Airfix 1:48 Seafire FR 47

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A few pics of my Airfix 1:48 Seafire FR 47, finished today.

In the end I opted for a vac form canopy as I felt that this was the only part that let the kit down a bit.

This was of those kits I've been waiting for. And waiting, then suddenly Airfix released it - and I had to have one.

It's a re-boxing of their 1996 moulding, but you really would think it was a new mould kit, it's that good.

I've built it with the wings un folded and missed out many of the various fuel tanks / rockets etc, just because I wanted to maintain the clean lines of the Seafire.

View attachment 51083View attachment 51090View attachment 51087View attachment 51084

View attachment 51089View attachment 51088View attachment 51086View attachment 51085

I couldn't find much history on this one. The FR 47 was used in the Korean war, but to what extent this AC was used I can't determine.

So, at last, I have a contra-rotating prop Seafire in my little collection.

View attachment 53691

View attachment 53692

View attachment 53693

View attachment 53694

View attachment 53695

View attachment 53696

View attachment 53697

View attachment 53698

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful work colin! A fantastic build of a really cool aircraft, well worth 5 stars . All you need now is a Wyvern and a Sea Fury to make a wicked line up !!! cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
... and a beautiful addition to your collection it is! ***** from me too.

Gern

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh thats raised the bar a bit. A wonderful result Colin. Looks like I have my work cut out to get mine to look that good!!!

Five well earned stars from ma as well.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Love the colours, beautiful build. Add 5 Stars from me too. Derek

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
i'am not an aircraft person but that's an 10 out of 10 and 5***** from me

peter

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks all for having a look. It was the fact it has a contra-rotating prop that made me want one ! Silly I know.

So Tony, the Wyvern - another contra-rotating prop...mmmmmm Now, I already have two sets of three (Gulf war and V bombers) So maybe a Naval set might be on the cards. Hang on a second Tony, I seem to recall you might of had a hand in persuading me to do the 3 V bombers. Oh well, here we (might) go again !!

Colin M..

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Nice one colin, a cracking looking spit, eh Sea, however it's called it's brill.

5 stars from me too.

Tony.

A

andyrobs

Hi Colin, cracking build mate, well deserving of another big 5 stars from me as well

Cheers, Andrew

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
By heck Colin, thats a nice looking build mate. Big five mate.

Have fun, John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hej Colin, could I just ask how much of that rather nice cockpit can be seen once the fuselage is buttoned up? Could you post a photo looking in the door?

I'm still contemplating as to buy the cockpit set or not...

Ian M

T

tecdes

Very nice Colin I like that very much.

Nice understated weathering.

Laurie

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Thanks all for having a look. It was the fact it has a contra-rotating prop that made me want one ! Silly I know. So Tony, the Wyvern - another contra-rotating prop...mmmmmm Now, I already have two sets of three (Gulf war and V bombers) So maybe a Naval set might be on the cards. Hang on a second Tony, I seem to recall you might of had a hand in persuading me to do the 3 V bombers. Oh well, here we (might) go again !!

Colin M..
You know you want to !! (think of me as the little devil on your shoulder saying "Go on!!", with an angel on the other side saying " youve got enough kits to do colin , control yourself" But heres a little curve ball for you-- How about a Wyvern and a GANNET!! , 2 naval contra prop beasties !! and another one - the Shackleton !!! cheers evil tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Hej Colin, could I just ask how much of that rather nice cockpit can be seen once the fuselage is buttoned up? Could you post a photo looking in the door?I'm still contemplating as to buy the cockpit set or not...

Ian M
Ian, is the cockpit set still visible? well you have to look really hard to see inside the model. Mine is painted a very dark gray. I would suggest, cheating a bit and using a lighter shade of gray, I reckon this will help.

But anyway, some pics - with the aid of flash.

View attachment 51111View attachment 51112View attachment 51113View attachment 51114

View attachment 53719

View attachment 53720

View attachment 53721

View attachment 53722

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thank you all again for having a look.

@Ade and Laurie - restrained weathering, not like me is it ? However, I believe these AC did have a very hard life aboard HMS Triumph. Due to bad weather at sea and constant use many developed creases in the fuselage and had to be withdrawn from use. It was hard work to keep them in the air, so they might have been a fair bit more 'well used' than I have shown here, but I couldn't find any evidence of this suspicion.

Now then Tony, stop it right there.......................but, that Shackleton, now that is nice. However, for me it needs to be the tail dragger. Mind you, I think I'm safe, Shackleton kits are a bit like hen's teeth !

Colin M..

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Colin. Think I will be ordering the cockpit.

Now a Wyvern is right at the top of my list as well. A gannet too but they are in the silly money class at the moment.

Ian M