Airfix 1/24 Supermarine Spitfire MK VB

P

Polux

I'm not agree with you Alan....is not looking like a Spitfire, is looking like a GREAT Spitfire ;)

Lovely work!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks chaps for the kind comments:smiling3:

This was a great opportunity to try this fading technic as I have a panzer IV j and I wanted to see if it worked for the camo , looks like it's a winner :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great job with the blended oil camo Alan , thats one to remember for future reference! I know figure painters use oils for faces and stuff but its the first time ive seen it used on a large surface. You mentioned highlighting the rivets earlier , I did just that a few years ago with the old Revell 1/32 Corsair ,I just very carefully rubbed over them with an extremely fine piece of wet and dry (started out as 1200 but was very worn so probably more like 4000 grit!) This rubbed off the paint on the rivet heads and showed the light coloured plastic underneath , giving the impression of paint flaking off the rivets . The other option is the silver coloured pencil patrick mentions , easy to just touch them with this to highlight them. Cheers tony

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Great job with the blended oil camo Alan , thats one to remember for future reference! I know figure painters use oils for faces and stuff but its the first time ive seen it used on a large surface. You mentioned highlighting the rivets earlier , I did just that a few years ago with the old Revell 1/32 Corsair ,I just very carefully rubbed over them with an extremely fine piece of wet and dry (started out as 1200 but was very worn so probably more like 4000 grit!) This rubbed off the paint on the rivet heads and showed the light coloured plastic underneath , giving the impression of paint flaking off the rivets . The other option is the silver coloured pencil patrick mentions , easy to just touch them with this to highlight them. Cheers tony
Cheers Tony :smiling3:

If you do deside to do a camo in oils just remember you don't need to put a lot on as it goes further than acrylic or enamels :smiling3:

Now all the decals are on View attachment 95149

just let the micro-sol work then add the antenna and the bits underneath and I can get down to the good bit of weathering:smiling3:
image.jpg

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
This now makes me want to do another one but where would i put it.

Peter t

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great use of oils Alan. I never thought of doing a model that way.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Well this has been a hoot thanks to everyone who joined me in this build I enjoyed it and from the comments I know you did too :smiling3:

This was an experience in old airfix kits but it's true when people say a little bit of work and this does turn out looking very good and for me I think that after a year of building aircraft kits in all sizes i think I'm finally getting there :D

View attachment 95219

The rest of the photos will be in the completed thread in oh about five minutes:smiling3:
image.jpg