Airfix 1/72 bf109e-4 Franz von Werra

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Got the canopies masked and fitted and all the main pieces primed . The undercarriage will be fitted in the closed position and the under nose panel has been suitably battered and will be positioned slightly to the side as in the photo. Because of this I’ve added a basic representation of the bottom of the engine ( or should that be top? It was an inverted v12) , two bits of sprue being the cam covers and a couple of bits of fuse wire . The aileron mass balances and the underwing pitot have been bent back and glued , not that theyll be seen ! Next is some paint and ive got to start thinking about the base , cheers tony1848E395-4A67-468A-ABC3-9DD371F831AE.jpeg9A123C40-3B40-4B08-8DF5-942A420915BB.jpeg8529820C-A807-4448-ABA8-A6EBF9FA05F8.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Got a bit of paint on today . First I gave the nose a coat of white then masked this off and the undersides and sides got a coat of rlm 65 . I still havent sourced a base yet but Ive been looking into what im going to do .At the time of the incident ( september) the crops in the field would most likely have been harvested and the sparse looking field in the photo shows this . There would probably be a few plants still left or that had grown after harvesting so the field isnt completely bare , as evidenced by the clump of plants collected by the tailwheel . Looking at the photo , I reckon its probably a field of harvested Lucerne so ive got to source some green vegetation for the field, which will be made using tile adhesive ( a tip picked up from Ron ( @spanner570 )IMG_3840.jpegIMG_3841.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well the figures have arrived today . Its the Zvezda snap together set of British troops. I am going to use the two standing helmeted chaps but in slightly different poses . The assortment of arms makes this easier . Ive still got to source a base and spread it with muck ! ( tile adhesive !) IMG_3865.jpegIMG_3866.jpegIMG_3867.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Started the base today . I got a piece of 6mm MDF and cut it to 7 inch square . I scored it with a stanley knife to get a bit of a key for the tile adhesive and gave it a coat of PVA so the MDF doesnt suck all the moisture out of the adhesive too quickly. IMG_3875.jpegIMG_3876.jpegIMG_3877.jpegIMG_3878.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Bit more done on the aircraft and figures. Ive cut out the access panel on the right side of the engine cowling as the photo shows this to be open . I added the panel from plastic card and luckily the basic engine shape airfix moulded can be seen through the cut out . The figures from the set have been altered using the different arms so the two home guard chaps look like theyre just standing about , guarding the aircraft. IMG_3930.jpegIMG_3931.jpegIMG_3929.jpeg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice progress Tony.

I'm really sorry to have shot you down during the Battle of Britain, but it was our sky!

At least you were able to see a bit of my country, travel to Canada, then the USA all for free.......

"There are no enemies in the Brotherhood of the Skies."

'Stapme' Stapleton

Last edited:

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Watching and learning. Very useful to know how to make a nice little diorama. Build looks good - would you say the panel lines are a little heavy on Airfix kit? Regardless I am looking forward to build completion

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Finally started on the base today . Got myself a tub of tile adhesive ( about £2 , Home Bargains ) which I spread onto the base , not too thickly . Once it looked like a Ryvita covered in philadelphia it was time to think about how i was going to get the ploughed field effect. A bit of cardboard was sourced and the outer layer stripped off to reveal the corrugated middle , which once dragged over the adhesive gave me the furrows I needed . A sprinkle with sand and a few tiny stones and it looked about right. IMG_3942.jpegIMG_3943.jpegIMG_3944.jpegIMG_3945.jpegIMG_3946.jpegIMG_3947.jpegIMG_3948.jpegIMG_3949.jpeg
The model was protected with some cling film and then dragged / scraped over the surface to represent the skid mark caused by the belly landing . The two underwing radiators left a nice pair of tracks . Its now drying and tomorrow I can look at getting some paint on it and adding a few bits of vegetation IMG_3950.jpegIMG_3951.jpeg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Cool idea to use some corrugated card :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Got the decals on today , next for the airframe is a coat of matt and then plenty of muckying up. IMG_3958.jpeg
Meanwhile the base has dried , but a lot of the sand and stones are still loose . This was sorted by the liberal application of hairspray . This has stuck everything in place ( and made it smell nice!) so hopefully when I spray it brown the airbrush wont blow it all off . IMG_3957.jpeg
Ive also made a start on the figures , just a bit of highlighting and painting the various straps and kit to be done IMG_3956.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Base has had its first couple of coats of brown , the sand all stayed put! It’ll be getting more coats and a bit of variation then I can look at getting a bit of vegetation on. Ive finished the two figures , not brilliant but at this scale im happy .IMG_3963.jpegIMG_3962.jpeg