually finished ;)
More food for thought, thanks Jakko

Lots of little bits already Mick
Plenty more to come Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Best looking tank ever! I'll watch from the back of the room if I may.
Pete

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just seen this Mick, one of a very small list of post WW2 Tanks that i actually like!!:hugging-face:
.... I`m in mate,looking forward to seeing what you do with it.:thumb2: