Airfix 1/48 Canadair Sabre F.4

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hello my friends and yes I sincerely do consider you all my friends, I've never been on a more friendly or helpful forum ever!

So, the story behind this is that the Sabre was one of the first 2-3 kits I bought and I totally forgot about it! I was just looking through my stash trying to decide what to start next
and I found this kit had fallen down behind the shelves! I'd totally forgotten about it and it's still sealed! (or was until 3 mins ago)

So, we'll start with some basic box/kit images. I like that the Airfix boxes are nice and sturdy (if it was a Revell kit, it probably would have been crushed) although there is one thing
that I dislike about Airfix and that is they put all the sprues in one bag. I prefer them bagged seperately like other manufacturers do.

Anyway I genuinely have a good feeling about this, so here we are at the start, opened the box and we have this.

sabre_1.pngsabre_2.pngsabre_3.pngsabre_4.png

This is going to be better than the last, I feel it in my bones! :D

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Okay, I think I may need a little pointer here:

If you look at step 4 (top right) it shows the pilot seat and its empty, but then look at step 5 and suddenly the seat has what look like seatbelts etc.

Now.. I'm wondering there these come from, there is no PE in the kit and looking at the decal sheet, there is nothing like that. so, what am I missing?

seat.png

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug

If you look at step 4 (top right) it shows the pilot seat and its empty, but then look at step 5 and suddenly the seat has what look like seatbelts etc.

Now.. I'm wondering there these come from, there is no PE in the kit and looking at the decal sheet, there is nothing like that. so, what am I missing?

View attachment 506446
I can only assume it's representing aftermarket seatbelts Steve and where they would fit?
Hopefully, someone with more experience will be along to answer your query directly!!!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I kind of suspect that maybe Airfix originally intended to mould seat belts in, but then decided to not do them after all — but somebody overlooked this part of the instructions when updating those.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I kind of suspect that maybe Airfix originally intended to mould seat belts in, but then decided to not do them after all — but somebody overlooked this part of the instructions when updating those.
That could be it yes.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Been assembling and painting the cockpit. I'm terrible with a hairy stick as you can see but thankfully most of this will be hidden by the canopy.
I will add a wash in the hopes of bringing out some detail, we'll see how it goes.

It seems I have to decide very soon if I want the gun door closed or open. I'd love to have it open showing the guns but I'm not sure I could do a decent enough paint job on them. it's a tough call!

cpit_1.pngcpit_2.png

Last edited:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick

View attachment 506446
I have this kit and the other boxing, I’d be looking for an aftermarket resin seat come the time I build it.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WITH THE GUN COVER Steve why not try an fit a tiny hinge so you can have it open or closed so the best of both world like i have done on my tomcat as you only have one cover an it would set the model off but up to you on that
ch risb

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike

View attachment 506446
OK, not a problem, Just checked mine and you have two seat pans one without belts/straps if you are going to have the pilot in the cockpit and a bare seat pan if you are not.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
With the gun compartment, you can fit the guns and if not happy you can still cloes it up, or show one side open and the other closed.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
OK, not a problem, Just checked mine and you have two seat pans one without belts/straps if you are going to have the pilot in the cockpit and a bare seat pan if you are not.
is yours the same one, because I can't see that here.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Ignore my comment about the seats.
I have had a good search through the sprues and not rushed this time.
Airfix have included drawings/illustrations from their North-American F-86F-40 Sabre aircraft using the F-86 seat and have not offered the ejection seat as fitted to later RAF Sabres.
We have the same seat BUT also the ejection seat (sprue frame 'C') fitted to RAF aircraft. To fit either is NOT wrong, but you need to look at earlier additions to the RAF inventory for their Sabres with the 'armchair' seat you have fitted, if you really want to be pedantic or just build the model from the box - I prefer the model from the box.
So you/we are right and Airfix are wrong for misleading the modelmaker instead of correcting their instructions.
20240414_110655_HDR.jpg
Our sprue 'C' - ejector seat on the left and 'armchair' seat on the right.
20240414_112932_HDR.jpg
My reference, plus the Haynes F-86 book.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
ahhh thanks! I'm somewhat less confused now. haha!
I was at first, I opened the kit some time ago and could have sworn they included the two offerings, and I am sure they do it in their other kits.