Airfix 1/72 bf109e-4 Franz von Werra

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
This is coming on really well Tony. The 109 looks excellent with the fine paint job and now decalled up. Those figures look rather nice - certainly better than I thought Zvezda snap together ones would be. The ploughed field is brilliant. Clever idea that's worked very well.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
This is coming on really well Tony. The 109 looks excellent with the fine paint job and now decalled up. Those figures look rather nice - certainly better than I thought Zvezda snap together ones would be. The ploughed field is brilliant. Clever idea that's worked very well.
Cheers jim , yes the figures arent too bad considering , theyre not up to the standard of the 3D printed ones I got recently - those are superbly detailed - even makes my painting look good!

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I love this build - I did say that I thought panel lines a bit deep but it is such a cracking good paint result - some pin wash will probably accentuate those panels in a great way. Very impressive!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking excellent, mucker....

I've been using corrugated cardboard as scale ploughed fields for quite some time now. So simple, effective and for free too. Can be a bit of a pig splitting the stuff though!

You have succeeded very well. Nice and neat.

Plantin Taters.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The aircraft has now been weathered and muckied up . It got a selective panel line wash , exhaust staining and black ,oily smoke marks on the starboard fuselage side as per the pic . Theres just a few last bits to do now , namely the aerial and wire, machine guns ,nav lights and the canopy to fit - undecided yet if im going to have it open or not . IMG_4001.jpegIMG_4002.jpegIMG_4006.jpegIMG_4008.jpegIMG_4009.jpeg

The base has also had some work done , after struggling to think what I could use , I decided to look in the garden and found some tiny moss like weeds . The base had holes drilled in it and they were planted one by one with superglue. A couple of random grass clumps were also added with some flock , sprinkled over a drop of superglue then the whole thing given a misting of hairspray again to fix the loose flock . While I was at it I added the clump of plants wrapped around the tail wheel again using the moss stuff . IMG_4003.jpegIMG_4004.jpegIMG_4005.jpegIMG_4007.jpeg

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The aircraft has now been weathered and muckied up . It got a selective panel line wash , exhaust staining and black ,oily smoke marks on the starboard fuselage side as per the pic . Theres just a few last bits to do now , namely the aerial and wire, machine guns ,nav lights and the canopy to fit - undecided yet if im going to have it open or not . View attachment 507590View attachment 507591View attachment 507592View attachment 507593View attachment 507594

The base has also had some work done , after struggling to think what I could use , I decided to look in the garden and found some tiny moss like weeds . The base had holes drilled in it and they were planted one by one with superglue. A couple of random grass clumps were also added with some flock , sprinkled over a drop of superglue then the whole thing given a misting of hairspray again to fix the loose flock . While I was at it I added the clump of plants wrapped around the tail wheel again using the moss stuff . View attachment 507597View attachment 507598View attachment 507599View attachment 507600
Great work!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Very nice Tony. Love the mucky rust effect you have created on the underside.
Cheers steve , I thought I’d add a bit of muck to the undersides even though most of it wont be seen , the leading edges and tops of the wings however would have had a fair bit of soil thrown up on them so I might add a bit more to those .

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Are you going to put some mg strikes on?
I thought about it paul , im sure there would be some somewhere , after all the aircraft was shot down rather than just running out of fuel or a mechanical problem. The problem is there arent any visible in any of the photos of his aircraft . I might put a few on the port side of the engine cowling .

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Tony, the Crashed Enemy Aircraft Report noted, "Starboard wing showed many .303 strikes". That doesn't mean that there were none elsewhere, but that is where they were most noticeable to an observer standing next to the aircraft on the ground.

P/O Stapleton's Combat Report notes that, "I attacked him [von Werra] from the low quarter, he dived vertically towards the ground and flattened at ground level. I then did a series of beam attacks from both sides, and the e/a was turning into my attacks. He finally force landed. He tried to set his machine on fire by taking off his jacket, setting fire to it, and putting it into the cockpit. He was prevented by the L.D.V." Stapleton would have fired several hundred rounds in those attacks, though unhelpfully, Stapleton did not fill that in when he made his report. He didn't fill much in, but I suppose he and his squadron were a bit busy.

See below:

Stapme 1.jpg

Stapme 2.jpg

Last edited:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Just had a really enjoyable read of your build Tony. I seriously regret missing this somehow. An incredible build. I especially like the debris around the tail wheel!!! Brought back a few memories!!! A loverly job.
PS (Post action reports are a tad longer these days!!!!)