Airfix 1/48 Canadair Sabre F.4

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
okay, small update. I've not done much on this because I was kind of stuck. I got to the joining of the fuselage pieces but it needed a 10g weight in the nose.
This stumped me for several reasons: 1 - I don't do metric, my brain only works in imperial still.. so I had no idea how heavy 10g was until I "borrowed" some scales from the wife.

Then I just couldn't find anything to fit the weight and the small space, tried all sorts of things, ball bearings, screws, magnets, even tried 2 20p coins glued together
but nope, they were slightly too wide to fit. so I was at a loss until someone suggested fishing weights and something called liquid gravity.

I decided on trying the liquid gravity which is like a bottle filled with tiny balls, so I weighed out 9g of those and mixed them with some pva glue and splodged the lot inside the model, just in front of the cockpit. it should work (we'll see!)

So.. having finally done that, I've finally glued the sides together and started work on the wings.
I've decided on having the speed brakes closed but one gun bay open and the other closed. (you can see my awful painting of the guns/ammo belts here)

sabre.png

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Fishing lead, sold as shot or split shot, works well too. Or offcuts of roofing lead, which can be cut with a Stanley knife and shaped with a moderate-size hammer :smiling3:

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm getting close to painting it but I have to say I'm a little disappointed. I just looked at the livery options and there are two which are pretty much
identical apart from the decals. That is a blue underside and camo fuselage/wings. (I have had some issues fitting a couple of the parts, which you can probably tell
but I hope the paintwork covers the mess)

I wanted to have a chrome/silver livery but alas I don't have that option so have to do camo regardless.. a pity, I think silver sabres look so cool.

sabre.png

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL buy some A/M US AIRFORCE DECALS then you can do it in bear metal silver with the bright yellow stripe as i loved them colours on a saber

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
I wanted to have a chrome/silver livery but alas I don't have that option so have to do camo regardless.. a pity, I think silver sabres look so cool.
They do. But to be honest, the first thing that comes to mind when I think of a Sabre is a silver US machine with yellow stripes.
Personally, I find a camouflaged “exotic” much more attractive.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Been assembling and painting the cockpit. I'm terrible with a hairy stick as you can see but thankfully most of this will be hidden by the canopy.
I will add a wash in the hopes of bringing out some detail, we'll see how it goes.

It seems I have to decide very soon if I want the gun door closed or open. I'd love to have it open showing the guns but I'm not sure I could do a decent enough paint job on them. it's a tough call!

View attachment 506515View attachment 506516
No Guts, No Glory! En Avant Mon Ami! (Pardon my French!)
Steve

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looking good so far. For me silver is a difficult colour to work with and get right. Stick with your present idea for the finish.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I did the main painting work yesterday. First I masked it up as good as possible and sprayed two coats of blue to the underside, then left it to dry and then sprayed the fuselage and wings grey then a few hours later I used masking goo on it for the camo and gave it two coats of green.

is it perfect? of course not but I can't expect it to be even close to perfect with my level of skill and experience but am I happy with how it looks? Yes!!
She needs a little touching up here and there but overall, I'm quite happy with it so far!

I will say that I hate the fact I have gaps all over, I didn't notice but now I do. but I'll just be happy if I can finish this as-is.

s_1.pngs_2.pngs_3.pngs_4.png

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Great to see you are improving and above all learning to recognise where you can improve further on your next model. Remember the panic you had with your last model, I see none of that now, but a model maker sorting out his problems as he goes.
Looking forward to more of this build.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Got to agree with the above: you’re clearly learning from your mistakes. Everybody starts like this, but if you can see progress in your work, you’ll get the satisfaction of having achieved that.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That all looks very nice Steve. The pit stands out just great.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Looking good Steve. Just had a bit of catch up as I'm having troubles myself right now. As a precaution I have moved my hammer further away from the bench just in case!!!!! ;) You seem to have nailed this one. :thumb2:

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thought it was going too good. I've spent the last two full days painting the wheels over and over and over and over and.. well you get it.
I get the rubber black on the silver hub or silver on the rubber. I have painted them over eight times now!!

and quite frankly I'm at the edge of giving up again. How can it be so hard to paint WHEELS!?!!? Tried brush, tried airbrush but it makes no difference.
I'm losing my mind right now. I thought I was getting close to finishing this but the damn wheels have finished me.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thought it was going too good. I've spent the last two full days painting the wheels over and over and over and over and.. well you get it.
I get the rubber black on the silver hub or silver on the rubber. I have painted them over eight times now!!

and quite frankly I'm at the edge of giving up again. How can it be so hard to paint WHEELS!?!!? Tried brush, tried airbrush but it makes no difference.
I'm losing my mind right now. I thought I was getting close to finishing this but the damn wheels have finished me.
Paint the hub, paint the tyre close to the rim and then run an earth/dust-coloured wash to bridge the gap perhaps!
Steve