Airfix 1/72 CAC Boomerang under construction

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
STOP PRESS : after doing even more research (theres a lot of conflicting info regarding boomerang colour schemes) I found a photograph of the machine im doing , which clearly shows overall foliage green , so the sky blue is going to get oversprayed ! pics to come later , cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
After the find of the photograph of A -QE ,the airfix instructions were ignored and the boomer has had the overall foliage green applied . A coat of Klear has been put on and its looking ok , although the pre shading which I was quite chuffed about doesnt really show in the photo, but its there honest!! next job , framing the crash moulded canopy and getting the undercarriage ready. cheers tony

View attachment 51736

P1110067 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Quick update, the decals are on and its had another coat of klear to seal everything in. I used my usual method of putting the decal onto a drop of klear to help avoid silvering and it also seems to help the decal soften and conform to the surface . Other progress is in the wheel department , the kit wheels being ok but quite hollow on one side , i got round this by cutting a couple of slices off a hollow styrene tube and gluing them in the wheel . Ive also made the rather odd shaped pitot tube out of brass tube and rod , as the kit one wasnt up to much. progress now should speed up a bit as theres only the undercarriage, canopy and final matt coat , weathering and bits and bobs to do . cheers tony

View attachment 51885

View attachment 51886

View attachment 51887

View attachment 51888

View attachment 51889

P1110088 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110089 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110091 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110092 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110093 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
The Boomerang is coming along nicely Tony, I think this was the best scheme for sure.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
So you finished that stunning Su 9 as a break from this then? Wish I could get my best kits to look anywhere near as good as your "relaxed, easy" builds!

Gern

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Got to admit Tony, i missed this build mate but enjoyed reading through it. You've put in some nice detail, you must have eyes like a hawk working in 1/72 scale lol.

Have fun, John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Heres the completed crash moulded canopy , after framing. I used adhesive aluminium tape for the frames , cut into strips and painted before sticking onto the acetate canopy. The airframe has had a bit of a black wash on the control surfaces and is ready for the matt coat , after which theres going to be a little bit more weathering - this particular aircraft was based in Borneo during 1945 at Labuan airstrip , a soft grass strip which could get very muddy in places , there being quite a few landing accidents due to aircraft hitting soft areas on the runway. The aircraft i'm doing - QE-A -was written off in a crash in 1945 but i cant find out if it was due to the runway or something else. Anyways the upshot is that i can make the undercarriage and undersides a bit muddy , which should be fun! ,heres the pics , cheers tony

View attachment 51997

View attachment 51998

P1110105 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110106 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
You've found a lot of info on this aircraft Tony, the weathering should be very interesting.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The boomer is NEARLY done! Ive given the model a final matt coat and kept the weathering down to exhaust staining and muddy wheels. The position lights have been added from tiny bits of stretched sprue (green) and stretched bits of a clear red acrylic toothbrush (red) Ive also added the aerial and wires , and a rear view mirror above the windscreen using the rear of one of the gems out of the nail art set (see unconventional materials thread http://www.scale-models.co.uk/quick-tips/7842-unconventional-modelling-materials-list-10.html post no 98) which were also used for the landing lights.Heres a few pics of the cockpit in close up before the canopy goes on in the open position . Im going to put this on a scenic base so i'll put a load of completed pics on a finished thread when ive done it, cheers tony

View attachment 52828

View attachment 52829

View attachment 52830

View attachment 52831

View attachment 52832

View attachment 52833

P1110155 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110162 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110164 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110165 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110166 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110167 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
All that cockpit work really stands out, even in 1:72. Great job. A muddy gras strip - I can see it now................mud every where.............

Colin M...

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
All that cockpit work really stands out, even in 1:72. Great job. A muddy gras strip - I can see it now................mud every where.............Colin M...
Calm yourself colin! its not going to be a total mudfest, I know you love a dirty bird but this is just going to be slightly mucky!! Saying that though, the airfield at Labuan , Borneo where my aircraft was based did have a tendency to get very muddy due to heavy rain storms and did in fact cause at least two boomerangs to be written off in landing accidents , getting caught in sticky patches on the grass runway. cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well , its finally finished!! Ive made a small base representing the muddy airstrip and took a shed load of pics. The finished article can be found on the 'completed' thread in aircraft pictures. thanks to everyone whos had the patience to follow the build!! cheers tony ...............ok you didnt think i was going to finish this thread without a pic did you? heres just one to put a lid on this bit.

View attachment 52980

P1110176 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

First Name
Dave
That's a great build Tony.I like the base.It really adds to the model.Im going to have to look into this diorama business.