airfix 1.24 hawker typhoon diorama

W

wellsyman1985

\ said:
Brilliant start on an amazing kit. What do you think of the quality of the parts, I.e. Mouldings, detail, plastic quality etc? Is your canopy OK?Thanks for sharing the build with us.
The plastic is flimsey . The detail fantastic . No my canopy was cracked been waiting for over a week for a replacement . Moulding a lot of pin marks And a of little bits of plastic hanging of the parts . . hope this help you . but don't let it put you down on the kit .

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
The plastic is flimsey . The detail fantastic . No my canopy was cracked been waiting for over a week for a replacement . Moulding a lot of pin marks And a of little bits of plastic hanging of the parts . . hope this help you . but don't let it put you down on the kit .
Oh it hasn't, I've bought one already but I haven't seen it yet!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
1:24 dio, good heavens, this will be good. Just imagine some of the junk you can have hanging around the barn etc.

W

wellsyman1985

\ said:
1:24 dio, good heavens, this will be good. Just imagine some of the junk you can have hanging around the barn etc.
I've got some thing ready :smiling3:

B

Bunkerbarge

My brain cannot compute the resources that went into developing the original aircraft to this standard of complexity, then everything that goes into manufacturing the thing, training the pilot, ground crew administration etc. not to mention support industries such as electrical, hydraulics etc. just to see it blown out of the sky by the enemy.

This is such an amazing kit that it starts your mind wandering into such areas of thinking because you really get to see what is involved in these things. I was surprised to see a 24 cylinder engine. What would it cost nowadays to simply mass produce a 24 (or is it 12, Steve will know!) cylinder aircraft engine? War is certainly a staggering waste of resources.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Welcome to the forum Steven, very nice work so far. Excellent, not being a aircraft person, not sure what green bit you're after.

Si:smiling3:

W

wellsyman1985

brett green he is the person who did the book on how to build the 1.24 hawker typhoon . picture one show you part c 24 and c 35 where they should go . but in the secord picture it show you the parts the other away round ? so which is right ?

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Steven, The Airfix Magazine for June 2014 had a Typhoon insert including a build review by one Steve Budd. He has those components set up the same way as the instructions and not as Brett Green does. However I found cutaways that show 'C35' in the position shown in Airfix's instructions. Here is one link to a cutaway of a Typhoon showing that part aside the rear tube and not behind it as built by the two modellers: https://thelexicans.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/hawkertyphoonibbymaxmil.jpg

A Sabre at Hendon, I think that is the component in question at the rear, in which case this backs up the Airfix instructions:

A walk around of a Sabre and a Typhoon build, also backing up the Airfix instructions:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/walkaround/wk.php?wid=130

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
And just in case here is another cutaway showing that Airfix instructions are likely the most correct: http://www.valka.cz/galerie5/data/656/Typhoon.JPG

W

wellsyman1985

Thank you am going to carry on tomorrow and do it as the airfix manual showed . no idea why Brett green as done it that way

W

wellsyman1985

Thank you . when the other building get the engine there going to have fun lol .

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
really looking good great work so far ;)