Airfix 1/72 CAC Boomerang under construction

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I just kept dry fitting and fettling until it was a really tight fit , then just a smear of vallejo fine putty and wiped off with a wet finger. I lost a little of the rivet detail on the fuselage seams but im going to try and re instate it (but i dont know how yet!!) cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

Tony its coming along nicely! Great detail work on the office !

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Tailplanes on and ive had a go at re-instating the rivet lines lost on the spine, with vallejo putty and a needle! Next hurdle is masking the cockpit without breaking anything off , i think im going to use the cut off bit of kit canopy and glue it on with Maskol and fill in any gaps with the same , then when paintworks done i can take it off ready for the crash moulded replacement. tony

View attachment 50893

View attachment 50894

P1100968 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100970 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

W

wbk666

im building the same kit but it wont end up anything like as good as this one.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Finally starting to look like a model, now its in the primer. The rivet detail looks quite nice , and the temporary canopy/mask seems to be ok. Ive got to add the cannons before painting , or should i say ive got to MAKE and add the cannons before painting ! The kit supplied ones are just not up to it , having a seam line running all down both sides , by the time ive cleaned them up theyre not going to be usable. Ive heated and stretched a piece of styrene tube to give me the tapered shrouds, all ive got to do now is the barrels with their recoil springs and muzzles with brass tube and wire. heres the pics . tony

View attachment 50945

View attachment 50946

P1110007 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110015 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ok, its time for the cannons. The airfix offering is , quite understandably, not ideal . Obviously no-one is going to be able to mould a tiny cylindrical tapering shape like this and not get mould seam lines so lets not be too harsh on airfix. After i had stretched the styrene tube i cut it to the same size as the kit shroud and then got some 1.0mm(approx) brass tube. I used one of the pieces to wrap around a single strand of copper wire , courtesy of an old bit of 15 amp lighting cable, to form the springs . Once cut to the correct length the springs were slipped over the tube , and the tube inserted into the shroud. A tiny drop of superglue and both were fixed.All that needed adding now was a thin strip of tamiya tape to form the end and bobs your teapot! they just need careful painting and fastening on last off tony

View attachment 50957

View attachment 50958

View attachment 50959

View attachment 50960

View attachment 50961

View attachment 50962

P1110022 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110023 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110024 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110025 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110026 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110027 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

First Name
Andy
This is looking great, may I ask if you are or have the eyes of Superman, because the small detailing is outstanding Sir...

C

CDW

Thats one impressive piece of 1/72 scratch building, i doth me cap to thee!!

M

mobear

great scratch building there,although mad man does seem appropriate at this point in time lol

mobear

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Been following this in the background but those guns deserve comment. That's a great bit of scratching there Tony. Nice work!

Ian M

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Tony like the rest have said, some very impressive scratch building on this kit looking very good, very good indeed

T

treyzx10r

Tony those cannon barrels are over the top and 1/72 scale!!! I'm ashamed of my 1/48 scale ones now,very humbling Dude;)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Amazing work Tony, every time I view this build progress there is something new to impress.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
When Tony starts a 1:72, you know we're in for something of a treat.
Look what I said back in March - now look at the cannons. March, flippin' heck Tony, I think I've lost my crown as the slowest builder here.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Look what I said back in March - now look at the cannons. March, flippin' heck Tony, I think I've lost my crown as the slowest builder here.
I know! i cant believe its taken me so long , mind you i have got 2 vultee vengeances and a sukhoi su9 on the go at the same time , its like buses you wait ages then four come along at the same time!! Hopefully ill be getting some paint on it when the votes are counted , at the mo its evens at 4 all! cheers tony

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Wow Tony, this build has been awesome, the scratch building is just amazing.

Tony.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
At last the paint has started to go on ! After deciding on the sky blue undersides with foliage green upper , i pre-shaded the model and got a coat of the underside colour. This is a pale green blue very similar to raf sky , so I mixed it up using tamiya acrylics until it looked just about right , using walkaround pics of various aussie aircraft in museums to get a good idea of the colour. I ended up using a mix of 1 part xf 14 IJN grey with 1 part xf 2 flat white . Next step the foliage green upper surfaces , another custom mix! Cheers tony

View attachment 51668

View attachment 51669

P1110057 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110066 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

T

treyzx10r

Nice Tony,I like that you used the belly tank as well .I was on the fence about leaving mine on and opted not to at the last minute. Looking forward to seeing the Green go on!